Wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meinxerces

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2017
Colorado
Hey guys, so I've been playing around with the wattage on my mod. When I got it three days ago I had it on 22.5 but today Ive got it down to 18.5 I feel like I get a cooler hit at that wattage which I prefer. Also less of a throat hit which I also like better. What are your thoughts on this?? Too low? What do you guys have your wattage at?? Thanks!

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Watts = vapor! Every time you double your watts, you double the amount of liquid you're consuming.

If your wick can't wick enough juice the coil will overheat.

On throat hit, if you've receiving less juice per puff you'll get less throat hit. Another way to change throat hit profile is to use lower nicotine vape juice and/or liquids with less PG.

Hope that helps :)

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Hey guys, so I've been playing around with the wattage on my mod. When I got it three days ago I had it on 22.5 but today Ive got it down to 18.5 I feel like I get a cooler hit at that wattage which I prefer. Also less of a throat hit which I also like better. What are your thoughts on this?? Too low? What do you guys have your wattage at?? Thanks!
you're doing fine, don't let the high wattage frenzy confuse you, vape it the way you like it, your batteries and your juice will last allot longer, Welcome to ECF!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Wattage all depends on what the coil or atomizer you are using can handle. If I fire an Aspire 1.8Ω BVC at 18 watts is will burn and I will need to change it. If I try to fire an X4 Quad Baby Beast coil at 18 watts I will be sucking air. To answer your question we need to know the tank and atomizer coil you are using.

Meinxerces

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2017
Colorado
Wattage all depends on what the coil or atomizer you are using can handle. If I fire an Aspire 1.8Ω BVC at 18 watts is will burn and I will need to change it. If I try to fire an X4 Quad Baby Beast coil at 18 watts I will be sucking air. To answer your question we need to know the tank and atomizer coil you are using.

Dang. I don't know all the technical terms and stuff yet. I got this mod and atomizer from my brother in law. He recently got a new one and I'm on day three of no cigarettes and only vaping. I'll post pics. Maybe you guy's will know a little more about it if I do that.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Pics are good to know what you're using. The generic answer is that everyone has their own sweet spot with the same setup. If 18W is giving you a good vape, that where you stay. There is no law which states you have to use it at the recommended wattage. In fact I find them frequently inflated, so being on the lower end is not unusual for me.

Meinxerces

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2017
Colorado
Here it is.

Attachments

• vape.jpg
    vape.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 48

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Meinxerces
Oliver hasn't exactly explained it right and it's not quite that simple. Firstly the wattage you throw at your coil depends primarily on 2 things, the coil's resistance (which you haven't mentioned) and what you like (which really is probably the overall deciding factor).

The higher the coil's resistance the lower the wattage. There are lots of guidelines listed for wattage ranges but those are simply other's ideas of what works best, for them presumably. Other factors also effect the wattage setting such as the type and design of the tank, the juice your using, your airflow setting, among others.

Trick is to find what you like as a power setting so you can set it and reset it to your heart's content. Don't expect it to stay the same. You may find yourself vaping at one setting in the evening but then changing that setting the next morning, same juice, same tank, same everything except how you are finding it to your liking or not.

Too low a power setting will usually give little vapor and be a very wet and gurgly vape usually with a very strong (sometimes too strong) taste. As you increase the power the gurgles turn to hisses and the vapor cloud grows and the taste gets less. Keep going and the taste begins to disappear as the clouds grow and the vape becomes drier & warmer. Keep going and the taste will go completely though the vapor clouds won't just keep getting bigger and the vape is becoming very warm. At the higher power levels you are now risking a dry hit where the coil has gotten very hot and singed the cotton. That will taste like a burning T shirt.

Somewhere in or around the middle is where you'll usually find your sweet spot but where ever it is its yours and likely no one else's. To find it you should start with a very low power setting say 5 or 10 w's and work slowly upwards. That will begin to acquaint you with how the varying power effects the vape. You will know when you've gone too far and the vape quality is decreasing and then head back down again until you find what you like. You can also play with the airflow. Generally less airflow means a tastier wetter vape while more airflow results in the opposite.

Have fun, experiment, play. If you do taste a burning cotton taste then your problem may be too much power, too little juice or too little airflow. Catch it quickly then normally no problem. Scorch it badly and you'll have to install a new coil. When you taste a burnt taste stop vaping immediately and either turn down your power, give your coil a chance to wick more juice, and/or open your your airflow up more.

Meinxerces

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2017
Colorado
Your pic just showed up and your resistance appears to be 1.09 ohms. I'd usually be looking to vape that anywhere from 8w to 24w but other factors can effect it so you've got to find your own setting.
Awesome. Thank you guys so much. Im still getting trying to get the hang of all the technicalities of it. But 1.09 ohms with 18.5 w is what i feel is best for me. Air flow about a quarter of the way open. Tastes great. Big clouds and not too harsh of a throat hit.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
My brother in law replaced the coil and the cotton before gifting it to me. He said it should last me a bit. How often are you guys replacing these things??
it really depends on how often and what juice you vape. All day long on a dark sweet heavily-flavored liquid will funk your coils much faster than occasional puffs on a lighter-colored, lighter-flavored option. Somewhere on the order of "couple times a week" to "every couple weeks."

Meinxerces

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2017
Colorado
I'm not familiar with this particular device; is "222F" the board temperature (seems rather high) or does that mean he's running it in TC mode (in which case it's awfully low, and no one's said anything about wire material)?
I honestly have no idea. It's said 222F since I got it. It's always on that temp. No matter what wattage I have it at.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I'll vape in the 12 watt range, get good flavor, enough clouds, and my preferred throat hit. You have an adjustable mod, try some lower settings to see if it suits YOU. Pleasing you is the number one concern.

It's also amazing how many mods you can buy on clearance because they "only" go to 30 watts. More than double the wattage that has kept me off smokes for a long time now....;)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
18w is enough. Millions of people quit smoking on half (or less) that.
It's certainly elements the vaping industry that wants people to start on 50w, ideally higher. The more $15 juice and $5 coils you can sell is how to get rich quick.
Don't fall for it.
18w might be too low for some coils, but certainly not my $0.85 Joyetechs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread