1efiFAY.jpg

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Not trying to answer for JC, just giving my 2 cents. I use my Dremel for DIY juice only. That way it stay clean. I do know even on low, it is a bit too fast IMO. I used to shake my juice for 4 or 5 minutes. Not all at once, but after a total of several shakes. I would have separation issues when I shake my recipes. After it sat for a while I could literally see the different layers, sometimes even 3 separate layers. After switching to the Dremel I have not had any recipe separate. However, there is a ton of air bubbles. Especially in smaller batches. In larger batches, say 300 MIL batches, the air bubbles are much easier to control and keep from getting into the blend. I will mix at least 30 seconds or until the whole batch appears even. You can see the different layers as it blends. It's actually pretty cool to watch and SO much less effort!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Sounds kind of fun. I've never seen that happen. I wouldn't because I always mix in dark brown bottles. I can barely see the bubbles by holding a bottle up in front of a light bulb. Maybe I'll try a mix in a clear bottle some time. Any particular ingredients you would recommend for cool visual effects?

By the way, I always thought lots of bubbles were a good thing. They show that you did a good job of shaking. Wait for them to all disappear and shake again.

Nightowl007

Sep 23, 2015
I have heard both ways. Less bubbles and more bubbles...I think I'm confused on the concept of entering air bubbles and why it's good or bad.

I mix larger batches in a clear 500 MIL beaker. Any flavor that is colored goes in last just so I can watch it blend...yes...I'm easily amused...sad, but true...SQUIRREL!!!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Now all I'm gonna need is your peach cobbler recipe.

I make one (with some small revisions for my own tastes) that Bill's Magic Vapor developed back in 2014 for his wife. He named it Jo's Peach Cobbler. He also has a regular Peach Cobbler recipe, too, but I used the Jo's.

He's a firm believer in using high total flavoring % in his recipes. It makes probably 99% of them shake and vape. Of course, you can/should adjust to your own liking though, as always.

Here's the Jo's Peach Cobbler as he has it in his Blog:

Jo's Peach Cobbler - All TFA flavorings

Juicy Peach - 12%
Sweetener - 4%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - 3%
Sweet Cream - 3%
Brown Sugar - 2%
Graham Cracker - 2%
Cinnamon - 1%

I made it the first time nearly a year ago, exactly as above, but without the Cinnamon, which I'm not real big on since it's very potent. I didn't like that the Juicy Peach had EA in it though, which needed to be evaporated off. So, I've made a few revisions while doing several 100DT on it since then...using the DX versions of several flavorings available now and the new DX Juicy Peach which has no EA nor acetoin in it! So, this is the revised one I've been making since then, below.

DX Juicy Peach - 7%
Peach - 7%
Sweetener - 3%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - 3%
DX Sweet Cream - 3%
Brown Sugar - 2%
DX Graham Cracker - 2%
DX Cinnamon Danish - .5% (For a hint of cinnamon)

He has a huge recipe list in the Dropbox, and many of his recipes are also found within his Blog. He also has a wealth of info. on making DIY eliquids in general in there, too. Many of us on here often refer to them when people have some particular problems with their DIY.

Here's a link to his Blog. Be sure to Expand each section so you can see all that's within it.

Bill's Magic Vapor's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Nightowl007

Sep 23, 2015

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Tried to click on both of those links, but both lead to a dead end. Tried searching too, but nothing.

Really?? When I hover over them and look in the lower left of my screen...both show me the URL of where they're located on the ECF. Maybe it has something to do with Tapatalk not liking the link.

Well, let's try this: Go up to the top of the page, just to the right of Vape Life-insurance...and you'll see the 3 little lines on top of each other. Click on those, and the dropdown will show Blogs. Click that and then do a search for Bill's Magic Vapor. That should pull up the first page of his Blog entries. Go down to the 8th entry and that's the one about chemical and floral notes in eliquids.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Thank you so much JC; you're a gem! <3

Tried to click on both of those links, but both lead to a dead end. Tried searching too, but nothing.

I'm seeing it okay. There's a "click to expand" link on the end, did you see that? If it just doesn't show up at all, you might be using some security app or software that affects your view?

Here's a google cache of it.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Nightowl007 - Well, I do notice one thing about the above flavorings. If you have the original TFA Maraschino Cherry, rather than the newer TFA Maraschino Cherry PG...the older version has ethyl alcohol in it. That may affect the taste, even in small amounts.

I've been trying to find the ingredients of the CAP flavorings you posted, but they're not on several vendors' websites, so I went to the CAP website. They state that some of their flavorings do contain ethyl alcohol, like their Orange Creamsicle for example. However, when checking your CAP Double Chocolate V2 and CAP Bavarian Cream, they show these as the ingredients:

Double Chocolate V2: (info. in ingredients list)
Naturally and Artificially Flavored
Non Flavor Ingredients:
Propylene Glycol (used as a carrier to dissolve flavor ingredients), Water, Caramel Color

Bavarian Cream: (info. found only on the 4oz. bottle pictured)
Naturally and Artificially Flavored
Non Flavor Ingredients:
Propylene Glycol (used as a carrier to dissolve flavor ingredients), Water

So apparently neither of those contains any EA. I can't provide you with a reason (other than the 1mL of TFA Maraschino Cherry that has EA in it), for your recipe issue. Have you read Bill's Blog entry about Chemical Notes?

I did find something amusing on the CAP website though. They have this statement in their FAQ section:

"Where can I buy flavor drops?

Currently our products are sold only through our website.

We utilize FedEx for shipping."

Oh really? What about all the vendors selling them for those of us who DIY? Or for candy making and baking? Someone's not telling the truth.

I also thought it was alittle strange that they don't carry all of their flavorings in the 13mL size. The smallest Bavarian Cream they sell is the 4oz. size. Hmmm...makes me wonder how vendors get it in the 13mL size then.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I bound it in the 13ml size on their site. Towards the bottom of the listing.

Yep! It's there, but who'd a thunk it wouldn't be listed up between the Banana Split and the Blackberry...in ABC order with the others??? I sure didn't...obviously! :)

Nightowl007

Sep 23, 2015
I think I'm going to try and add some of the flavors that Bill's blog says.

Also, now this is the weirdest part and something I forgot about. If I'm confusing, I apologize as I'm falling asleep typing this, but... I made most of the TFA flavors in their own batch @ 10% flavor when they came in. Here is what I did: 9 MIL's VG with 1 MIL of flavor in a 15 MIL plastic bottle. Closed the lid and let them sit for two days. A few of us got together and tested the flavors in our RDA's. Most were pretty good stand alone. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have not tried the maraschino cherry like that as it came in a separate shipment. I wonder if I should go back to a higher VG%? The only real reason I have gone back down to a 60/40, 65/35, 70/30, or a 75/25 VG/PG is because I had to use so much flavor to even be able to taste it. At the higher VG all of my batches were kind of bland.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I think I'm going to try and add some of the flavors that Bill's blog says.

Also, now this is the weirdest part and something I forgot about. If I'm confusing, I apologize as I'm falling asleep typing this, but... I made most of the TFA flavors in their own batch @ 10% flavor when they came in. Here is what I did: 9 MIL's VG with 1 MIL of flavor in a 15 MIL plastic bottle. Closed the lid and let them sit for two days. A few of us got together and tested the flavors in our RDA's. Most were pretty good stand alone. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have not tried the maraschino cherry like that as it came in a separate shipment. I wonder if I should go back to a higher VG%? The only real reason I have gone back down to a 60/40, 65/35, 70/30, or a 75/25 VG/PG is because I had to use so much flavor to even be able to taste it. At the higher VG all of my batches were kind of bland.

Again, I caution you to steep the cap's flavors. I have used them for a long while and they will eventually give good flavors. I learned this lesson the hard way myself as I was convinced they would never turn into anything. I was totally surprised to find how wrong I was. It becomes easier to steep when you already have ejuice to vape. If you do take the time they need, you won't be disappointed in most of them.

:)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I made most of the TFA flavors in their own batch @ 10% flavor when they came in. Here is what I did: 9 MIL's VG with 1 MIL of flavor in a 15 MIL plastic bottle. Closed the lid and let them sit for two days. A few of us got together and tested the flavors in our RDA's. Most were pretty good stand alone. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have not tried the maraschino cherry like that as it came in a separate shipment.

I would strongly suggest you DON'T try that with the Maraschino Cherry...unless you want your socks knocked off! That stuff is Potent with a capital P! :D

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I opened a bottle of Capella Sugar Cookies flavoring the other day and routinely applied a tiny drop to my finger and then tasted it. Yow! It burned my tongue. Ethyl Alcohol came to mind, so I mixed it and let it sit in a bottle for a couple of days with the cap off. The result was good, but a little too sweet at the suggested 3% mix level.

Nightowl007

Sep 23, 2015
I'm chasing my tail on this. I mixed the VG/PG/NIC and the chemical taste was not there. I mixed a 20 MIL batch of three different saved recipes, without NIC, and the chemical taste was not there. So I made all three at full scale with NIC @ 5 MIL. The first one has the chemical taste, it is not anywhere near as strong though. I made these recipes @ 70/30 VG/PG with between 26% and 30% flavor. I haven't tried the other two yet...I will hopefully get a chance to later and post that finding...I just wonder if there is some kind of reaction going on between the NIC and the TFA flavors? Surely not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread