Status
Not open for further replies.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
This morning I had Early Morning and this afternoon it's Deluxe Navy Rolls. I have a couple of tins of Navy Rolls boxed up in the closet with some others. Should really get more Louisiana Red...

Last year when P&C had another Dunhill sale I stocked up a little. Here's what I have of theirs:
2x Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls 1.76 oz
Dunhill Flake 1.76 oz
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture 5.28 oz
Dunhill Nightcap 3.52 oz
Dunhill Dubur 1.76 oz
Dunhill Early Morning 1.76 oz
Dunhill Standard 3.52 oz
Dunhill Mixture 965 1.76 oz

Others in the stash:
Balkan Sasieni 1.76 oz
Cornell and Deihl Exclusive 2 oz
Drew Estate Meat Pie 1.75 oz
2x Escudo Navy De luxe 1.76 oz
G L Pease Westminster 4 oz
G L Pease Jackknife 2 oz
Gawith Hoggarth Louisiana Perique Flake 4 oz
Hearth and Home Ten to Midnight 1.5 oz
John Cotton Smyrna 1.76 oz
Mac Baren Bold Kentucky 1.75 oz
Meier Dutch Bengal Slices 1.75 oz
Orlik Golden Slice 1.76 oz
Peter Stokkebye Pistachio 1 oz
Peter Stokkebye Whiskey 2 oz
Samuel Gawith St. James Flake 8 oz
Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture 1.76 oz
Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake 1.75 oz
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake 3.5 oz
Samuel Gawith Black XX 1.76 oz
Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River 4 oz
Sutliff Molto Dolce 2 oz

Some regulars, some to try.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Dunhill cigars and pipe tobaccos may just be the beginning, we could lose many other cigars/pipe tobaccos in the next 18 months. H&H "Louisiana Red" and Drew Estates Acid line of cigars are on my endangered species watch list.

RATS!!

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Instances of P&C being "out of stock" or "backordered" has been increasing at a steady rate for the past two years, its become common even for popular high volume tobacco blends/cigars. Such was a rare occurrence 10 years ago. I really don't know what to make of it but can say I don't like the feel. It's like they're maintaining minimum inventory while debating rather or not to stay in business.

In addition to buying a pound or two of "Nightcap" I need to stockpile "Elizabethan Mixture" too (it's currently backordered of course). These two are my favorites from Dunhill's line of tobaccos.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Sorry to hear that, the war of attrition on tobacco continues I guess.

Not too long ago, as a waning pipe smoker, I was puzzling with the then almost embarrassing question of what to do with a relatively large stash of cellared tobacco. Making and vaping NETs has offered a reprieve from that temporary moment of uncertainty :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.............Not too long ago, as a waning pipe smoker, I was puzzling with the then almost embarrassing question of what to do with a relatively large stash of cellared tobacco. Making and vaping NETs has offered a reprieve from that temporary moment of uncertainty :)

I was a pipe smoker as well, Lane 1Q was an old-time favorite. When I first started making NETs I had eight pounds of leftover tobacco on hand which fueled my early experiments in flavor extraction. Unfortunately, the types of tobacco I enjoyed smoking weren't well suited for making NET as they produced a generic somewhat anemic tobacco flavor. Back then I relied on buying retail NETs from NET.com, MVJ, HHV and the steam distilled NETs once offered by Ahlusion. It wasn't until I discovered ECF and lurked around in this forum that I began experimenting with other tobaccos and found that some extract better than others. I would -never- have smoked my current favorite tobaccos for making NET. I find that both amusing and interesting. I didn't really like cigars until I tasted a cigar NET, now I'm a big fan but only in vape form. :)

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Lane 1Q is probably the best selling pipe tobacco in the US and has been for some time. Though truth be told I never much cared for aromatics. My dad smoked a pipe and I toyed with pipe smoking as a young man but left it alone for many years. Later on, middling years, I came back to it.

This was partly because of my local tobacconist and was fortunate to have, to my mind anyway, a great, old school, B&M shop near to where I lived at the time. A family business started in the 1940's, it was then run by Mr. P, a true gentleman, erudite and knowledgeable, generous with his time, always dapper in bow tie and tweed. His son was a carver, they had a blending room in the basement and had a great selection of branded tobaccos and cigars.

There was something of an informal pipe club that used to gather there, Tuesday nights. We'd open tins, try blends and bs about tobacco and briar. I enjoyed the heck out of it and learned a lot, mostly I learned what I liked.

Though no less chagrined today to hear about retailers notifying customers about lines of tobacco being discontinued or shorted, it comes at little surprise. The way of tobacco, the way it used to be, is going away. I suspect in another decade or so it will be all but past.

We used to discuss this on those long gone Tuesday nights and that, plus a myriad of topics and the world of tobacco, informed in large part what I currently have in my cellar.

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
...............There was something of an informal pipe club that used to gather there, Tuesday nights. We'd open tins, try blends and bs about tobacco and briar. I enjoyed the heck out of it and learned a lot, mostly I learned what I liked......

This is how I view our interactions in this thread/forum although It would be better if in person I'll take what I can get. ;)

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I doubt the availability of many tobaccos will go away anytime soon. Prices may rise and the waiting period for receiving an order may be extended but that's the way of the world these days. Never the less I think I'm going to start stockpiling my favorites since a pound of most tobacco blends can be had for less than $40. It's a bit ironic that I'd have more tobacco lying around than back when I actually smoked it but 10 pounds or so would supply my NET needs for decades. Like my liquid nic such a stockpile would divorce government from the equation entirely.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
On a brighter note, the three American Spirits I've extracted, Blue, Perique, and Natural have really developed into fine, satisfying juices. They took their sweet time getting full but, if worse comes to worse, the pouches should be readily available at a little shop half a block away from me.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
IMG_4076.PNG
I need to stockpile "Elizabethan Mixture" too (it's currently backordered of course)

I know the original is... well, original. But, at least there are folks out there that perhaps get darned close to the original. Might come in handy in the future... just say'ins all. ;)

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014

1. JimInksWell-Known Member
    It's worth buying. I've smoked several pounds of it. 4Noggins has the best price for it in bulk. Here's my review:

I’ve compared this to the original (which once was a regular smoke for me) and I'd say this blend is fairly close, but not an exact match. It’s certainly closer than the current DE production by Dunhill, which I consider to be inferior to both the original and the Sutliff Match. The Murray’s version was a little more complex in taste, and had just a little more bright lemon Virginia. The perique is very peppery in both, slightly more plumy here. The brown Virginia is virtually identical. As much as I liked the Murray’s product, I like this Match very much, and would say it may be as close as you can get. A little more sprinkling of lemon Va., and it’d virtually be the same. Because the new version is different from the Murray’s, which is what the Match attempted to copy, I would not consider them to be similar. The proportion of ingredients in the new version is different and the shag cut is as well.

The Murray’s version of DE was one of the very few blends m'lady openly complained about. When they quit making it, she was very happy. A couple of years back, I tried the Match for the first time. Five minutes after I started smoking it, she came back to the studio and said, "Are you smoking that crap again? I thought they quit making it." Telling me that she recognized the smell after several years just struck me kinda funny. That, besides the taste, amplified my assessment that the Match is close indeed.

Mar 1, 2016

So, I located this on pipesmokersforum -dot- com, concerning the match for DH Elizabethan. Looks/reads to me like this match may be worth the purchase/gamble. I realize there is a big diffence between the flavor of a tobacco blend when vaped as opposed to set on fire and inhaled... and this is just one persons opinion on the "match"... but his opinion is not in the raging hyperbole realm.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.....So, I located this on pipesmokersforum -dot- com, concerning the match for DH Elizabethan. Looks/reads to me like this match may be worth the purchase/gamble. I realize there is a big diffence between the flavor of a tobacco blend when vaped as opposed to set on fire and inhaled...

I agree, definitely sounds like the "match" blend of Elizabethan is worth sampling. The description of the Perique is what peaks my interest. I've also heard that Dunhill's current reincarnation of "Nightcap" isn't as good as the original blend was. Perhaps the "match" version of Nightcap is worth a try as well.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Instances of P&C being "out of stock" or "backordered" has been increasing at a steady rate for the past two years, its become common even for popular high volume tobacco blends/cigars. Such was a rare occurrence 10 years ago. I really don't know what to make of it but can say I don't like the feel. It's like they're maintaining minimum inventory while debating rather or not to stay in business.

No kidding! I have been looking into ordering a cellaring batch over the past couple of days... geez-o-pete... OOS on way too many of my faves! Very sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread