Cthulhu Gaia RDTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
One of those crazy staggered fused, lol. Not real low resistance, around .3 ohms...I guess the ultim doesn't really get hot, but it's so short that the atty's heat affects the experience. It's not that big a deal, but it does get really hot.
Couldn't tell ya. Have you tried dropping your coils down closer to the airflow holes? Maybe dropping then lower will keep some of the heat away from the top. I imagine higher coils would make things up top hotter. I dunno, I'm just typing out loud. Makes sense in theory though. Lol

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
Couldn't tell ya. Have you tried dropping your coils down closer to the airflow holes? Maybe dropping then lower will keep some of the heat away from the top. I imagine higher coils would make things up top hotter. I dunno, I'm just typing out loud. Makes sense in theory though. Lol
Ya mine never gets hot either,running aliens,.27 ish at 54 watts and using the ultem drip tip and everything stays as cool as a cucumber ;-)

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
54 watts? There's your problem! :) I run mine at between 70 and 80. :) The heat isn't really a problem, more of a minor inconvenience....at least until it burns my lips. :) Using the 510 adapter and a regular drip tip does seem to help. It's definitely not a deal breaker, still love the Gaia!

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
54 watts? There's your problem! :) I run mine at between 70 and 80. :) The heat isn't really a problem, more of a minor inconvenience....at least until it burns my lips. :) Using the 510 adapter and a regular drip tip does seem to help. It's definitely not a deal breaker, still love the Gaia!
Why is it my problem? Am not the one that said it burns my lips lol,am just sharing what build I have and how am running it;-)

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I know, man, just teasing with you. :) One of the things that I love about Cthulhu atties is that they can handle high voltage and high heat with no problem. Starting with the cthulhu v1, they've always used peek insulators and I have never melted one of their insulators, in any of the 6 or so of their atties that I have. I can cool the Gaia down by opening the side airflow a little, surprised that no one suggested that....but it does alter the flavor somewhat. The MTL tank, also by cthulhumods, has become one of my favorite atties; I use it with no restricters in place and get a lovely restricted lung hit from it. I have six favorite rtas now, and three of them are from cthulhu. The cthulhu rta v2 is still probably my top tank...the other five are: Gaia, cthulhu MTL, Aqua v2, Hurricane 1.3, and the Sherman. They're all different, and all give me a topnotch vape when set up properly....so much so that I don't foresee buying any new tanks any time soon.

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
I know, man, just teasing with you. :) One of the things that I love about Cthulhu atties is that they can handle high voltage and high heat with no problem. Starting with the cthulhu v1, they've always used peek insulators and I have never melted one of their insulators, in any of the 6 or so of their atties that I have. I can cool the Gaia down by opening the side airflow a little, surprised that no one suggested that....but it does alter the flavor somewhat. The MTL tank, also by cthulhumods, has become one of my favorite atties; I use it with no restricters in place and get a lovely restricted lung hit from it. I have six favorite rtas now, and three of them are from cthulhu. The cthulhu rta v2 is still probably my top tank...the other five are: Gaia, cthulhu MTL, Aqua v2, Hurricane 1.3, and the Sherman. They're all different, and all give me a topnotch vape when set up properly....so much so that I don't foresee buying any new tanks any time soon.
No worries bud;-) the only gripe I have about the Gaia is when you shut off the side airflow it vapes kinda harsh,it's not as smooth even if you turn the watts down,the other thing I've noticed is that if you have the side Af cracked just a smidg it gets juiced up really quickly and airflow is not as smooth,so I unscrew top cap and clean it out ounce a day and noticed it makes a huge difference,vapes much smoother,just thought I'd share if anybody notices that it starts to crackle or flooder at times that's what's causing it;-)

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
90% of the time, I'm using the botton airflow only, and once in a while I crack the side airflow....I'm kind of a bottom airflow nut, nothing produces better flavor, for me.
No kidding? And it doesn't get noisy on you hey? Wonder why mine does but it's smooth just cracked a bit,are you running your coils on the high side or lower to the air holes? I have mine about middle of the road,not crazy high not too low,I've tried closing it off and running just bottom Af but I find it noisy and turbulent,well I guess like the saying goes if it ain't broken don't fix it right? Lol

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
No kidding? And it doesn't get noisy on you hey? Wonder why mine does but it's smooth just cracked a bit,are you running your coils on the high side or lower to the air holes? I have mine about middle of the road,not crazy high not too low,I've tried closing it off and running just bottom Af but I find it noisy and turbulent,well I guess like the saying goes if it ain't broken don't fix it right? Lol
Nope, I only use bottom airflow, and it's extremely smooth. It's actually the smoothest airflow I've used on an RTA. Most, if not all, of my other RTAs (especially the Pharaoh RTA!) get more noisy/turbulent as I close the airflow off. Not on my two Gaias. I can literally close it off as far as possible and it never makes any odd noises.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
Airflow smooth as butter, it's what makes the Gaia a great one! my coils are about halfway up, maybe a little more up than down. If your bottom airflow is turbulent, check to make sure the path is clear. It should be super smooth. Imo, it's the best flavor configuration, with the 510 driptip adapter, and a stainless steel driptip.

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
Nope, I only use bottom airflow, and it's extremely smooth. It's actually the smoothest airflow I've used on an RTA. Most, if not all, of my other RTAs (especially the Pharaoh RTA!) get more noisy/turbulent as I close the airflow off. Not on my two Gaias. I can literally close it off as far as possible and it never makes any odd noises.
Dam you peta lol why are mine doing the opposit ? Come on peta share the wealth lol,I still thank you for hooking me up with that tilting trick my friend my tanks always fill up now with no issues

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
Airflow smooth as butter, it's what makes the Gaia a great one! my coils are about halfway up, maybe a little more up than down. If your bottom airflow is turbulent, check to make sure the path is clear. It should be super smooth. Imo, it's the best flavor configuration, with the 510 driptip adapter, and a stainless steel driptip.
My Af are clear am very picky when it comes to wicking,but when I shut it down completely it gets turbulent and I know my coils aren't too low,weird,weird I tell you...

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
silly question but you're sure you're lining up the airflow with the proper holes in the deck? you can get it wrong and still have airflow but it'd be all effed up.
Never silly my friend you never know,yes everything is lined up a ok,it's very smooth slightly open,turbulent only when closed off fully that's what makes no sence,I've even tried going down 4-5 watts to see if that would help:-/

franck

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2015
California,USA
Never silly my friend you never know,yes everything is lined up a ok,it's very smooth slightly open,turbulent only when closed off fully that's what makes no sence,I've even tried going down 4-5 watts to see if that would help:-/
Crazy we are all discussing a tank a half a world apart,storm is in Cali,peta is in Miami and am in France lol

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Crazy we are all discussing a tank a half a world apart,storm is in Cali,peta is in Miami and am in France lol
I wonder if it's the coil height @stormjib has his coils a little higher than halfway up the post.

Edit: I just read your coils are halfway on the post. Maybe lower it?

Reactions: franck

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
@franck, the turbulence might be caused by your wicking or the size of the coils you are using. (more likely the wicking) Are you using regular single wire coils, or fused/alien claptons or TC with spaced SS? I'm using a Gaia in TC with spaced SS fused claptons, bottom airflow only, and it's pretty smooth...gets a little whooshier when I open side airflow just a turn or two, but still overall pretty smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread