Can anyone advise me how to fix a mod battery ribbon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi, the video clearly shows the problems with the dotmod battery area.
Dropbox - Dotmod batteries.mov

When it was brand new, applying massive force i managed to pop the batteries out ONE time using the ribbon, and they went flying across the room. Literally. That’s how much force i had to put on the ribbon to pull the vtc5a’s out.
And as you can see it ripped the ribbon. Then i charged them and put them back in, and have not removed them till today, ever. I had to pry them out with a plastic magnetic usb cable remover thingy, and both wraps got torn at the connection points.
This is why i haven’t used the mod much, despite it's sheer beauty.
If anyone has one or can get their hands on one at a store, ask the seller to put two batteries in, and try get them out with the ribbon. Their hands will slip off the ribbon before they ever get them out, and when they finally do they will go flying.

The ribbon has become hopelessly short now from all the shredding. So i am wondering, if i cut it at the shred point, is there any material that's safe to use that i could perhaps glue to it or tie it to make a longer pull tab with grip? if this had been a double like the yihi it would have been fine, or a centre mounted one. Such a massive design flaw, as every single removal of batteries will ruin wraps.

And dotmod won't answer me if it's balanced charging so i only have to take them out to rotate once a month (facepalm). Amazing.

PS if anyone is wondering, this mod is a showpiece that is a piece of junk. Terrible chipset. Watts mode and curve mode is FINE.. if you are a TC vaper, do not even think about it. Needs 500 faranheit to get similar to a dna at 420, and then periodically burns. IT is so inconsistent, no firmware available, overpriced POS. Truly. It has now become my single biggest regret purchase ever, but at least if i can work out a way to fix it to remove the batteries, i can use it in watts mode.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Um no, they are flat top VTC5A's, also tried 25r's, VTC4, and aspire 1800 as they are super flat. It's just a crap battery compartment and regardless, the ribbon is cactus as you can see.. So what i need is a way to fix the ribbon, nothing else.

I can't believe anyone could even entertain the possibility of me being that dumb.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Um no, they are flat top VTC5A's, also tried 25r's, VTC4, and aspire 1800 as they are super flat. It's just a crap battery compartment and regardless, the ribbon is cactus as you can see.. So what i need is a way to fix the ribbon, nothing else.

I can't believe anyone could even entertain the possibility of me being that dumb.

Some people are that dumb. We don't know if you fall into that category without asking.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Perhaps the term "vape knowledge deficient" would be more appropriate? :rolleyes: :D I believe there have even been posts on here that "my vape won't fire" when it was simply a matter of 5 quick clicks of the button. :shock:

But, to op's problem. If going with the sewing a strip to the original ribbon, I would consider a single strip looped over the top and bottom of the original ribbon for extra strength given the tightness of the batteries. I would also make it as long as possible giving more to hold on to.

I also find it disturbing that the manufacturer won't even answer a question, let alone offer replacement or repair at some cost to the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread