ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Robot
I don't think so as those are only 15 amp cells. I can't find what the Maxo's internal amp limit is but I did come across the following comment on MVS sales site;

This device should only be used with rechargeable Lithium Ion IMR batteries with an amp limit of 20A. Using other batteries can be potentially hazardous.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The 30Q's are listed as 20A on testing. They should be fine in that mod. For future reference, here's a list of current recommended batteries by Mooch.
Battery Chart.jpeg

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Eskie
Just because Mooch had Q30's that measured in at 20 amps does that really mean they can all be assumed to be 20 and not the rated 15 amps?

Here is a note I copied from Battery Bro;

The Samsung 30Q 18650 battery is a relative newcomer, with its release date back in 2014. It is a very good cell, with a capacity of 3000mAh and a maximum continuous discharge of 15A.

Many people believe this is a 20A cell, which is incorrect. For a 20A, 3000mAh cell, you should consider the LG HG2.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Smoke, thanks for your reply
I am confused beacause i cant find the Max Amps Per Battery with this device and how VV devices works.
If i am not mistaken 30Q are 20A rated by Mooch

They are a new battery and it is just possible that to introduce it they rewrapped a 20 amp cell. Since it is rated at 15 amps Samsung would be free to change it at anytime to 15 amps and it would be my guess that Mooch only measured them once.

The max amp draw is the amperage limit that the unit will draw from the batteries on the battery side of the chip board and is not normally stated anywhere in the literature that comes with it, and this is different to the amps measurement showing on its screen.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Samsung 30Q's are not 'new' cells.
15a at a cell temp of 25c / 77f - - Samsung designed & rated the 30Q cell for applications where LOT cells are desirable.
(low operating temperature)
At a higher temp (but still very well within a safe temp range) the cell will provide higher amp capability.
Most cells are rated between 45c / 113f ~ 60c / 140f, so the 30Q at 15a & less CDR is a very cool operating cell.

If I were going to listen to & believe what anyone said about the cells we use other than my own company that tests cells & batteries it would be Mooch.
We continually test cells, by the container loads / pallets of cases.
Actual cell manufacturers do not change cell specifications after their release, ever, without notating the change with an additional letter or number.
(one example: vtc5 / vtc5A)
Sure, the QC of any manufacturer isn't perfect, there are a number of low performing cells that slip through every manufacturer's QC.

Most decent power devices do list an input amp limit in their specs.

There is a chance that every single cell you buy is a counterfeit, bin 2 or 3, that is why where you buys cells is most important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread