First flavor order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boompumper

Verified Member
Apr 4, 2017
Southern California
Just ordered 6 different flavors, pg, vg, and nic base to hopefully make 3 different mixes.

Decided on 'Sancho', 'Tiger's blood', and 'Mustard milk'...hope I don't screw this up.

Will be using the weight method (scale).

I believe I have done enough research, but welcome any tips or tricks you might have. I also would appreciate any 'fruit or candy' coil friendly recipes I can try in the future.

Thanks!

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Congrats on taking the leap into Diy,you'll be glad you did.You made a good choice by getting the flavors for a few recipes too,when i started,i didn't look at any recipes,i only got flavors i thought would be good as single flavors on their own,they weren't haha,so then i had to buy a bunch more after i started seeing some recipes to try.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I think the weight scales are great for large batches. For me making 100ml and less I use steam engine's liquid measurement scale calculator. I think you will find more recipes with the liquid scale and they are easier to scale to quantity. I only use organic US made nicotine that I get from two sources (pm me). The reason for this is that they are ultra clean and have little or no tobacco or other off flavors the same goes for PG/VG. Compared to buying premade juice you are saving about 2000% why not use the best. Keep all your ingredients cold or in the nicotine's case frozen, nothing like heat to change your flavors. As you know start out small and simple, get comfortable and then have at it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mixing by weight is a good way to get started. When you do a DIY batch, make a large bottle of unflavored juice with PG/VG and nic. It's a good mix to vape when you get Vapor's Tongue and nothing tastes right. Laying off the flavors seems to reset your pallet.

You can also use the nic base to test new flavors in small 10ml bottles. Once you have unflavored base with nic all you have to do is pour some unflavored in a small bottle, add flavor to the unflavored juice, and shake it up and let it steep if it needs it.

The accurate way to do that is to use a syringe to measure out the base and the flavors and just shoot them into the 10ml bottle and shake it up. You end up with a couple of tanks worth of the new flavored juice to test. If you don't like it you haven't wasted a lot of resources. If it's a keeper you make the larger bottle in your next DIY session. You can use your juice calculator to get the proportions right.

Last edited:

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I agree with @rob33. DIY by weight is good if your making large batches but DIY by measurement is the way to go IMHO. I will use syringes for flavors and nic and I will use my scale to put the right amount of VG in the bottle (I can't stand trying to suck up VG through a 14g blunt needle tip).

I also second the nic base with the VG/PG so all you have to do is add flavor and shake and also for vapors tongue.

I also would like to add a little thing I do to my juices I vape the most of is make a concentrate of flavors (if using multiple flavors). Then all you have to do is add the certain amount of ml in that juice to the nic base. Saves time so instead of pulling up how ever many ml's of the different flavors, it's just 1 syringe full, shake and vape.

As you know if you have any questions, feel free to ask and we will have an answer. If you have a specific question for one of us, PM us and we will help if we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I believe you will find weight based mixing the easiest fastest and cleanest way to make juice. I did a little tutorial that is at the top of this page Mixing By Weight: Basics 101. Mixing by weight is so simple that I feel no need to have pre-made bases that aren't very flexible. It is just so easy to weigh out your mixes that having different bottles of different bases around seems superfluous.

Welcome to the DIY and Happy Mixing
SPqDHEu.gif

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I believe I have done enough research, but welcome any tips or tricks you might have.
Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY! What is "best" is what works best for you.:D
The only advise I can offer is:
  • Mix small (sample size) batches to start. No matter how "perfect" a recipe is; it will likely need a bit of tweaking to make it perfect for you. We all have different palates, and it is understandable, even expected, that any recipe may need a little adjustment, to make it "just right" for our own taste. Also, the smaller the batch size, the faster they will mature (a 5-10mL batch will age faster than a 250ml batch will).
  • Especially now that you are just starting out, and your flavor stash is the smallest it is ever going to be; I can't encourage you enough to spend some time sampling your flavors individually. Do it not so much with the intent of finding single-flavor vapes; but with the goal of understanding what each flavor brings to the table. What their flavor profiles might be for you. At what percentages you like them best. If you care for them at all.
  • Buy your flavors in the smallest size available until you know if you are going to like them. The savings you may get from buying larger sizes don't mean anything if you don't like the product. Just because 50 other DIYers think it is "the best" does not mean that you are going to think so too. If it is a winner; buy a larger size next time.
  • Start with low percentages and work your way up as needed. When I first started mixing, I used WAY more flavoring than I needed, or was beneficial for my recipes. (this is another reason for testing your flavors individually;))
  • Practice PATIENTS! If it doesn't taste good right off the bat, put it away in a drawer or cupboard, and revisit it periodically. It can be surprising what a few days, to a few weeks, can do for a mediocre-tasting mix. Don't just start flinging a fist-full of adjustments at a new recipe. This was the hardest lesson for me to learn.
Above all, have fun, don't get discouraged, stay off the stinkies, and vape on! :D

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
+1 for @IDJoel post!!!!!!!!

@Boompumper, I think all of us has been in the same boat as you and made the mistakes that IDJoel mentioned that he made. We learned from our mistakes and we will let people new to DIY know so they don't make the same mistakes.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I believe you will find weight based mixing the easiest fastest and cleanest way to make juice. I did a little tutorial that is at the top of this page Mixing By Weight: Basics 101. Mixing by weight is so simple that I feel no need to have pre-made bases that aren't very flexible. It is just so easy to weigh out your mixes that having different bottles of different bases around seems superfluous.

Welcome to the DIY and Happy Mixing View attachment 659619

To each his own. That's why we like to let people new to DIY know that there are other ways of mixing other than by weight which a lot of people seems to say that's theONLY way to mix (not saying you did) but we need to let noobs know that there are other ways and let them try it on their own and find what is best for them. I was told the only way to mix is by weight and bout the scale and after talking with other people on here I found that I like to mix by volume. The scale I bought is used to weight out portions of venison or pork when I kill a deer or hog during hunting season. Good thing I had another use for it cause I would have just wasted money. Whatever works for the person is the best way for them to mix and that in turn will make it fun for them.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Just ordered 6 different flavors, pg, vg, and nic base to hopefully make 3 different mixes.

Decided on 'Sancho', 'Tiger's blood', and 'Mustard milk'...hope I don't screw this up.

Will be using the weight method (scale).

I believe I have done enough research, but welcome any tips or tricks you might have. I also would appreciate any 'fruit or candy' coil friendly recipes I can try in the future.

Thanks!

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, and IDJoel's post is particularly full of it.

I think you were smart to make a small initial order based on recipes you think you'll like, but be aware that different people taste different flavors really differently. For instance, some people taste an unpleasant pepper in TFA VBIC, and some can't taste some strawberry flavors well. So some highly rated recipes may not work well for you- don't let it discourage you, other flavors will be better for you. It can take a bit of experimenting though. IDJoel's advice about not ordering large bottles for first-time flavors is _very_ good advice. Knowing who charges what for what sizes, and what for shipping helps here, especially if you're price-conscious.

I think you'll find that even DIY fruit recipes are much easier on coils than most commercial juice, as long as you don't add sweetener (or use a sweetener like erythritol.) They can have some sweetener in the flavors, but far less than most commercial juices these days.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
The scale I bought is used to weight out portions of venison or pork when I kill a deer or hog during hunting season. Good thing I had another use for it cause I would have just wasted money.

I will use my scale to put the right amount of VG in the bottle (I can't stand trying to suck up VG through a 14g blunt needle tip).

What ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: dobroeutro

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
What ever.

I wasn't saying anything bad about the way you DIY. I was simply saying that we should let the person who is getting into DIY know that there are 2 ways to mix. Let them research it and make the decision which way they want to do it for themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
After all the input I have decided to use a little of both methods (weight and volume), I placed a new order for labware.

Whatever works for you is what works best, I think everyone should have the right to try and save some money while quitting.

That's what I was trying to get across but I guess someone doesn't agree. Your going to try a few things before realizing what is going to be the best for you and like you said whatever works best works best. Be sure to get back with us and let us know how it works out for you.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
That's what I was trying to get across but I guess someone doesn't agree. Your going to try a few things before realizing what is going to be the best for you and like you said whatever works best works best. Be sure to get back with us and let us know how it works out for you.

Wheelin, just a thought here but if the scale you have is heavy duty enough to weigh meat, you probably would not be very satisfied using that scale to measure 1/10s of a gram to mix eliquid.
I'd guess you might have found it not a very pleasant experience either.
Just sayin, that's all. Not trying to convince you one way or the other.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Wheelin, just a thought here but if the scale you have is heavy duty enough to weigh meat, you probably would not be very satisfied using that scale to measure 1/10s of a gram to mix eliquid.
I'd guess you might have found it not a very pleasant experience either.
Just sayin, that's all. Not trying to convince you one way or the other.

The scale I have came in a DIY mixing kit and the scale only goes up to 1lb before overload. It will weight very precise weighing 1/10 of a gram. It was a good experience using it to weight juice but I found it overkill for my 30ml-60ml bottle of juice and I could measure by volume and it just worked out better for me. I've been mixing for a while now and just like to mix by volume better unless I'm making a large quantity which I hardly ever do.

My flavors that I vape on a lot I will make a one shot concentrate so I just suck up how ever many ml of total flavor the recipe calls for out of my concentrate bottle the shoot it into the bottle for a final juice, then just top it off with VG. I don't even use the scale at all really anymore since I'm doing the concentrate and I know how much of the VG to fill to complete the bottle.

Reactions: Eskie

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
It will weight very precise weighing 1/10 of a gram.

Honestly, if I understand you correctly, that's not good enough for mixing. You want a scale that measures 1/100 of a gram (and I'm not going to get into what precision and accuracy mean here.) A scale that reads in tenths of grams is only useful for large batches.

You should mix however you prefer to, but it is my opinion that most new mixers will be far better off mixing by weight than by volume. It's more accurate, more repeatable, and requires much less equipment and clean-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread