Smoke V8 stick way too hot and harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marybratti

Apr 23, 2017
Hi everyone. I just bought a Smoke v8 kit.This is an unregulated. I primed the coil and can't even take a hit longer than a half a second. It's so hard it hurts my chest and the tip gets hot. I changed to the .25 coil and that's not any better. I used to use the KangerTech nano and I always preferred a lower wattage. I'm using a 6 mg VG juice. Has anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
It's unregulated. So I guess at full battery 4.2.
You guess correctly. It's rated at 3.4 - 4.2 volts, so the output is going to drop as its used.

Doing the math, at 4.2 volts (fully charged) on a .25 ohm coil would give you just about 70 watts. Nowadays, that's not that crazy, but if your wick isn't fully saturated, it's obviously going to lead to a very nasty vape.

When you say you primed the coil, what did you do? Those coils have a LOT of cotton in them and really need to be fully saturated.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi everyone. I just bought a Smoke V8 kit.This is an unregulated. I primed the coil and can't even take a hit longer than a half a second. It's so hard it hurts my chest and the tip gets hot. I changed to the .25 coil and that's not any better. I used to use the KangerTech nano and I always preferred a lower wattage. I'm using a 6 mg VG juice. Has anyone else experience this?

Hi Mary.

For a Mechanical Mod, or for a Direct Output Mod where you Can't change the Voltage/Wattage, all the Adjustments of the Hit you get are on the Coil Ohms, Air Flow, e-Liquid type, etc.

If the Hit you are getting is Too Hot or Too Harsh, using a Higher Ohm Coil, Opening the Air Flow and or using a Lower mg/ml Nicotine Level can Help.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi everyone. I just bought a Smoke V8 kit.This is an unregulated. I primed the coil and can't even take a hit longer than a half a second. It's so hard it hurts my chest and the tip gets hot. I changed to the .25 coil and that's not any better. I used to use the KangerTech nano and I always preferred a lower wattage. I'm using a 6 mg VG juice. Has anyone else experience this?

BTW - Welcome to the ECF.

Reactions: Marybratti

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016

Hi Mary & welcome
That is a regulated mod and not a mechanical one. What it doesn't have is the variable power/wattage option. It is regulated in that it has built in protection circuits for auto cut-off, low resistance, short circuit, and low voltage. These protections make it a perfectly safe mod when used in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

Your problem is that you have to live with the factory power settings and the only thing you can change is the coil for a different resistance. Do try their various coils and also try different juices with it. Ensure it is properly primed before firing the coil. As the battery discharges it will deliver less power to the coil so that may tell you if the problem is power related. If you can't get a vape you enjoy you may have to purchase a different mod, one with VW.

Last edited:

Marybratti

Apr 23, 2017
Thank you. I did use a 3 mg juice and that did help but still was to powerful. I am a smoker trying to quit so I like to take a longer drag. On the Smok v8 I could take only a half second pull. Then today it just stopped firing. I took it back and bought an Alien 220. I have it on only 36 watts and the .4 coil. I'm in heaven now. I can go up to 45 W but I prefer the lower watts gives me a cooler hit and I can pull more like a cigarette.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thank you. I did use a 3 mg juice and that did help but still was to powerful. I am a smoker trying to quit so I like to take a longer drag. On the Smok v8 I could take only a half second pull. Then today it just stopped firing. I took it back and bought an Alien 220. I have it on only 36 watts and the .4 coil. I'm in heaven now. I can go up to 45 W but I prefer the lower watts gives me a cooler hit and I can pull more like a cigarette.

Great result!

You do know that for many vapers the expression "only 36 watts" is quite funny. Nobody says we/you have to vape at any particular power. For you, you bought devices intended to vape at higher power, which is why the first purchase was not a good one in this instance.

If you are happy, you are happy!

I vape at half that power during the day (18w) and deliberately mouth to lung.

Out of hours, who knows what chaos might ensue :eek:. I have vaped some big numbers in the interests of entertainment. :)

Reactions: Marybratti

Marybratti

Apr 23, 2017
I know this device is meant for cloud chasers but it's also a very well made product. I'm going to try an Nautilus tank on this Alien mod . I heard it's good at low wattage and closer to the drag of a real cigarette. After a full day of vaping I did attempt 60 watts and got tons of vapor clouds but eventually went down to only 30 watts. At least my coils might last a long time lol

Reactions: David Wolf

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I know this device is meant for cloud chasers but it's also a very well made product. I'm going to try an Nautilus tank on this Alien mod . I heard it's good at low wattage and closer to the drag of a real cigarette. After a full day of vaping I did attempt 60 watts and got tons of vapor clouds but eventually went down to only 30 watts. At least my coils might last a long time lol

Yes. A MTL tank is a very wise idea. That's the closest (but not identical) to smoking inhaling.

There are two ways of looking at the argument to use higher nicotine. I'm not arguing for either.

6mg at 30w is not low nicotine. You could argue it's the same as 24mg at 7.5w.
Not all vapers need to constantly top up their nicotine if they cut down a level - they go with the flow - if they have the right strength, of course. If you can vape 6mg at 30w, you could conceivably vape 6mg at 15w in a MTL tank (at half power) and notice no issue. If you did get the urge to vape (or smoke, or attack wild creatures or your boss :eek: ) because of using 'only' 6mg you have the option to go wild for 10 minutes with your biggest cloud delivering device.
I used 12mg for a year in my MTL hardware believing I would struggle on 6mg. That turned out to be illogical. I use 5-6mg across the board apart from 'dripping' atomizers.

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
crank that beast up! jk, it is good you are finding out what you like and dont like already. Even on my aromamizer plus 30mm tank with dual fused claptons 8 wrap 4mm i dont go above 80watts. I like a cooler vape, but each coil has its sweet spot with different juices, so you adjust until you get the taste you like out of that flavor. Just cuz a coil says 80-120 watts doesnt mean you have to vape at that. Oh and 3mg on my aromamizer is pretty heavy as dj stated, its the setup you are using, not necessarily the strength of nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread