Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Leo is doing very well, Lizzie. His sessions with the trainer are worth every penny we're spending on it. When we come home from a session he's exhausted and snoozes the entire afternoon. The training happens in the basement of the trainer's home and she had to go upstairs to get something during this last lesson. He sat at the bottom of the stairs, staring, and waiting for her to come back down.

He still has a long way to go, but the progress has been amazing. Walking him, even with distractions, is actually a pleasure now. I verbally held him in a "down" for almost ten minutes today. He's also scheduled to be neutered next week which should also help. We wanted to wait until he was a year old before doing that, but the trainer, in fact all the trainers, have urged us to do it sooner. Behaviors get "implanted" while he's a juvenile that would be hard to impossible to train out of him if we wait too long. I feel bad about it but he is a little too interested in any female.

Here he is at the beginning of the month -

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
The weather is gorgeous. We did not get to do the wave :( at the baseball game. We did get to see some incredibly scantily clad, over sized ladies in leopard print shorts and sports bras while downtown. They seemed friendly and one had a guy following her and chatting her up when we got out of the game and we were walking back to our vehicle.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Voltaticalytes.

Hope you had an overall good time, Lizzie. I always am amazed by the oversized, of either sex, when they wear extreme or revealing clothes, but to each their own. As long as they stay "street legal" it's fine with me.

We've had some nice weather, too. I got the garden rototilled, a couple of sections of yard tilled, yesterday, weeded the blueberry pen and setup the drip system. This evening I'll pick up some tomato plants and get them in along with pole beans and cucumbers. That'll mean setting up drip lines for those as well. As I work through the rest of the yard shredding leaves that will provide the mulch cover for the garden. I've got to harvest the crop in the front yard, too. It's getting a little too tall out there with the amount of rain we've had, plus the fertilizer I put on. I've got to get the grub control on as well.

Leo is now a "soprano". The dirty deed was done yesterday. We picked him up at about 5:30 and he was very glad to see us. He was very unsteady on his feet from the anesthetic, almost fell off the porch when we came home, and really didn't return to normal until this morning. I set the ramp up for him so he doesn't have to climb stairs (can we all say "overprotective" together?). Even now he's very subdued, but I think that's a result of pain killers. To weeks of limited activity is going to put a serious crimp in my yard work.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
I just read in one of my groups that a lady is looking to get her pit bull a vasectomy. Does that seem crazy? She thinks that the dog is healthier that way. I'm thinking that veterinarians say that dogs who are neutered have less cancer and health issues. So how can having a dog with a vasectomy be healthier? Another gal said don't get your dog spayed, leave the ovaries in. Again, supposedly healthier. WTF?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

Lizzie, there's a ton of opinions regarding when to neuter either sex of dog. There's the hormone things to consider, not only sex hormones are involved here. A vasectomy for a male dog seems a little over the top, as in the owner wants the dog to appear intact and "macho" rather than any real breeding issues assuming the dog isn't allowed to run loose outside and breed at will. If the dog is a puppy, say under a year old, it would allow normal hormone levels which could improve long term health. On the other hand with hormone levels, especially testosterone, he can become harder to handle as he grows.

There does seem to be some evidence, mostly anecdotal, that with large/giant breed dogs joint and bone development are better if they are not neutered when very young which seems to be the practice today. Our vet wanted him in at under six months which seemed a little early in any event. We did want to put it off for Leo until he was over a year old, most bone/joint development is complete by then, but he was getting too intrusive as it were. Like I said, the trainers were worried about bad habits that might become too imbedded and hard to overcome. Giving him a vasectomy, I don't think so :w00t:

We are still being careful with him and not letting him jump, again anecdotal evidence that too much jumping when young can cause joint problems later in life with large/giant breeds. We're making him use a ramp to get in and out of the Jeep and he'll be using the ramp to go up and down the porch stairs for at least a week after his surgery as well. We may extend that to two weeks depending on how he's recovering. Originally, they were going to use a laser to close the incision but use surgical glue instead so we want to be sure it's well healed before stressing him too much. Our Leo spoiled and babied? NAHHHHH.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
HEY!!! @Uncle you thought you could sneak on by..... :sneaky:

YES - I did . . . :pervy:

However . . .

d2116fe89a0a2dc2d5713c2d1d991440.gif

to all for all those Birthday Wishes . . .
blushing.gif

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
The weather turned really warm for one day at 87 degrees! but it has cooled back down to summertime temps and we are having a great springtime. A lot of mosquitoes this year due to the wet winter. My yard looks amazing and the trees and shrubs are growing like weeds!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

We had some warm weather, well into the 80's and touching almost 90, for a few days. Now we're back to the 60's and had almost two inches of rain yesterday. I did manage to harvest the crop of weeds in the front yard ahead of the rain, but soon I'll need a machete and guide for the back yard. It may shower again today, tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday. Add having to keep an eye on Leo to prevent him from irritation the incision and my yard work is kind of on hold. If it doesn't rain later, maybe I can get out there after Mrs. Awsum gets home.

The lawn does look fairly decent. I did manage to get fertilizer out but still need to lime and put some grub killer down as well. By the time I get that done, it'll be time to fertilize again. That does keep the weeds growing like weeds on steroids. I got the garden tilled and the drip system set up. I'll plant some tomatoes tomorrow along with pole beans and cucumbers. I'm thinking about snap peas, too.

Reactions: Tritium

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Maintenance just plowed up a garden plot for me. I am going to let it lie fallow until the 23rd. Awful wet. and need to keep it weeded and work it between-times. . I already have butternut and nasturtium seeds for it. Already have a pot of nasties by my door, sprouting. Going to get some green pepper and a jalapeno, for my favorite jam. Maybe a few others, but the squash will be my primary crop. May put up a v-shaped trellis to keep it off the ground.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I was thinking about squash, too. We've had disappointing results with peppers that I attribute to crappy soil. This year I shredded a pile of leaves and grass clippings into the garden along with the contents of a compost bin. It takes a long time to build up soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread