Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I quit dryburning used coils quite a while ago
My wife would vape her builds until they were so badly gunked up it was almost useless to clean them, that was when I was building her 30 gauge single wire builds. It did get to the point that its easier to rebuild than to dryburn and hassle with cleaning the burnt cootie mess. 30 and 32 gauge wire after time begin to deteriorate, weaken and loose what little strength the wire had by distorting while trying to wick them, 26 and 28 gauge that I use more in my builds is stronger so dryburning took less of a toll. I make and vape claptons now so its a waste to toss a clapton coil considering the work and wire involved in them. I built my wife's claptons(28/32 kanthal) last October, been rewicking it but she still vaping the same coil and now refuses to vape any single wire build. That's why removing the coil out of the RBA and burning separately works well with the more robust clapton coils getting the YUK that has accumulated where the screws are.
I have never dryburned red hot like you see in many videos that does more damage than good, just till the coil glows and the gunk just begins to change color then scrape the gunk off repeating a couple/few times thus cooties fall down into the airflow adding a sickly burnt taste to the next rewick if not totally cleaned out.
Too bad Kanger gave themselves a bad name back when there was so many protank coil problems that have stuck with them till this day. I never had any problems but I rebuilt the PT heads and didn't used stock coils. Most of my RBA's are 2 years old and still in great condition, no stripped screws but a few phillips that are worn and not lost a screw yet....knock on wood. ;)

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
@dcdozer First thing i notice is your wattage. I assume you're using 28g Kanthal. For me 20W would get way too hot with such builds, even more with so little air, but that's also a matter of taste/preference. You could try a 7/6 wrap with 26g, 0.8 Ohm, at around 20W and slightly more air. You'd get a cooler, more dense vape and more taste.

I do however recognize the darkening of juice and flowing back into the tank. This occurs when i haven't wicked properly, usually too much wick, possibly also touching a post, the cap or the wire outside the coil (the legs) too much. Often very close to a dryhit.

When chainvaping you could consider using a bit more wick, 2mm above the cap, but really fluffy and combed, and certainly not jammed into the rba, and try to make it touch nothing, only cover the holes, to create some sort of reservoir.

Your builds may always look the same but most of the time the density of the wick varies. And this often influences the vape. I usually try to make it absorb as much juice as possible and avoid dryhits but balance between that and leakage.

Also make sure the screws aren't rusty, this occurs mostly with rba clones and older rba's. Wash and dry them thoroughly before every rebuild.

My wife always says my vape is hot...I don't notice it.

So I did another build, still snipped the cotton to the top of the chimney, triple checked that the wick wouldn't touch any metal, dropped the wattage down to 14, and no darkening juice after 2 days. Thanks for that.

But the flavor is weak. Which I think you're saying I need to snip the cotton a little higher to add more cotton to improve flavor? Does more cotton mean better flavor in general? (I know there is a line you don't want to cross.)

As for cleaning the RBA, I do that all the time, and see no rust or gunk. Thanks again all for the help/suggestions.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
My wife always says my vape is hot...I don't notice it.

So I did another build, still snipped the cotton to the top of the chimney, triple checked that the wick wouldn't touch any metal, dropped the wattage down to 14, and no darkening juice after 2 days. Thanks for that.

But the flavor is weak. Which I think you're saying I need to snip the cotton a little higher to add more cotton to improve flavor? Does more cotton mean better flavor in general? (I know there is a line you don't want to cross.)

As for cleaning the RBA, I do that all the time, and see no rust or gunk. Thanks again all for the help/suggestions.

No i don't think more cotton means more taste. I do think however that the darkening was caused by slight dryhits. Maybe try a build i mentioned, it will possibly give you more vape/taste.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
No i don't think more cotton means more taste. I do think however that the darkening was caused by slight dryhits. Maybe try a build i mentioned, it will possibly give you more vape/taste.
I think you found the problem with your first response. Since lowering the wattage and making sure I didn't let the cotton touch the posts or the cap there has been no darkening. And the weak flavor...was because the DIY juice I was using (TFA RY4 Double) hadn't steeped enough. I put in a different juice that was more mature and the flavor is back. Thanks so much for your help!

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Does anyone else have a problem with rebuilding the RDA? Yesterday I went to change the coil and now can't get a reading on the meter. I've made sure the leads are trapped well under the screws. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out this mystery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I've had trouble with the connection between the RBA and the base but never figured out why. Overtight/undertight/bad oring???

Hopefully someone will help us figure it out! Nice to know I'm not the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
I've had trouble with the connection between the RBA and the base but never figured out why. Overtight/undertight/bad oring???
rba center pin must touch base center pin
is center pin on rba snug
using multi-meter check continuity between neg post and neg pin on rba, do same for positve
check base center pin for continuity, check from inside of base for debris on pin contact point

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Finally! Vapemail Day! My first STM showed up. I was surprised and pleased to see it is white. For some reason I was expecting SS. Also got my grey Pico from the VapeWild win.
Vaping an NI200 coil in the STM right now until I build one of the RBAs with SS.

2017-04-27_13.07.47.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread