Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I also threw a couple of those in a cart to try. Fingers crossed.

Also - in case they're NOT good, I've found the ModMaker UK bottles better than the Supersofts.
They WOULD be a little cheaper - but you have to ship from UK...so it's not a bargain.
But the "bottle kit" comes with
a) Similar bottle to supersoft
b) Much more consistent good threading cap - knurled!
c) decent tubing
d) a little o-ring to put inside the cap - which ENSURES a good seal, if you want to use it

I am probably going to slowly switch over in most of my mods.

531-2-800x800.jpg

Haven't tried them. Good to know. :thumb:

Reactions: Train2

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Lots of people thought the 4mm OD tubing that came with the original "Fancy Italian" bottles was non-standard, because, at the time, 3/16" OD was considered standard. Some people even drilled out the caps so they could fit 3/16" tubing in them.

Well guess what 3/16" is in mm? 4.76 mm...

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Lots of people thought the 4mm OD tubing that came with the original "Fancy Italian" bottles was non-standard, because, at the time, 3/16" OD was considered standard. Some people even drilled out the caps so they could fit 3/16" tubing in them.

Well guess what 3/16" is in mm? 4.76 mm...

You're quibbling with the word "nonstandard." I don't blame you. I'm a stickler too. Warning stands: 4mm won't seal.

BTW, I'm one of those who drilled out "Fancy Italian" bottles to fit 3/16" tubing. :p

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I drill the caps one number bit at a time till the 3/16 fits snug but doesn't cut the squonk down. Then I releave the hole edges with small dremal stones. I've had several start to loose seal with the small thin tubing. Still using the bottles I got back when without a bottle loss though.

The.Drifter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2013
Virginia
Simple little upgrade on my new Phantohm mod, the original button was recessed and would go wonky after a few presses, so I decided to make a longer button for it with a thicker contact pad.

Here is the original button on the mod:
6r0yb4jaax6j91x6g.jpg

Here is the difference between the old and new button:
39ywn438bcln6236g.jpg

and mounted:
9a4xxjy2cwc4let6g.jpg

Gonna make another button after I source a piece of stab wood that will be more matchy-matchy with the door ;)

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Simple little upgrade on my new Phantohm mod, the original button was recessed and would go wonky after a few presses, so I decided to make a longer button for it with a thicker contact pad.

Here is the original button on the mod:
6r0yb4jaax6j91x6g.jpg

Here is the difference between the old and new button:
39ywn438bcln6236g.jpg

and mounted:
9a4xxjy2cwc4let6g.jpg

Gonna make another button after I source a piece of stab wood that will be more matchy-matchy with the door ;)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Working on a 20700/21700 woody mech squonker. Pocket roughed out. Mechanism will be your basic Frankie, etc. style. Got a couple of Sanyo 20700A batteries (30 amp, 3000 mAh) coming in today, but anticipating the Samsung 21700 30T (35 amp, 3000 mAh) which should be available soon.

IMAG2788_picmonkeyed.jpg

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Working on a 20700/21700 woody mech squonker. Pocket roughed out. Mechanism will be your basic Frankie, etc. style. Got a couple of Sanyo 20700A batteries (30 amp, 3000 mAh) coming in today, but anticipating the Samsung 21700 30T (35 amp, 3000 mAh) which should be available soon.

View attachment 665735
Do you have a mill or did you do that with a router?I have a router i've had for years,and want to do something like this,but don't have the slightest clue as to what bit to even use haha.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Do you have a mill or did you do that with a router?I have a router i've had for years,and want to do something like this,but don't have the slightest clue as to what bit to even use haha.

Making do for now milling with a drill press and cross-slide vise. Real PITA, too much slop/vibration, and takes like three times longer to do. Mini mill is next on the list.

IMAG2793_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

Kentastic

Not Batman
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 30, 2013
    Central Californication
    Ok so opinions needed from my ECF tinkerers.

Old Black anodized LP/SL Reo Grand. 510 pin broke in half, along with silicon o-ring destroyed (but nylon washer intact) and contact lost.

Should I just purchase the replacement parts and get it back to stock, or take the opportunity to upgrade/customize it with a new 510 and better contacts? I've heard people have done some Grand customizations, but don't know the details and have completely given up on trying to search for anything on ECF anymore. (the back-end software's search function is just horrible)

Examples are appreciated.

2017-06-21 12.18.50.jpg

Reactions: B2L

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

Old Black anodized LP/SL Reo Grand. 510 pin broke in half, along with silicon o-ring destroyed (but nylon washer intact) and contact lost.

Should I just purchase the replacement parts and get it back to stock, or take the opportunity to upgrade/customize it with a new 510 and better contacts? I've heard people have done some Grand customizations, but don't know the details and have completely given up on trying to search for anything on ECF anymore. (the back-end software's search function is just horrible)

View attachment 666147
    I don't think the old brass 510 parts are available anymore. (You could ask the new owner Eric)
    Custom Classics makes a upgraded silver contact.
    REO Technical Issues/Shop Talk
    The Reonauts new lounge

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles

View attachment 665735

Progress. Will be testing soon.

IMAG2796_picmonkeyed.jpg

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL

View attachment 666147

Corey aka custom-classic made some upgrade positive contacts and possibly a negative as well, IIRC @muzichead installed them in one of his mods and @beckdg is a master of supercharging REOs.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2013
    Springfield, MO

View attachment 666147
    I've probably got those parts and you would be welcome to them. Drop me a PM if you want.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Done, except I'm not sold on the door. I love that wood (cocobolo) but not so much the look with the body. Gonna do a spalted tamarind door if I can get it to stabilize well enough. That will take a week or two to settle down dimensionally.

Only thing out of the ordinary with the mechanism is the contact material: 1mm 6061-T6. Mechanical properties are just right, and of course it conducts really well. We'll see about whether it fouls at the contact points much more than plated brass, etc. Been using the mod for a couple of days now and so far no signs of problems.

IMAG2826_picmonkeyed.jpg
    IMAG2820_picmonkeyed.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2813_picmonkeyed.jpg
      IMAG2813_picmonkeyed.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 88
    • IMAG2814_picmonkeyed.jpg
      IMAG2814_picmonkeyed.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 85
    • IMAG2816_picmonkeyed.jpg
      IMAG2816_picmonkeyed.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 88
    • IMAG2808_picmonkeyed.jpg
      IMAG2808_picmonkeyed.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Done, except I'm not sold on the door. I love that wood (cocobolo) but not so much the look with the body. Gonna do a spalted tamarind door if I can get it to stabilize well enough. That will take a week or two to settle down dimensionally.

Only thing out of the ordinary with the mechanism is the contact material: 1mm 6061-T6. Mechanical properties are just right, and of course it conducts really well. We'll see about whether it fouls at the contact points much more than plated brass, etc. Been using the mod for a couple of days now and so far no signs of problems.

View attachment 666987 View attachment 666989

That looks phenomenal, I love the internals, they're so sharp and clean :thumb:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread