Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Hi, can anyone please tell me if zirconium springs should be attracted to magnets. Curious as I thought not but find my springs are.:blink::cry::oops:

Yes, it should be attracted to magnets.

Accordingly to what I just have read, Zirconium is a "Paramagnetic".

"Paramagnetism is a form of magnetism whereby certain materials are attracted by an externally applied magnetic field, and form internal, induced magnetic fields in the direction of the applied magnetic field." (Wikipedia extract).

Technical data for Zirconium:
Technical data for the element Zirconium in the Periodic Table

Paramagnetism:
Paramagnetism - Wikipedia

Yaya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Kolimbari, Chania, Crete
Yes, it should be attracted to magnets.

Accordingly to what I just have read, Zirconium is a "Paramagnetic".

"Paramagnetism is a form of magnetism whereby certain materials are attracted by an externally applied magnetic field, and form internal, induced magnetic fields in the direction of the applied magnetic field." (Wikipedia extract).

Technical data for Zirconium:
Technical data for the element Zirconium in the Periodic Table

Paramagnetism:
Paramagnetism - Wikipedia
WOW! Thanks Ariel, that was quite amazing reading. :cool::thumbs:

ProngATO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Edmond, OK
I'm almost a month (in three days) with the same zirconium spring in my X1.
I change cotton every week and brush my spring every week with a toothbrush and only water ( I vape only VG)
It's still in excellent condition!!!:banana: Not the slightest rubbish is left over on it, tha taste is the same, only the colour is black.
Also I vape another one with flavour but I do only 1-2ml's per day so I'll tell you my results in a year :laugh:

Steliosss.

The reason the color turns black is because the zirconium coil is being heat anodized. I'm familiar with Zr when it comes to knife collecting and some of the beads that are made from pure Zr. It can turn other colors, be polished, made matte black, gloss black, etc. This shouldn't be confused with burning the coil, carbon build-up or any materials that have come in contact with zirconium. Rest assured that it's just the anodizing process that can be done with heat or in a more controlled environment with electrical current.

Here are some examples of solid zirconium items I have in my collection. Zirconium is highly prized in these examples because titanium can't be anodized black.

An amazing bead that is solid zirconium; Pete managed to get three different finishes. This bead illustrates the shiny silver - black anodized portions of the Zr coils after being heated a few times.

QlZ4jimh.jpg

A heat treated pure zirconium multi-tool.

1sLnKUih.jpg

steliosss

kindness always repays... be sure of that...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
Athens - Greece (GG land)
www.e-smokeguru.gr
This shouldn't be confused with burning the coil, carbon build-up or any materials that have come in contact with zirconium. Rest assured that it's just the anodizing process that can be done with heat or in a more controlled environment with electrical current.

I think you're right... thanks for the infos buddy :)

ProngATO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Edmond, OK
I am not familiar with this prossedure but it looks awesome Prong!!

Hey Imeo! I'm just trying to help people understand how versatile elemental zirconium really is. As you've pointed out, it's used in the dental and medical fields for its biocompatibility. I wanted to highlight what else zirconium can and is used for. In addition I hoped to explain the anodizing process that the coils undergo when applying heat and electrical current. I got a little long-winded, for that I apologize.

My major reason was to explain that the black area on zirconium coils isn't burnt and hasn't decreased in diameter nor mass; it's just been anodized black as a natural process of elemental (pure) zirconium.

Mehmet Bizcanli

Apr 25, 2017
I added some information about the springs on the GG Wiki:

Springomizer - GG Wiki
Great info, thanks..
With thesee advantages, I must use zirconium wire on tilemahos armed. But on table, tcr values seeming as below;

Per specification:
Known working values:

So, which value I must set it?
0,0044 or any value between 0,00088 with 0,00120.

And, what about compensate temp on mod? it's seeming 23 degree for me now..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread