Advice please on DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConcernedMom

May 21, 2017
Just found out my 15yr old son is making his own ejuice. He buys glycerin from the local shop and adds flavoring that he buys from an ejuice store. Is this safe? Isnt there supposed to be something else in there too? He does not put nicotine in. I do not support him doing this but if he is going to continue i at least would feel better knowing its ok to make it like that.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Just found out my 15yr old son is making his own ejuice. He buys glycerin from the local shop and adds flavoring that he buys from an ejuice store. Is this safe? Isnt there supposed to be something else in there too? He does not put nicotine in. I do not support him doing this but if he is going to continue i at least would feel better knowing its ok to make it like that.

I call this a result, unless he's smoking because there's no nicotine.
(There are lots of permutations re; vaping/smoking)
The only element to worry about from a safety issue is the Nicotine base.
The rest is fine. Honestly. VG and Flavor... no problem. :)

More importantly, your support (or not) depends on the question of this being an alternative to smoking.
A 15 y.o. messing about with vaping tech to show off/have fun/be cool could just be a fad.

Reactions: Tonee N

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Way better than smoking.

Just ask him only to use USP grade glycerin. USP (United States Pharmaceutical grade.

Stay away from Soap or food grade

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Buy him a fidget spinner or two. It will be cheaper and safer for him in the long run.
Here in NV there is NO WAY he could buy anything from a vape store.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As a parent I understand the dilemma. no, a 15 year old should not be vaping. But if it's cigarettes or vaping, I'd rather my child vape. Nothing anywhere will guarantee 100% safety. If it were not for me using it to stop smoking I probably wouldn't be here and this is WAY safer than smoking.

Having said all that, if he is going to vape, there is no particular risk to him mixing the stuff up himself. Especially without nicotine around. Teen use of vape stuff is typically sporadic, so you might find he's no longer interested in it down the road.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
As a parent I understand the dilemma. no, a 15 year old should not be vaping. But if it's cigarettes or vaping, I'd rather my child vape. Nothing anywhere will guarantee 100% safety. If it were not for me using it to stop smoking I probably wouldn't be here and this is WAY safer than smoking.

Having said all that, if he is going to vape, there is no particular risk to him mixing the stuff up himself. Especially without nicotine around. Teen use of vape stuff is typically sporadic, so you might find he's no longer interested in it down the road.
Until mom sees that he spent $500 in a month.(but I've NEVER done that.[emoji1] )

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My view is what attracts kids to vaping or smoking is not flavors or nicotiine but the visible part. (It's the clouds bro'.) Kids don't see electronic ciigarette, they see cloud toy. If it means a kid will never smoke being somewhat accomodating has to be considered.

You are the parent. The law says you have to feed them, house them, and let them be educated. After that you decide what your kids can do or not do. You want to know what mod and atomizer your kid is using. Take a photo of those and show us. (See upload fiile feature is available next to post reply button). If he is using a mech mod I would make that off limits. Mechs are easily mishandled and hurt people. Ask if he is rebuilding. If yes ask what wire he's using and what resistance and tell us. What exactly is he using for flavoring? Take a photo of that and show us.

If I were in your situation, and could get away with it, I'd say the mod must be regulated wiith a built in battery and he can't vape more watts than his age and he must keep it at home. Then how about learn the ins and outs with him, may be a father son project. If there's no mech mod or nicotine in the mix and he keeps it at home you can keep an eye on it may be his cloud toy will be the thing that keeps him away from smoking and eventually he loses interest in cloud toys.

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Agree with previous comments.
Another safety area that you might want to explore is the vaping device itself. Is it regulated (with builtin circuit board protection) or not (mechanical). The latter one requires really good understanding of how the battery works, ohm's law, etc. and I would never recommend to someone who is new to vaping.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you took the time to ask the forum.
If vaping is against the law in your state, you should not only not support him but forbid him from vaping. 15 year old's are still growing and any unnecessary recreational chemicals should not be introduced to the body at that age. I suspect this may be one of the reasons for the 18 yrs and over laws. You probably know the best way to address the news to him better than I do.
The follow chart may give you a perspective:
VapeWild Test Results
Making the information available to him may help him form his own conclusions. I would try not loose to much sleep on this, as a parent, sometimes you can only inform and hope they (the children) get the message. At that age, not having a lot of money, my discretionary funds limited my rebellious to the point where I just lost interest.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Dont be ridiculous :)
You can buy the same flavourings from a food store. And VG from a pharmacy.
As long as no nicotine involved you are not limited by the vape shop.
They card heavy here, NO 15 year old is getting an thing from a B&N shop. Over the pond could be another story, I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

colonelcolt

May 21, 2014
London UK
They card heavy here, NO 15 year old is getting an thing from a B&N shop. Over the pond could be another story, I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Hmm... Food flavourings are age limited "over the pond"?
Glicerol from a pharmacy (or it's drugstore? :) ) is limited by age? How you guys cope with the chest cough then?
Or you genuinely believe that vape-related things could be purchased in vape-shops only?
:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hmm... Food flavourings are age limited "over the pond"?
Glicerol from a pharmacy (or it's drugstore? :) ) is limited by age? How you guys cope with the chest cough then?
Or you genuinely believe that vape-related things could be purchased in vape-shops only?
It is really 'not recommended' to buy food flavorings from a grocery type store here in the US. The flavor companies have geared some of their products towards vaping by removing known harmful chemicals usually found in some 'food flavors' and some of the shops that sell them also test to confirm that they have in deed been removed. It may be overkill, who knows, but we are all trying to get away from the harmful ones that are so prevalent in cigarettes. Food coloring dyes are in the ones at the grocery stores, along with fructose and who know what fillers, or how they process their product. I personally do not wish to use those.

VG can be bought in pharmacies, but usually cost much more than the online vendors sell it for. It can get you by in a pinch but I would not use on a permanent basis only because of cost. As long as 'USP' is on the label it is safe to use for vaping.

Reactions: colonelcolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread