Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
According to GrimmGreens new video, the FDA is handing off regulation of vaping batteries to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. A quick google only turned up one page on their site that I think relates to this. Apparently according to GG they are real sticklers, so this may have a severe affect the already embattled US vaping community.

Doug Lee and Andrew Trotta Participating in an FDA Workshop on Battery Safety Concerns in Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems

Relevant section comes in at 3:30

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Handing battery safety off to the CPSC would be a good thing. Yes, they're sticklers about many things and the misrepresentation of battery capabilities that come out of China would be one of the first things to be targeted. That's a VERY good thing.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Handing battery safety off to the CPSC would be a good thing. Yes, they're sticklers about many things and the misrepresentation of battery capabilities that come out of China would be one of the first things to be targeted. That's a VERY good thing.

I agree it would be a very good thing, but it needs to be all Li-ion batteries, regardless of end use. Batteries should simply meet certain safety and accuracy specs.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I agree it would be a very good thing, but it needs to be all Li-ion batteries, regardless of end use. Batteries should simply meet certain safety and accuracy specs.

Knowing government agencies, they'll probably do just that. :lol:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

Agreed. And prolly near about 100% of what ought to be done. Let's extract vaping from tobacco legislation. Make that the focus. That would define legit to me.

Good luck. :)

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The only thing any government involvement will do is make choices fewer and prices higher.

If a company is make sub standard product the best way to deal with it is to not buy the priduct... enough do that the company either goes away or starts making safe products.

The only people that Benefit from most government regulations are the government and the BIG corporations..... we will still get screwed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The only thing any government involvement will do is make choices fewer and prices higher.

If a company is make sub standard product the best way to deal with it is to not buy the priduct... enough do that the company either goes away or starts making safe products.

The only people that Benefit from most government regulations are the government and the BIG corporations..... we will still get screwed.

You describe in part the very reasons for this country.

Reactions: DC2

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Folks like @Mooch and @Dampmaskin have done more for vaping battery safety (safe use) and dissemination of what info's needed by us for this purpose than a thousand pencil pushers at the FDA. Had gov spawned as many pages of regulations on what a proper battery should be, we'd still be trusting them first and last. Label, or no.

Changes are good, whoever might do the regulatory spinning, that they'd continue to conflate things real good to our disadvantage (like now, batt's and other hardware).

We can encourage and support our own knowledgable efforts or we can let the bureaucrats forever wave those sticky fingers at us. Someone's always going to find something wrong with what we're doing. And you can be just as certain they'll have a rule ready for it.

The choice is yours. Until they take it from you.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
While Mooch's information is good, it only reaches a fraction of the percentage of total vapers. When you have vape shops selling substandard batteries that are labeled 40, 50 and even 60 amp batteries, something is definitely wrong in the industry and there needs to be intervention with severe penalties for those selling those substandard batteries.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
While Mooch's information is good, it only reaches a fraction of the percentage of total vapers. When you have vape shops selling substandard batteries that are labeled 40, 50 and even 60 amp batteries, something is definitely wrong in the industry and there needs to be intervention with severe penalties for those selling those substandard batteries.
Fact is just about as any idiots vent their Sony LG and Samsung Batts as the crappy ones.....
Shady Manufacturer also get blamed g or the idiots.

Yes I want safe....BUT I tired of the government protecting me from myself.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Yes I want safe....BUT I tired of the government protecting me from myself.

So how do you propose to be safe? Out of the millions of vapers in the US, a tiny fraction are educated on battery safety. The vast majority go into a shop (or order online), get what's recommended to them, and haven't a clue as to what happens when a battery is stressed. The store they bought the device from doesn't educate them, and it's most likely the individual behind the counter was never told anything as well.

This has nothing to do with personal freedoms. Misleading or outright false information from certain manufacturers is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. When you have vape shops perpetuating that false info, it's time for those involved to be invited to a "Come to Jesus" meeting. Boycotting isn't going to work as you'd most likely never be a customer of that store to begin with. They're already making $$$ from those who don't know better.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
So how do you propose to be safe? Out of the millions of vapers in the US, a tiny fraction are educated on battery safety. The vast majority go into a shop (or order online), get what's recommended to them, and haven't a clue as to what happens when a battery is stressed. The store they bought the device from doesn't educate them, and it's most likely the individual behind the counter was never told anything as well.

This has nothing to do with personal freedoms. Misleading or outright false information from certain manufacturers is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. When you have vape shops perpetuating that false info, it's time for those involved to be invited to a "Come to Jesus" meeting. Boycotting isn't going to work as you'd most likely never be a customer of that store to begin with. They're already making $$$ from those who don't know better.
Survival of the fittest.. works for me...

The info needed to be safe is easy to find and follow. If someone is too stupid or lazy to educate THEMSELVES. That's their problem.... maybe they will learn something and not repeat the same mistake.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Again, when a new vaper goes into a shop and is educated poorly or not at all, where do you draw the line? Individuals expect the personnel at the vape shop to be knowledgeable.

Claiming "survival of the fittest" is specious. Continued incidents of battery issues will serve nothing more than to provide ammunition for a complete clampdown on vaping. Far better to address the issues with battery use and the false advertising surrounding those batteries than to wait until it's too late. Otherwise, you're going to see your battery sources dry up as the reputable companies take steps to ensure their products do not wind up in the hands of vapers.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Again, when a new vaper goes into a shop and is educated poorly or not at all, where do you draw the line? Individuals expect the personnel at the vape shop to be knowledgeable.

Claiming "survival of the fittest" is specious. Continued incidents of battery issues will serve nothing more than to provide ammunition for a complete clampdown on vaping. Far better to address the issues with battery use and the false advertising surrounding those batteries than to wait until it's too late. Otherwise, you're going to see your battery sources dry up as the reputable companies take steps to ensure their products do not wind up in the hands of vapers.
Humans have been on this planet for Hundreds of thousands of years..... seems we did just fine without consumer protect agencies.....

Its called Personal Responsibility.......

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
And prior to those agencies coming into being, there were countless deaths due to shoddy products, poor manufacturing habits, non-existent testing and dangerous handling of food. So no, we did not do just fine as you were playing Russian Roulette every time you ate a product, took a drug, or used an item.

Common sense regulation will always be needed in order to reign in the unscrupulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread