Status
Not open for further replies.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
And.... I've found the Squonk section of the forum. Hello fellow Squonkers. I'll be following this section with interest.
This is just the beginning haha.If you go to the Apv and mods discussion section,there is also a whole sqounk section there as well.

Reactions: Jay Hannen

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Sounds like my kind of place to hang out. I'm on my way thank for the tip x
Modders and accessories suppliers forum is where the fun happens. Hand made squonkers, and a great group of people

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Since the mod was so cheap and already had an odd shape I did some things strictly on a whim: oversize circular squonk hole, little "moon" hole next to it (no purpose), three holes on the opposite side so I could have light shine through (useful for seeing juice level when using a smoke colored bottle) and of course messing with the overall shape and finish. I wanted a rough grainy finish. Will probably go back and make it a bit rougher than this.

View attachment 647555 View attachment 647557

View attachment 647559 View attachment 647561 View attachment 647563 View attachment 647565 View attachment 647567

That looks really great. Well done. Care to share how you refinished it ?

Sounds like my kind of place to hang out. I'm on my way thank for the tip x

I just can't seem to find this using Tapatalk (which is how I mostly post) got a link to the thread by chance? Sorry to ask but I've tried to no avail.

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

I just can't seem to find this using Tapatalk (which is how I mostly post) got a link to the thread by chance? Sorry to ask but I've tried to no avail.
Modder/Accessories Supplier Forum
Catfish, corey, tbev, et.al. are there

Reactions: h00ligan

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles

Belt and drum sanding with 80 grit for the grain. Then hand finishing with Scotchbrite green and red pads. Ends up looking rough but feeling very smooth to the touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: h00ligan

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
More or less finished with the Elite mod conversion. I really liked the button feel and action, but didn't like the Teflon-like feel of the stock POM body or the stupid brass nameplate. Replaced it with a nice hunk of Padauk which, of the hardwood I had on hand, looked best with the copper.

IMAG2582_picmonkeyed_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMAG2622_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMAG2617_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMAG2621_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMAG2625_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

The.Drifter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2013
Virginia
More or less finished with the Elite mod conversion. I really liked the button feel and action, but didn't like the Teflon-like feel of the stock POM body or the stupid brass nameplate. Replaced it with a nice hunk of Padauk which, of the hardwood I had on hand, looked best with the copper.

View attachment 653901
View attachment 653907
View attachment 653909
View attachment 653911
View attachment 653913

Very nice ! That came out great and looks real sharp to boot :thumbs:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Very nice ! That came out great and looks real sharp to boot :thumbs:
That looks great @TheWestPole. Did you make a new shell & switch out the internals?

Thanks. Yes, the body and a few bits of internal hardware are from scratch, plus a Varitube 510 modified for needle connection with the bottle. Here's an in-progress disassembly.

IMAG2609_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Been working on this very woody squonker, no metal visible on the outside except the 510. The two-piece body is bocote, button is ebony. Done with the internal hardware and connections, assembled and working fine.

Next step: cut and shape the squonk window, shape the outside into an oval, begin finishing the wood.

IMAG2646_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
How did you do the internals?

I'll take full disassembly pics when it's finished. It's a mixture of borrowed and custom stuff: bottle system from Pico Squeeze, switch from a SMPL tube mech, etc. The two body pieces are keyed with the tube sections and secured with two reverse set screws. I'm waiting for a 12 mm Varitube 510 to come in. The 22 mm is temporary.

IMAG2651_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMAG2654_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMAG2656_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I'll take full disassembly pics when it's finished. It's a mixture of borrowed and custom stuff: bottle system from Pico Squeeze, switch from a SMPL tube mech, etc. The two body pieces are keyed with the tube sections and secured with two reverse set screws. I'm waiting for a 12 mm Varitube 510 to come in. The 22 mm is temporary.

View attachment 656569
View attachment 656571
View attachment 656573
No wonder I haven't seen you around town; you've been busy! Beautiful work, Tim:)

Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Change of plan.

After I cut the squonk window to line up with the Pico Squeeze bottle system, I just didn't like how weak the wood section below the window looked. If the mod dropped and hit right there, seemed to me the wood would crack or worse. So I decided to bag the Squeeze hardware and support that lower section by lining the squonk bore with a brass tube epoxied in place. The wood might dent if dropped, but it shouldn't crack.

Unfortunately, now I'm stuck with the position and shape of the squonk window, and missed my chance to do something more interesting. My no-visible-metal thing is out the window too. Derp. :rolleyes:

IMAG2661_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Last edited:

Mandro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Tamworth UK
Change of plan.

After I cut the squonk window to line up with the Pico Squeeze bottle system, I just didn't like how weak the wood section below the window looked. If the mod dropped and hit right there, seemed to me the wood would crack or worse. So I decided to bag the Squeeze hardware and support that lower section by lining the squonk bore with a brass tube epoxied in place. The wood might dent if dropped, but it shouldn't crack.

Unfortunately, now I'm stuck with the position and shape of the squonk window, and missed my chance to do something more interesting. My no-visible-metal thing is out the window too. Derp. :rolleyes:

View attachment 656793

I think it looks great with brass tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread