New to vaping, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

scudzilla

Apr 12, 2017
Hello.

Well, I'm not exactly new. I tried vaping a long time ago with one of those mech vapes. Just recently, I bought a new vape (Smok Guardian III), I decided to replace the tank with a Griffin 25 RTA.

After a week of use, I noticed the taste of the vapor has changed, so I emptied the tank and changed the wick, but the taste was still the same.

I can't really describe the taste, or smell. It's like just like the liquid, only with a slightly burnt smell. Is this the case of a dry hit? Or vaper's tongue.. Do I need to clean the coils more thoroughly, or perhaps I'm just getting used to the liquid?

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Hello and welcome. My guess would be that you just didn't get the atty thoroughly cleaned enough, though you could get a taste like that if you weren't getting quite enough liquid on the coil. Did you clean out all remaining liquid, like rinse the whole atty with water? How did you clean the coil, dry burn?

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Thanks for the reply. I did dry burn to clean the coil, and used cotton to wipe the remaining liquid on the base. As for the tank and mouthpiece, I rinsed with water. Should I also use water on the coil?
I'd suggest rinsing the whole thing(just atty), coil and all,with water, won't hurt anything. Also make sure any gunk on the coil is completely gone. Sometimes it can get really thick, if you leave just a little bit it can impart a bad taste. My usual procedure to clean the coil is to dry burn(hardens up the thick gunk, if any), then immediately hold coil under a trickle of water at the sink after leaving off the power switch(<important). This tends to blow off/loosen up the hard stuff. Depending on how bad it is I may repeat this as necessary and occasionally I'll use a little brush when necessary to help remove some of the more difficult stuff. I usually use those little toothpick brushes.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello.
Well, I'm not exactly new. I tried vaping a long time ago with one of those mech vapes. Just recently, I bought a new vape (Smok Guardian III), I decided to replace the tank with a Griffin 25 RTA.
After a week of use, I noticed the taste of the vapor has changed, so I emptied the tank and changed the wick, but the taste was still the same.
I can't really describe the taste, or smell. It's like just like the liquid, only with a slightly burnt smell. Is this the case of a dry hit? Or vaper's tongue.. Do I need to clean the coils more thoroughly, or perhaps I'm just getting used to the liquid?
Welcome and glad you joined. You may be lucky and be a person with excellent taste buds. You may be picking up burnt flavor at too high a wattage. Might get a few RDA's (easy to clean and change coil+wick) and try different flavors, or unflavored, until you understand whats going on.Could be wattage, e-liquid,your tasting, equipment,etc.....
Might like to read:
http://vape-resource.com/drip_vaping/
2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
What is an Atomizer? E-Cig Terminology Simplified
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners

Reactions: RAH8285

scudzilla

Apr 12, 2017
Welcome and glad you joined. You may be lucky and be a person with excellent taste buds. You may be picking up burnt flavor at too high a wattage. Might get a few RDA's (easy to clean and change coil+wick) and try different flavors, or unflavored, until you understand whats going on.Could be wattage, e-liquid,your tasting, equipment,etc.....
Might like to read:
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
What is an Atomizer? E-Cig Terminology Simplified
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners

Hmm I don't think I can handle dripping every 5-10 puffs for much of a day. But this seems like a good idea for when I crave for a few puffs of a different flavor. Do RDA users change wick every time they change fluids?

Reactions: BrotherBob

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hmm I don't think I can handle dripping every 5-10 puffs for much of a day. But this seems like a good idea for when I crave for a few puffs of a different flavor. Do RDA users change wick every time they change fluids?

I don't, not unless I am changing from fruits to tobacco or bakery or something. :)

Reactions: scudzilla

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
Hello.

I wonder if I might ask a few questions? I personally have gone through a long process with vaping and hardware - kind of crawl walk and now just getting to run. If you catch my drift. If you're relatively inexperienced are you maybe jumping in the deep end using complex kit/building fairly early. Now my learning process has stood me in good stead as I get to the tricky stuff without having the information overload of the early doors learning too. Now to be fair I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but it has really helped me persist as I didn't get swamped with confusion. These guys here will give you great advice as many are experienced builders but there are also a lot of good YouTube tutorials too which are easy to learn from as you can see it for yourself. With my pre built coils for example I have a complex process of soaking in alcohol then hot water etc etc that I devised from watching a bunch of tutorials but my word with 4 vapers in the house on a budget our coils are performing incredibly for months on end. This is the sort of learning and research that is making my transition into building pretty smooth. I've probably misunderstood and never want to insult anyone's intelligence and that is not the intent. Just wondering if a step back in complexion short term might help your development?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Not necessarily, sure maybe a few puffs if you are a super low sub-ohm'r with a standard RDA deck.
I use deep well (Magma,Origen V1 & V3 ) RDA's. Deep wells are like mini tanks and give the best taste available. Deep wells can be cleaned/new wicked in a minute and be ready for a new juice for the lowest cost. As to portability, air holes (rubber slip rings) and drip tips (can) can be quickly sealed/unsealed to insure no leakage during transport.
As to changing wicks every flavor change, it only takes a minute, I do. When I'm out, I usually start out with a cream mix (the weaker) and when I want a flavor change, I will vape down the cream and go to a stronger mix right over the cream. I'm at 1.5 to 2 ohm sing. coil, so my deep wells will last 45 min. without refilling. YMMV

Reactions: scudzilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread