Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Hey all! I've been out of the loop for a while now, not keeping up with news or anything.

I just got a long distance friend into vaping and I've been sending him juice. I stopped by a local vape shop today to see if they had any bargain juice I could send him and got to chatting with the owner. He was telling me that it's now illegal to buy nicotine online, and some guy in Tennessee (? West Virginia, Virginia??? somewhere) was arrested for getting nicotine in the mail and could be facing up to 55 years in prison for possession of it?

I tried googling and searching on ecf, but I'm not finding anything about this. I looked at Wizard Labs and don't see anything on their page about it, and it all seems to be still for sale.

Is there some news of this sort? Is it legal to buy nicotine online? I've got a decent freezer stock, but I was thinking about ordering again just for more buffer. My husband freaked out about what this guy told us. I told him I'd check it out and see if I can find more info online.

Thanks!!!

Nightowl007

Sep 23, 2015
Laws vary from state to state. Age requirements also vary. For instance, in St. Louis County Missouri, it is illegal to sell tobacco products, including (IMO) non tobacco products such as ecig products, to anyone under the age of 21. You can be in possession of said products at the age of 18, just cannot purchase them in St. Louis County DUMB!!! o_O. There could have been something along those lines that occurred.

Also, you can legally purchase nicotine online depending on where you reside, but once you receive it, there are laws in place as far as you shipping it to someone else.

A suggestion: order it online and send it to their address from the seller. This can prove to be difficult too as I have ran into "this is not the address of the card holder".

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I'm not so much worried about sending to my friend. He needs to start buying his own anyway and not relying on me. I'm wondering if it is illegal for me to buy it online. I can't find any sort of news articles regarding what this guy was talking about.

He essentially told me it was illegal for me to have my freezer stash and I shouldn't tell anyone, and that it was illegal for me (45 years old) to buy nicotine online.

Nightowl007

Sep 23, 2015
I believe it is legal for you to order online, legal for you to have, but illegal for you personally mail it to the friend. That is you purchase the nicotine, have it shipped to your address, and once you receive it, then it illegal to mail to the friend. Ask at the post office. They will be able to explain it better.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Opinionated

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Nicotine isn't nicotine ---

EU redid their chemical regs. Before, you could buy nic base with 72 mg/ml .
Now it's 48 mg/ml. Higher than that would put it in the 'toxic substance' category.
Can't be sent by mail and can only be sold face-to-face. That's the chem regs.
Now with the tobacco products regs coming into effect, that will be reduced further to 20 mg/ml.

Guess it isn't any less complicated in the U.S.
Federal, state, AND municipal regs - a veritable bureaucratic maze that varies from location to location.
Home of the free and the brave .... yeah, sure ... maybe before the pencilpushers and carpetbaggers moved in...

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
As far as I know, no, it is not illegal to purchase nicotine online in the US at this time and it is not illegal to have it in your freezer. I can't imagine where that person got their information.

It sounds to me like that shop owner is trying to sell his e-liquid and if he can scare his customers into giving up DIY he might sell more. :facepalm:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey all! I've been out of the loop for a while now, not keeping up with news or anything.

I just got a long distance friend into vaping and I've been sending him juice. I stopped by a local vape shop today to see if they had any bargain juice I could send him and got to chatting with the owner. He was telling me that it's now illegal to buy nicotine online, and some guy in Tennessee (? West Virginia, Virginia??? somewhere) was arrested for getting nicotine in the mail and could be facing up to 55 years in prison for possession of it?

I tried googling and searching on ecf, but I'm not finding anything about this. I looked at Wizard Labs and don't see anything on their page about it, and it all seems to be still for sale.

Is there some news of this sort? Is it legal to buy nicotine online? I've got a decent freezer stock, but I was thinking about ordering again just for more buffer. My husband freaked out about what this guy told us. I told him I'd check it out and see if I can find more info online.

Thanks!!!

Hey Spaz. Good to see you again.

As far as I know, there Isn't anyplace where it is Out Right Illegal to buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine with the Exception of Utah. Where I believe Online Sales are Banned.

I also know of Nowhere where Possession for Personal Use has been Criminalized.

I think that B&M Owner was kinda trying to Freak you Out. And was trying to get you to buy His/Her FUD Brand e-liquids instead of Buying Online.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Oh, I've know this guy for a long time and even sold him some DIY juice before. I don't really think he'd do that. We used to discuss regs all the time when I'd go in there. I wish I could find this case he's talking about. Some guy somewhere being arrested. Was thinking maybe someone ordered concentrated and that's what it is? Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and ask for more details.

Reactions: zoiDman

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
I've not heard a whisper about that story. That's just crazy! The last I heard was nic (not illegal) has to be shipped by ground now. Some hazardous material classification or something. The last purchase I made (recently) was not sent ground, but it wasn't a whole bunch. 500ml.
That story sounds like more bad rumors and hysteria spread by...whoever spreads those stories.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Oh, I've know this guy for a long time and even sold him some DIY juice before. I don't really think he'd do that. We used to discuss regs all the time when I'd go in there. I wish I could find this case he's talking about. Some guy somewhere being arrested. Was thinking maybe someone ordered concentrated and that's what it is? Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and ask for more details.

Maybe it had to do with Not Paying some State/ Local Tax? Or maybe it had something to do with Not Having a Tobacco License?

It will be interesting if the B&M has some more Details about what he was saying.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Maybe it had to do with Not Paying some State/ Local Tax? Or maybe it had something to do with Not Having a Tobacco License?

It will be interesting if the B&M has some more Details about what he was saying.

That's what I'm thinking. If this is true, there has to be something else going on. If he was reselling it without a tobacco license? I mean I don't have to have a tobacco license just to buy it online right as long as I'm not selling it.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
That's what I'm thinking. If this is true, there has to be something else going on. If he was reselling it without a tobacco license? I mean I don't have to have a tobacco license just to buy it online right as long as I'm not selling it.

No license required to buy it. Perhaps it was a minor who bought it, but in any case there is no restriction on an adult buying nicotine at this time.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

There Usually is.

Or like a Fish Story, the Story got a little Bigger every time it was Told.

:)

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
And hi Zoid! And mattiem, glasseye, steve, nightowl! I remember all you guys. The other names aren't familiar, but thanks for replying!
We remember you too and I for one am happy that you came to us to hopefully get the correct information. Sounds kinda like a bit of gossip that got told and changed just a little bit every time it was retold and by the time it got to you it was totally different than it was when it first started. :D

If I needed more nic I wouldn't be afraid at all to order it online. Arkansas passed a bit of garbage that restricts purchasing ready made e-liquid online but I've had no problem buying DIY ingredient including 100mg/ml nicotine.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
He's just gotten bad information and is passing it on to you. It's fine to order nicotine just as before. Vendors may make you go through an age verification process now and some may only use UPS, but nothing else has changed.
This is correct. I buy 100mg/ml nic, try the mail, is no problem at all. Add far as sending it in the mail the only thing they want to know is if it's flammable, liquid, etc try want to put a extra sticker on the box at the post office, I and juice quite often, never had a problem. Leaky bottles on occasion but nothing legal.

The store owner just got bad info and passed it along.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread