Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
I seem to have stumbled across an incredibly simple yet tasty honey tobacco hybrid using FA Honey. I followed the advice in the notes section of e-liquid recipes to dilute the initial concentrate with pg: "I suggest making a small bottle of 10% FA Honey (90% PG/VG) and using that as your flavoring bottle. Using 1% from that bottle gives you 0.1% flavoring - which is a 'spoonful' of honey flavor in a recipe." Mixed 1% of the diluted concentrate with a recently extracted Burley Blend (North Star) extract and after a week of steeping it really does taste great. I imagine the it would work similarly well with other extracts too.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Looks like I'm not the only one that enjoys mixing/blending extracts. :) One of the many advantages of making NETs is you can mix-n-match them however you want.

I don't recall having ever extracted C&D Red Virginia Ribbon, does it have a hay/straw flavor note?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I seem to have stumbled across an incredibly simple yet tasty honey tobacco hybrid using FA Honey..... QUOTE]

At one time I used honey flavoring in several of my hybrids, really enjoyed the taste especially when mixed with graham cracker and a touch of clove. Unfortunately for me my better half complained about the smell, honey is one of the few flavorings that can add a distinctive scent to exhaled vapor. As a forty year marriage veteran (with a truck load of purple hearts) I reluctantly conceded and stopped using it. ;)

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Speaking of Red Virginia and blending, I've been enjoying an extract recently finished and vaping well, a homespun pipe blend conjured up by a guy named Steve Williamson (RIP) back in the day at alt.smokers.pipes, something he wryly used to call Cajun Half n' Half:

45% McClelland 5100 Red Cake McClelland No. 5100 Red Cake - Pipes and Cigars
45% Gold Burley
10% Perique

I extracted the tobaccos already blended (and aged at length), the McClelland Red Virgina alone is not bad, accessible and affordable, but the addition of the other components offers a unique and satisfying taste.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
From P&C
You've probably heard by now that all the Dunhill blends will be discontinued in the near future. We had no idea that this would be happening when we put together our calendar deals for this year, so if you're a Dunhill fan, you've caught a break because our March calendar deal is Buy 3, Get 1 Free on all Dunhill tins, and because of this email, we're going to extend it until April 4th, so you still have time to stock up!

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
The Hammer has fallen on Dunhill. You may order til the end of the month at Pipes and Cigars: :-x
You've probably heard by now that all the Dunhill blends will be discontinued in the near future. We had no idea that this would be happening when we put together our calendar deals for this year, so if you're a Dunhill fan, you've caught a break because our March calendar deal is Buy 3, Get 1 Free on all Dunhill tins, and because of this email, we're going to extend it until April 4th, so you still have time to stock up! :nah:

-Russ
March Calendar Deal Dunhill Buy 3 Get 1 Free - Pipes and Cigars

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Dunhill Plans Exit From Cigar & Pipe Business

One of the most storied names in the world of cigars and pipes is going away.

Tobacco giant British American Tobacco is planning to no longer offer Dunhill cigars and pipe tobaccos.

“British American Tobacco (BAT) has informed us of their intention to exit the handmade cigar and pipe tobacco business for the Dunhill brands, said Régis Broersma, president of General Cigar Co., which makes Dunhill cigars and distributes them in the U.S.

“As this process will take approximately 12-18 months to complete, it will be business as usual; therefore, there will be no change to the way in which we manufacture, market and sell the Dunhill items in our portfolio in the near future. We are currently in talks with BAT to discuss the future of the brand.”

British American Tobacco has no plans to stop selling Dunhill tobacco products. Dunhill cigarettes remain a core part of the company’s premium offerings. BAT’s Dunhill business is different from the company’s luxury goods and accessories which is owned by the luxury group Richemont.

Earlier this week, British American Tobacco announced that it will merge with Reynolds American, creating the largest publicly-traded tobacco company in the world.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
we could lose many other cigars/pipe tobaccos in the next 18 months.

Although the lost of certain tobacco will be very sad, it would be nice to have an exhaustive list of tobaccos which were around before 2007... those will most likely be around for the long haul. ;)

But, we should all cellar our favorites before they disappear.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Last year I researched the date my favorite tobaccos debuted on the market and the only ones I was concerned might be impacted by the deeming were "Acid" cigars and H&H "Louisiana Red". I bought a couple of boxes of the Acid cigars and an ample amount of LR. Dunhill pipe tobaccos have been around for a long time. "Nightcap" is one of their newer blends and it was introduced back in 1951. "Royal Yacht", "Durbar", "My Mixture" and a few other Dunhill pipe tobaccos are over a century old. I'm not sure the deeming has anything to do with their exit from the market. Dunhill's (BAT's) decision to sell out to Reynolds American and Reynolds strategic marketing plans may be what's actually driving this. Reynolds American is the parent company of RJ Reynolds tobacco co., Santa Fe Natural tobacco co. (Natural American Spirit cigarettes) and RJ Reynolds Vapor co. (Vuse cig-a-likes). They clearly have no interest in cigars/pipe tobaccos...

Some interesting times ahead to be sure, especially if H&H closes shop like they've hinted they may do. I suspect many newer tobacco blends and cigars (those introduced post 2007) will simply exit the market, it's just too expensive to comply with FDA requirements especially for small to mid sized companies (like H&H, Sutliff, Seattle pipe club etc..). Only time will tell because the tobacco companies are very tight lipped about their plans. Fortunately, I have the resources necessary to acquire and store tobacco in bulk, just need -advanced notice- before they're pulled from the shelves. I didn't get that notice for one of my all time favorites; The Smoker's "St James", one day it was simply gone/unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread