Status
Not open for further replies.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
I had a Vendor tell me that he loved Gold wire. A jeweler friend of his let him try it. I priced it back then at a jeweler in town. I think 3ft of 28g was $240.
greedy.gif
Yeah, it had better vape well.
laugh.gif

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Yet you're doing so in this thread. Knock it off.
sorry I'm lost.. are we not allowed to say if we think a product sucks in a topic?

Is there a review section dedicated for hardware I am missing? If not that's an excellent idea. There are many products i'd love to give glowing reviews for and a few not so glowing.

Sincere question, no sarcasm.. just that I like to understand a forum's rules, and i think i keep getting them wrong here.. as up until you came in, I swear, honestly, I hadn't noticed Anthony do a thing wrong.. to me it was just normal banter about experiences with the captain.

Reactions: Fozzy71

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Press fit loosening is not an issue with the pd270 - it's not press fit. I popped the top, there is a locking ring on the inside (negative lead soldered to it, not visible in this photo).

Sorry for the poor focus, but the nut is still clearly visible.

b453cd5db233c8ade8993fa420e0fad8.jpg

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
That must be the latest thing now for reviewers to reef and yank on the 510 connections. Most all mods have pressfit 510's as it is much cheaper and easier to manufacture...

I don't like the "battery post" style connector used as a 510 pin with a spring under it, again much cheaper to manufacture. If there were going to be any issues with the 510 on the Captain, I'd love to replace it with a Varitube 30mm black smooth top. I don't think there is enough room to install one though, might be a little snug. ;)

blk_V2_510.jpg

johnnyelevator

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
long beach, ca
Press fit loosening is not an issue with the pd270 - it's not press fit. I popped the top, there is a locking ring on the inside (negative lead soldered to it, not visible in this photo).

I can see it clear as day! Good to know they are using a nut to secure the 510 to the chassis. Thanks dude.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017

I really didn't want to come back to this thread but I will say I have to give then credit for that. The 510 wasn't like that before. Ijoy contacted me after my review and that new one in your pic is pretty much exactly how I told them it should be. I hope my rainbow one is like that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

J.P. Ambrutis

Jun 10, 2017
I haven't done the firmware update myself, mine seems to work ok in TC mode, it is just off 20 to 25f. I was just vaping the Captain subtank on my Captain mod in TC, good vape.

I am not going to do the firmware update just because I already know were to set my temp. Even though it is off I am already use to it so why change. If the TC sucked then I would do the update.

There is definitely a qc issue with this mod though for some to have decent TC and for others to have horrible.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
sorry if I'm digging up an old thread. (Hip surgery, yay) Although I will tell you, I am glad that I didn't read this thread before I bought my pd270. One of the best 40 bucks ever. Very, very, happy with this mod. Does a lot for me.

And with the previous talk of TC on Smoks Baby Beast, as mentioned, none of those coils are temperature control. they're not meant to be, however, it will try to treat them all as TC if you insist, I just got dumb lucky with my M2 head showing up around the same time I was learning a new mod. While the actual temp is wrong, once you get it comfortable, it stays that way, puff after puff. Interestingly, the M2 setting on the PD270 was okay, but letting the mod try to force it into other modes it turns out that faking it out to thinking it was an Ss coil...that one seemed most accurate, with the most leeway on either side of comfortable was better. Whereas the Ni setting screamed red hot the minute you hit fire, and the Ti still too hot and the pre programed M1 setting hardly fired at all. These were the same with the M2 coils and the X4 (although the x4 is quirky in other ways).

It was fun messing around with all the TC mods settings and heads. Going to get my new Cielto Monday. And again, glad I bought this mod first before reading.. lol

Last edited:

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States

That's awesome, glad they fixed the problem before final production. Now it makes sense why the roll out was pushed back. I remember Vapanfagin put a pick of the press fit 510 he was able to pull out, he had a preproduction version though so they went back and fixed it. They should send out the new version to all the reviewers so they can retest.

I just popped the top on my Captain as well and yep, that 510 is screwed down, bot going anywhere!

Thanks again for posting that pic. Now I know I am not crazy for having a different experience using it than the reviewers who got preproduction models.

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
sorry if I'm digging up an old thread. (Hip surgery, yay) Although I will tell you, I am glad that I didn't read this thread before I bought my pd270. One of the best 40 bucks ever. Very, very, happy with this mod. Does a lot for me.

And with the previous talk of TC on Smoks Baby Beast, as mentioned, none of those coils are temperature control. they're not meant to be, however, it will try to treat them all as TC if you insist, I just got dumb lucky with my M2 head showing up around the same time I was learning a new mod. While the actual temp is wrong, once you get it comfortable, it stays that way, puff after puff. Interestingly, the M2 setting on the PD270 was okay, but letting the mod try to force it into other modes it turns out that faking it out to thinking it was an Ss coil...that one seemed most accurate, with the most leeway on either side of comfortable was better. Whereas the Ni setting screamed red hot the minute you hit fire, and the Ti still too hot and the pre programed M1 setting hardly fired at all. These were the same with the M2 coils and the X4 (although the x4 is quirky in other ways).

It was fun messing around with all the TC mods settings and heads. Going to get my new Cielto Monday. And again, glad I bought this mod first before reading.. lol
The QC issue I was mentioning was when I thought the 510 on the preproduction models was the same as the ones they are selling to the public. We are lucky that iJoy listened to the reviewers who were having problems and fixed it prior to final production.

I have actually been saying it is a good mod, not great but good for sure. Anthony Vapes and I are usually real close in our likes and dislikes when it comes to mods. He is an excellent reviewer and reviewed what he had in front of him, can't fault him for that. It is reviewers like him who keep the fire under the manufacturers feet by being brutal when it is warranted.

And as far as TC it is important to have a solid connection for it to work right. Now that they ditched the press fit 510 for a screwed down version this would make a big difference in TC quality. While it is not the most accurate TC it is better than most Chinese junk.

Glad you like yours, it is a good mod for sure.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Vapanfagin put a pick of the press fit 510 he was able to pull out, he had a preproduction version though so they went back and fixed it.
What Fagan did was so far beyond normal vaping conditions that it was ridiculous. He yanked and tugged on it until it finally came out.
I just popped the top on my Captain as well and yep, that 510 is screwed down, bot going anywhere!
The Captain has something of a shallow 510, so you should probably try other tanks. Please let us know if you still have problems with all of them. BTW, what Firmware version does yours show when you turn in On? That will give you an idea of how old it is. V1.2 or 1.3 is normal these days. V1.1 is the earliest I've heard of. V1.4 is out now. Sorry, I misread your post.

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
What Fagan did was so far beyond normal vaping conditions that it was ridiculous. He yanked and tugged on it until it finally came out.

The Captain has something of a shallow 510, so you should probably try other tanks. Please let us know if you still have problems with all of them. BTW, what Firmware version does yours show when you turn in On? That will give you an idea of how old it is. V1.2 or 1.3 is normal these days. V1.1 is the earliest I've heard of.

But what the pic showed was that fagans 510 was press fit, they made the change to the scew down 510 when it went into production.

I had already checked, I have V1.1 but as I stated earlier I already know temp is off by 20 to 25f and it is working well if I just compensate for that. I am comparing it to DNA, Yihi and FSK chipped mods which are widely known to be the most accurate for TC. I am not bashing the Captain TC performance, I use it in TC a lot and if it sucked it would be a power only mod for me.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
But what the pic showed was that fagans 510 was press fit, they made the change to the screw down 510 when it went into production.
Daniel (DJLsb) said that ring was press-fit on. If it's actually screwed on, that might be even better.
I had already checked, I have V1.1 but as I stated earlier I already know temp is off by 20 to 25f and it is working well if I just compensate for that. I am comparing it to DNA, Yihi and FSK chipped mods which are widely known to be the most accurate for TC. I am not bashing the Captain TC performance, I use it in TC a lot and if it sucked it would be a power only mod for me.
I never thought you were bashing it. Far from it. I misread your post. I thought you had a tank that did not connect. When I read it again, I struck all that out.

I rebuilt a tank's RBA with TA1 after trying SS so many times. The TA1 26g Dual (Single) Coils build works much better, but it doesn't work like other Mods at 60W 420°F. I have it set to 75W 460°F and it's doing "OK" now.

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Daniel (DJLsb) said that ring was press-fit on. If it's actually screwed on, that might be even better.

I never thought you were bashing it. Far from it. I misread your post. I thought you had a tank that did not connect. When I read it again, I struck all that out.

I rebuilt a tank's RBA with TA1 after trying SS so many times. The TA1 26g Dual (Single) Coils build works much better, but it doesn't work like other Mods at 60W 420°F. I have it set to 75W 460°F and it's doing "OK" now.
Djlsb had a preproduction Captain like all the reviewers. They switched it from a press-fit to a screw in from the back with a nut as shown earlier in this thread and I removed the top on mine and it was the same.

I know a lot of reviewers had tanks that did not work but that was due to the press fit 510. I have tried at least 20 tanks on mine and all of them worked. The Aromamizer Plus and Blazer 200 were both tanks that some had problems with, both of those work on my Captain.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, appreciate that.

Here is the pic again that was posted a page or so back. That is a nut holding it from underneath, no way to pull that out.

cee92058a428648f07383d8ce83a25bd.jpg

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Here is a little clearer pic I just took. You can see a little juice around the 510 though, would be nice if it was sealed.....make sure you don't put a leaky tank on the Captain mod.

2c2c184fcf761735adfc2aadbf377684.jpg
Thanks. Before seeing this, I opened mine out of curiosity, and it looks like the picture above. :thumbs:

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
so since mine was a sealed retail version (3 weeks old got it the day store had stock), i would hazard a guess it's got the corrected 510? I don't really want to open it.

I noticed regardless it's a pooey 510 in that the minimum distance is too deep. Tanks with shorter 510 pins don't make contact at all with it here.

Reactions: 100%VG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread