retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
One name I'm hearing right now a lot when it comes to malicious activity is Mirai botnets. I'm not going to link anything because im not educated on the topic but I suggest other people who are having problems do some research into the diagnosis and removal of it.

Mirai botnets have nothing to do with card compromises. They're used in distributed denial of service attacks using IoT devices.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
On the rare occasion I need to be in Windows, I like Bitdefender.

Welp, scratch that one from my list of recommended products. Ran into an issue with it where it just flat refused to update itself. Even went as far as nuking it from the machine, cleaning things up and reinstalling. No dice. And their support in their forums is non-existent.

Installed Avast again. Let's see if they've improved since I last used them.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Remote Administration Tools are nothing new and have been around for nearly 20 years. One of the first was called BackOrifice and was released by Cult of the Dead Cow. And while tools of that nature can indeed record your keystrokes (keylogger), the ones today are much more sophisticated.

However, most crooks are going to attempt to get you to click on a malicious email attachment or drop malware via malvertising.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Installed Avast again. Let's see if they've improved since I last used them.

They haven't. **grumble** Still using FUD to get you to buy their full product line, and the "in your face" advertising is as annoying as ever.

Off it goes. Trying Avira next (can't remember why I nuked it the last time).

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
They haven't. **grumble** Still using FUD to get you to buy their full product line, and the "in your face" advertising is as annoying as ever.
Off it goes. Trying Avira next (can't remember why I nuked it the last time).
You may have had the idea that you would get something good for nearly free and not hear about how much better Avira can be if you send them "a little" more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread