Status
Not open for further replies.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
I think alot of vapers start with dual use and transition to full time vaping over a period of years.

Yes, there are those examples of smokers who pick up vaping and never go back, but I think a much larger number try an ecig, go back to smoking, try again then go back to smoking, etc., etc..

My term for this behavior is comparative nicotine use: they are comparing vaping to smoking.

My personal belief, and experience, is that if this goes on long enough vaping wins out over smoking.

So when I see a number like 87%, in regards to vaping failure, my feeling is the true failure is in interpreting what is actually happening in the real world.

There is a battle going on in peoples' lives, with the objective being to be able to breathe better, to be healthier, to get out from under cigarettes.

It's messy; it's not linear; it defys neat little conclusions drawn from incomplete data, by people who have the very vaguest notion of what that's like to experience because they haven't and may very well, indeed do as we all surely know by now, have their own axe to grind.

Vaping is stickier than it appears to be imo.

It's just not happening in a way that plugs into the way ignorant people are thinking about it.

We need more researchers who actually, yanno, vape.

And it wouldn't hurt if they weren't quite so aghast at all the various addictions humans are prone to. It happens. Get over it.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think alot of vapers start with dual use and transition to full time vaping over a period of years.

Yes, there are those examples of smokers who pick up vaping and never go back, but I think a much larger number try an ecig, go back to smoking, try again then go back to smoking, etc., etc..

My term for this behavior is comparative nicotine use: they are comparing vaping to smoking.

My personal belief, and experience, is that if this goes on long enough vaping wins out over smoking.

So when I see a number like 87%, in regards to vaping failure, my feeling is the true failure is in interpreting what is actually happening in the real world.

There is a battle going on in peoples' lives, with the objective being to be able to breathe better, to be healthier, to get out from under cigarettes.

It's messy; it's not linear; it defys neat little conclusions drawn from incomplete data, by people who have the very vaguest notion of what that's like to experience because they haven't and may very well, indeed do as we all surely know by now, have their own axe to grind.

Vaping is stickier than it appears to be imo.

It's just not happening in a way that plugs into the way ignorant people are thinking about it.

We need more researchers who actually, yanno, vape.

And it wouldn't hurt if they weren't quite so aghast at all the various addictions humans are prone to. It happens. Get over it.
The researachers are frantically searching for problems, not solutions. I said it already,, they don't understand vaping because they don't want to understand. A few lonely voices in congress stand up for us. It takes courage to defend any minority, including vapers and smokers. The career civil service people cower behind their desks. Keeping their jobs has to be the priority, understandable. There are probably, hopefully, people in the FDA who don't like what the FDA is trying to do and may be now they can help Gottlieb navigate the process to better outcomes. I would move food regulation to the ag department and abolish patent protection for future medical treatments. There wouldn't be much left of the FDA after that.

Reactions: Nicole Li

Mrjayvape

May 30, 2017
We should help our friends to stop somking by vaping ... We should plan how to unban vaping in Singapore because really it help from somking than why I still vaping ..... We soon do something so that Singapore can vaper openly ....... Our sg vaper we should stand up and fight to unban vaping

Simar Sidhu

Moved On
Jun 1, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vaping has actually led to overall better health for me. Since I can taste everything these days I'm consuming less sugar and enjoying it. Soft drinks are so sweet that I tend to gravitate to half-sweet tea and lots of water.

Instead of gaining weight from stopping smoking I've dieted, stayed on an exercise program, and lost 13 pounds easily (and maintained the loss for a couple of years). That was an unexpected benefit from the change to vaping.

bilmaxey

Jun 2, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Please do not cross post the same thing in multiple areas.

manny123maggie

Unresolved Status
Jun 2, 2017
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Nicole Li

Jun 5, 2017
My friend Amelia and I wrote the first of a two-part essay on how existing research methods into smoking cannot result in an understanding of vape, or new technology generally.

Amelia is a PHD candidate at the University of Waterloo, Canada. She has a particular interest in the social, political and cultural dimensions of expert knowledge-making in science and technology.
She's one of the most interesting thinkers I know, so writing this with her has been a real privilege.

Have a read!

Is vaping sticky enough? And how can we tell?
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of cloudiness. :toast:
:thumbs:

Nicole Li

Jun 5, 2017
I know that every poll and questionnaire on vaping or smoking I've seen doesn't properly ask about dual use. OK you dual use, how many packs a day? .01 isn't an option either, multiple choice.

It is a great question though, I've known a few smokers that mess around with ecigs but it doesn't really cut into their smoking. I do know smokers have a lot of weird things to say as sort of excuses to not vape. Two different people said they'd switch if exactly like their cigs, only to admit later they didn't enjoy the taste of smoking at all! They seem obsessed with the idea that they don't want a new addiction and therefore don't want it to be too good. This is a misunderstanding of how vaping works. I've said vaping works by being addictive and that's a misunderstanding also, although close. "Sticky" is a good word, a combination of some addictiveness and otherwise being attractive. "Magnetic" better depicts invisible lines of force however.

A common fear expressed is that it's just exchanging one addiction for another, to which perhaps the best answer is yes and no, obviously cold turkey can not be improved upon if you have the willpower. For low willpower however, vaping is the real deal. It is a path to fully quit if that's what you really want, and if you don't really want to quit just want to not be ill, it's great for that too. And it is less addictive.

As to making ecigs more addictive, again I must point out that tobacco additives have very little to do with it, whole tobacco is naturally more addictive than refined nicotine due to its other active ingredient, whole tobacco alkaloids. And absolutely, WTA-infused ejuices probably should be well known to fill in lack of satisfaction, available in every vape shop and convenience store that sells ecigs, because by the time people find small vendors on the internet with them they usually don't need WTAs anymore (although there's now the argument that nic salts are the answer, conventional nic actually makes some people sick and with salts the nic level can be increased without problem). At the same time, due to lack of understanding or some other reason, few point out the reduced effectiveness and addictiveness of pure nicotine ejuice does mean you're 90% of the way to quitting by the time you're only vaping. However the taste and enjoyment does get mixed up in your mind with nicotine so there's that.
yes

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I first got involved with state level (Utah) e-cig politics in 2012, and one thing became evident from the start.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    --HERBERT SPENCER

Once this principle started those involved with policy making became open to any and all negative statements by anyone, and quoted those statements as being "fact".
    This negative campaign has worked ... and worked well to convince those that smoke to continue to smoke.

Now for a disagreement:

I find that the statement that "products have gotten better" to be false.
    It is true that products have gotten "different", but "better" is simply a matter of preference.
    There were plenty of products available by 2010-11 that were both efficient & effective.
    In fact, I am using right now, a PV that was perched in 2010 (Mako) that still works as well as any PV available on the market today.

Thank you for sharing this. I agree that comparing 2009 to 2017 in vaping isn't really going to work well. They might as well try to compare the AM/FM original Sony Walkman to the latest smart phone. Research studies are always going to be behind by the time they get published, and if they involve technology, they will be horribly outdated because the devices they are reviewing have changed considerably during that time.

The cigalike kit devices may not be enough to get smokers to switch completely, but I think many of us started there and got the idea that vaping might work if we got something better. If the governments kill vaping now, it will be extremely hard for today's smokers to find the more customisable devices many of us use now. I really think all of the anti's need to back off a bit and give vaping enough time to do some real long-term studies. I think we have enough anecdotal evidence that it might really be safer and more effective as a tool to get people off cigarettes.

I prefer customisable to advanced as a way to describe the products many of us on ECF use because I think the ability to customise our gear to suit our tastes is what got many of us to switch completely. The kits may not help all of the people that are ready to switch if they don't offer the bits and pieces that each smoker needs to get off the cigarettes. We joke in here about MTL is beginner and sub-ohm DL is advanced, but really it comes down to whatever it takes to keep us happy and off the burning tobacco.

I was watching a Chantix commercial on TV a few days ago and thought it was rather interesting that they were comparing it to gums, patches, and other BP quitting methods and saying that their pills will help those people that couldn't quit with the officially endorsed aids. They didn't mention that they tried to compare it to vaping, and all I could do was think, "Hmmmmmm...."

Well said!
    I smoked for 25 years. I tried prescription pills twice (Wellbutrin) the first time and I was almost successful, I quit for 8 months, the longest before now. This was back in the 90's and while I was quit I still craved smoking and eventually went back to it. I tried the gun and patch with zero success. In early 2000's I tried Wellbutrin again and I felt anxious and The longer I took the drug the more I needed to be put into a padded room. I thought I would never succeed after all my fails. I thought well I can't quit, but I can reduce tej amount I smoke. I got down to a pack a day on my best days. I remember when vaping first came out, I was discouraged by this point in regards to quiting. But I tried the cigarette look-a-like vape thing. It really did not take the nic-fit craving away or taste good. It may have been the product I tried. it could have been my mindset and I was comparing it to the patch or gum, which for me are useless. The patch and gum were/are very very very expensive, so to a poor boy like I was, it was not a realistic way to be successful In 2012 I tried a cig alike vape again. It still was horrible. It was not Un till last year, I worked at a place were the vapors hung out with us smokers. I saw the box mods and "customizable"atomizers. I took more interest. I am now a non smoker, it's because of vaping. To me it's a miracle because I thought I would I ne'er stop. I don't crave them or want them in the slightest. What changed this last time? my last 3 drags of a smoke was approximately 7 am Jan 18th 2017. And I started the vaping mid to late November. What change for me was that I could tinker, it could be customized to my taste/style/need. The vaping gear is far superior to what I had previously tried or seen in any gas station. I had no interest In the e-cigs that were sold in gas-stations. It was after saw the actual vape community that I changed my stance, it was the extremely welcoming, helpful and caring people in it. It was the wonderful gear to play with, this is when I became successful and my attitude permanently changed. To some, all of this vape stuff can be very intimidating. I spent days, weeks and months reading and self educating and teaching myself how to vape.

What I see as a newbie in regards to the vape community, it is OZ and we protect OZ from the non-vape outside world. I have no idea if this is the case. It seems this is done because of fear, fear of the public being judgmental, not understanding and having the wrong facts, having vaping being forever tied/compared to, big tobacco and all the negative conintatuons that go with it. through these agregeous judgements, it destroys vaping community and all the good that has and will come from it. We don't want the general public have the wrong idea, or look down its nose and think we are one and the same as tobacco. I don't have any of the answers but I can at least give you my thoight with these my fresh eyes. My opinion looking at both sides without wearing rose colored glasses.

I possible solution is to remove the curtain. Expose the vape community to people like me who have no idea it is like this. so they will get excited and give it a try. This will Also educate the masses on how caring, wonderful, lifesaving and life changing this community is. I group of people who support each other in education, safty and how they spread knowledge and give complete transparency.
    I will never smoke a cigarette again. Just last year I would never have believed I would ever say that. The vape world is going through a transition period. The worlds governments are making their laws. Sadly these laws are in the wrong direction. The jury of public opinion is still out. Now is the time to influence these laws and public opinion on vaping. All I know is if the vape world remains in the shadows, for which the leaders hope we do, if we stay in the shadows we don't have a Chance. Again I am new to this. I see the vape community voicing their opinions. I was just on the other side of the curtain. When I was there I had no idea about any of this, or any of the laws being made. Now it seems so obvious and in my face but joe public is clueless.

Last edited:
    P.S.

The way I quit was to use both at the same time. I did go into vaping with the sole intention on quiting. The reason I used both was to minimize my stress. I always tried to use the vape to satisfy my nic-fit, In order to not put pressure on myself I had a smoke when I wanted one. I naturally and quickly reduced how many smokes i had a day. I never looked at having a cig as a failure, I celebrated the reduction for which I was succeededing. I got down to one a day and then down to pretty much only 3-5 drags of that one. I had to consciously make the decision stop. I put my 1/2 pack in the freezer with a date on it. My intention was if I had a smoke, which was ok, would update the date. After that pack went away into the freezer. I never had one again. I liked the dual method because it took the prssure of quiting off. I never felt like "oh no, 'sweat beads on brow' this is my last smoke...here we go...'knees shaking'. Since it was ok to smoke and I could have one if I wanted, I succeeded in quiting in the end.

KvK86

Jun 23, 2017
    My friend Amelia and I wrote the first of a two-part essay on how existing research methods into smoking cannot result in an understanding of vape, or new technology generally.

Amelia is a PHD candidate at the University of Waterloo, Canada. She has a particular interest in the social, political and cultural dimensions of expert knowledge-making in science and technology.
    She's one of the most interesting thinkers I know, so writing this with her has been a real privilege.

Have a read!

Is vaping sticky enough? And how can we tell?

Great article. Things all vapers should think about... even newbies. Particularly veterans.. thanks for posting.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    For me, vaping just became an interesting hobby. I never consciously tried to quit until one day when I realized that I was only smoking 6 a day instead of 2 packs. That was when I decided to quit after the next pack and see what happened. What happened was that I didn't have any cravings, so I just never bought another pack. I vaped after meals and with coffee and one right before bed at night for the first year. Vaping was most of my nic intake the first year and it eventually became apparent that I didn't need to buy smokes.

jercy

Moved On
    Jun 27, 2017
    US
    www.promocoup.com
    • Deleted by classwife

buiductuan182

Moved On
    Jul 9, 2017
    www.quangminhhanoi.com
    • Deleted by retired1

taric2000