What are the ideal batteries for a Smok GX350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Just a couple of quick add-on questions. Great community here! So I've noticed that being a long time pack a day smoker (30 odd years), and using direct to lung and not mouth to lung hits off both vapes can give me (sometimes) coughing fits. I'm vaping mostly 12% nicotine juice. I've heard some longtime smokers get this when switching to vape. Is this something that will go away over time? Is there a specific airflow on the tank that might help in the transition? Does the 12% nicotine ADD harshness over say a 6% nicotine blend?

Pack a day for 30years, on a MTL I'd suggest a 12mg to 18mg, starting at the 12mg first if the nic cravings are down right attrocious I'd suggest bump up to an 18mg afterward. Now moving to a sub-ohm device which can vaporize 2X on up to 8X the juice thus 2x to 8x the nic exposure per hit, I'd suggest a 6mg if you were in the 12 to 18mg MTL ballpark, if at a 9mg or lower on a MTL then a 3mg for sub-ohm and especially for a super-powered sub-ohm, which around 80watts you'd probably need a 3mg to 6mg range. A lot of variables to take into consideration, but those are the ballpark starter levels I look at when giving advice on nic strength needed.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Just a couple of quick add-on questions. Great community here! So I've noticed that being a long time pack a day smoker (30 odd years), and using direct to lung and not mouth to lung hits off both vapes can give me (sometimes) coughing fits. I'm vaping mostly 12% nicotine juice. I've heard some longtime smokers get this when switching to vape. Is this something that will go away over time? Is there a specific airflow on the tank that might help in the transition? Does the 12% nicotine ADD harshness over say a 6% nicotine blend?
Coughing and phlegm often accompany the switch to vaping. The coughing usually subsides over time (if it doesn't something is wrong and get back to us or see your doctor); the phlegm may be a too-high percentage of VG in your juice. In the beginning I noticed it a lot. I thought it was my lungs trying to clear themselves a bit. That opinion is totally unscientific, but comforting :)

Yes, nicotine is harsh: the more, the harsher (if that's a word). Off the bat, I'd say 12% is way too high for 100 watt direct lung hits. You may wish to cut that about in half. Notice headache, nausea or shakes? That too much nic...

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Please point me to a definitive test or review that proves Efest is using rejects. "Generally" doesn't mean specifically.

The OP asked about batteries for a GX350 which is a Regulated mod with many protections built in. In addition the amps are divided over 4 batteries. Less draw and stress on each battery.

He also mentioned that he will be vaping at 100 Watts that doesn't come close to pushing the limits of 4 High Drain Batteries.

If I were dealing with a unregulated mechanical in Sub Ohm territory, or he said that he was going to vape regularly at 350 Watts, yes I might be more choosy about the battery but in this particular mod (4 Batteries) at 100 Watts I will stand by my statement that the batteries are fine.
Check the links that Brother Bob provided, they cover this information.

And these "Fire/Efest/Aspire, etc." batteries are all rewraps. None produce their own batteries and many have been stripped and showned to be from any of the actual manufacturers and identified as particular models, BUT under testing, they never balance out to the rating to the "identical" name brand versions.

Again, Mooch provides all this.

So you could have 4 Efest/Aspire, FireXXX battery and none would have the same capacity of the next, so to put unbalanced batteries that cannot be married in any multi-battery mod (or any other device) is going to result in issues.

You might believe in your OPINION, but these are facts...

Note that others have also provided confirmation about what I stated in this thread. And as per that google search link, you'll easily find as many links needed to confirm this and someone with common sense wouldn't stand "by their opinion" and would realize that it's time to learn something new/change their opinion.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

1) if you just switched, you're body to healing, your coughing is the cleaning process and regrowing on lung and throat surface (you have little hairs that have been coated with tar and as they are cleansing themselves and regrowing, they cause a sensitivity) that you'd have regardless, just due to the fact that you aren't providing a new layer of tar to keep them coated. This can last a few weeks or more. It all depends on the damage.

2) If you are using sub-ohms (and even a bit more if you do direct lung), this "kicks" more nicotine than the mtl types. Most people that started whit the restricted flow tanks and did mtl, have to usually cut the nic level in half with sub-ohm, as it simply is better at delivering the nicotine.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Also, forget about whether or not Efest is good or bad "generally."

THESE batteries, that the OP purchased, are TEN AMP CONTINUOUS for a 300W MOD. This is based on Mooch's tests and subsequent updates.

That's definitely not good and anyone who is vaping high power/low resistance needs to know why. Yes, it's different in a regulated mod. Yes, it still matters.

There should be no argument from members who have been here for more than five years that 10A Efests are suitable for a mod that puts out that kind of power.

The "old guard" should all know the drill. LG HG2, HB2, Samsung 25Rs or 30Qs, Sony VTC 4s, 5s, and 5As (and a few others). It's not that complicated. Don't economize on batteries, which will save you only pennies anyway. ESPECIALLY if you are in the US-- not everyone is, but if you are-- IMR and LiionWholesale have perfectly reasonable prices for perfectly great batteries.

OP, my bluntness is not directed at you. You are doing the right thing asking questions. I really can't stress enough, though, that those batteries are not appropriate for your application and should be updated immediately.

lysianassa

Apr 29, 2017
I know you're only looking out. They've been doing fine at 100 watts, but I'm only puffing seldomly on that 350w mod and still using my ego cloud mostly until I can replace batts. I only got the efests because that was all the company had in stock. I'm ordering some HB6s next week. I wont be vaping over 150 watts, better safe than sorry. Thanks!

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
As far as the tests, mind you, remember @Mooch does battery testing as part of his job outside of vaping and been doing it for years, bringing his expertise to benefit us as vapers.

Mooch's battery tests
Index | E-Cigarette Forum

You are also wrong on your belief in the GX350 the CDR load is balanced across all batteries, there are 2 battery configurations, the one you are thinking of is parallel where the load is balanced, the GX350 and 95% of other high powered devices are in "Series Configuration" where the voltage is X number of batteries, but the CDR and Mah stay the same as a single battery.

Hate to make the call out, but with a registration date of 2009 might want to catch up to date of current events with batteries, just saying.

I'm completely familiar with Parallel verse Series. Whether in series and outputting Higher Watts or Parallel which Divides over the batteries. These batteries are fine for her application.

I've been through more rigs over the years than you would imagine. I keep up on the news. I've been vaping in subohm for years on mechanicals. In recent years I've moved to regulated mods.

As a matter of fact I have a GX350 which I just replaced because the paint is lousy quality and wore off. Just bought a Releaux DNA350 and programmed it using the escribe software.

I have never heard of the Efest Batteries being problematic and I keep my eye on the forums. The one complaint that I've heard is that Efest has overrated the batteries at times By listing the burst mode aka Pulse Mode as being the continuous mode.

But even though I think that vaping at 100 Watts on a 4 Bat mod is a no-brainer assuming the batteries are High Drain 20Amp Continuous. I did further investigation and went to to mooch's chart where he has individually tested the batteries himself. Click Here to see for yourself. He lists the Efest Purple 3000mah which is 20amp Continuous and 38Amp Burst. In my humble opinion that is plenty for 100 Watt Vaping. Whether in Parallel or Series.

No I don't buy Efest batteries and I'd recommend the actual OEM Brands, I've had great experience with the 3000mah LG Chocolate HG2 and the PQ30 bought at Orbtronics.com

The question wasn't if I recommend Efest Batteries, the question is whether on a 4 battery REGULATED mod at 100 Watts would The Efest Purple 3000mah be safe. I will again stand by my original statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: lysianassa

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
With efest & other 're wrap' cells there is just no telling what cell is used underneath the wrap at any given time. ---> WARNING: Efest Purple 35A 3000mAh is now a 10A battery!

Most folks would recommend at least 20a CDR cells for the OP's device.
Me, I'd use vtc5A.
Using 10a CDR cells in a device capable of 350w is an accident looking for a place to happen.

Most 're wrap' cells are more expensive than authentic 1st bin cells that actual manufactures put their wrap on.
There is simply no reason to take risks with questionable quality & flat out deceptive marketing hype rated cells.
Or a reason to do business with companies that use these tactics to sell a product that your safety depends on.
Of course, IMO.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
With efest & other 're wrap' cells there is just no telling what cell is used underneath the wrap at any given time. ---> WARNING: Efest Purple 35A 3000mAh is now a 10A battery!

Most folks would recommend at least 20a CDR cells for the OP's device.
Me, I'd use vtc5A.
Using 10a CDR cells in a device capable of 350w is an accident looking for a place to happen.

Most 're wrap' cells are more expensive than authentic 1st bin cells that actual manufactures put their wrap on.
There is simply no reason to take risks with questionable quality & flat out deceptive marketing hype rated cells.
Or a reason to do business with companies that use these tactics to sell a product that your safety depends on.
Of course, IMO.
The link that you are using is from 2015!

The chart that I linked to is from April of this Year to May of this year https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/attachments/img_5226-jpg.652563/

I think I'll go off this month's rating instead of one from 2 years ago.

I still stand by my statement, in addition the Mod is a REGULATED Mod.

Regulated means protected. Please use the same energy that you used to find a post from 2015 to find an article about GX350 blowing up due to improper battery use.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
The link that you are using is from 2015!

The chart that I linked to is from April of this Year to May of this year https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/attachments/img_5226-jpg.652563/

I think I'll go off this month's rating instead of one from 2 years ago.

I still stand by my statement, in addition the Mod is a REGULATED Mod.

Regulated means protected. Please use the same energy that you used to find a post from 2015 to find an article about GX350 blowing up due to improper battery use.

You are really reaching that point of just not even worth reading any of your posts.

You can't seem to get the point that SEVERAL people, including "Mooch results" have pointed to.

Efest batteries are unreliable, to consider them paired/married them in ANY mod, regulated or not, IS a risk.

There is no guaranty from one battery to the next what it might be a rewrap from and you could have a 20A (that would be fine) and another that's a 15A, or worse, and mixing different capacity batteries is simply NOT good.

Is it certain that something bad could happen, no, but it IS a possibility.

Why will there not be magical links about this particular mod with the exact same configuration of batteries? Well, if I need to explain that part, I might as well get puppets out.

You can be all huffy about "standing by your comment" all you want, it will NOT make you correct... EVER.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The example was given to demonstrate a long term issue of overstating battery specs and that the cell used underneath the wrap can & does change frequently, not just efest all 're wrap' cells.

Regulated power device's do not have protection from the user installing insufficient cells. They will draw or attempt to draw up to their input amp limit from whatever cells the user installs.

BTW, battery configuration (parallel / series) makes no difference when calculating battery amp draw when using a regulated device.
---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...attery-current-draw-for-a-regulated-mod.7532/
This thread is in the New Members section where safe & sane advice should be given.
Suggesting suspicious quality cells from a company that has a long standing history of over stating battery specs sometimes dangerously so for a device capable of 350w is neither.

Seems you're real intent is to argue instead of giving good advice, standing by false statements doesn't mean much.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Paranoia aside, this is the "New Members" section, and a lot of times the first place a new vaper the first section a new member goes to get help or advice. Speculation, theory, highly advanced subject matter in all honesty just does not belong here, highly advanced battery talk, there is a battery section lower down in the forums just for that. 90% of beginners are looking for advice to get started, and get started "Safely", if they want to dive into "Alice's Rabbit Hole" and look deep into the looking glass, then they can dig and research freely as they may. 9 out of 10 mods, mech or regulated I've seen where an injury was involved was from a user error and lack of knowledge and safety, "But", out of those incidents of 9/10 mod/battery incidents I've seen purple Efest battery wraps in the aftermath pictures, that or purple IMRens, maybe one or two with burnt red, brown, green, yellow, lavender, cream colored wraps in the aftermath photos, so for a newbie safety sake are purple Efest, IMRen, or any other re-wrap a safe bet for a newbie? A flat out, dang, heck "NO!!!!!!!!!!!"

Case in point, 12 to 18months ago a very experienced reviewer, Daniel (DJlsb, DJslb) had in a SMY mod had some Purple Efest that vented on him, one even went full thermal runaway, at 14amps which had a lot of talk blow up about it, and that is not the first nor the last since I've seen an Efest battery just give out on someone for no particular reason other than the internal chemistry is "NOT" suitable for a vaping application, their track record they are swinging a 50 batting average in my book.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
In theory theory and practice are the same. In practice they are not. Even in a regulated mod one ought to exercise some caution, IMHO. I just don't understand why someone would buy re-wraps when known batteries cost 20% more or so, and battery costs are a really negligible part of the cost of vaping. Maybe if they were twice as expensive I'd understand, but... buy good batteries, and still worry at least a bit about them, IMHO ;).

lysianassa

Apr 29, 2017
Guys! Relax! I got the info I needed, and again, am going to order some LG HB6 18650's. And even on those I don't plan to vape at 350, or even 250...I just got the mod for home use and battery life. The efests will be retired. I did see Mooch's article, then re-review stating the 10A deal. I'm still mainly using the ego cloud. The 350 is really great, though...I can't wait to unpry that damn coil. XD

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Guys! Relax! I got the info I needed, and again, am going to order some LG HB6 18650's. And even on those I don't plan to vape at 350, or even 250...I just got the mod for home use and battery life. The efests will be retired. I did see Mooch's article, then re-review stating the 10A deal. I'm still mainly using the ego cloud. The 350 is really great, though...I can't wait to unpry that damn coil. XD

Enjoy it! At lower power it should go days without a charge.

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
Bald you are enjoying it. I know some people on here get a little caught up in the safety issue but you have to remember other new people will read this and most of use want people to be safe and be successful with vaping. Just be careful. Also someone could read this and say someone said these batteries are safe at 100 watts so should be safe at 200 then bad things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread