Taifun GT Discusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Got tired of waiting on the Shenray, as usual they take forever to get them out the door, Shenray's first batch was limited to a run of 400 pieces, kind of stupid when they have orders for 3 times that. Next batch they say are going to be end of month, so probably sometime end of July, or August before its anywhere near in stock, or ships nest day.

I imagine the Shenray will be done very well, seems SXK, and Coppervape have not jumped on it, so who knows if they even will. In the mean time I ordered the cheap one from FT, shipped today. Looks intteresting from the reviews I watched. Still not sold on it, but who knows.

@ShawnHoefer in case you missed it, don't use the mesh they included with the one you purchased supposed to be Nickel.
Coppervape is concentrated on the Skyline rta clone which by all accounts is fantastic

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Yeah, Skyline was OK, but just not for me, had and sold 3 of them. But yea, it may take them a while to put out a BT, or maybe they may pass on it. Seems not all that much enthusiasm over the BT. As long as Shenray doesn't screw it up it will probably be the one to get. Everyone on Facebook who has gotten the newest Shenray Genius AKA Gel lite are having issues with the centerpost snapping due to over drilling the depth of the 510. Small but dumb things like that are Shenray's (SER) downfall.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I got to come home from a family matter that kept me away from my newly arrived toys. After a 22 hour drive, I napped, and, when I woke up, I headed straight to the pile of vapemail I had missed. Of course, the item I am most stoked about is the Taifun BT...

A quick rinse and dry, and I was ready. Here's what I learned...

1. When is comes to the mesh, less is better.

2. When it comes to the cotton, more is better.

3. The pins need to be twisted a bit to ensure proper contact.

4. It would be helpful if I learned German...

Long story short, throw out everything you know about wicking. The wick needs to fill the deck, and be packed and mounded in the mesh. Make very sure that the cotton is tucked into every nook and cranny and mounded a bit on top. Don't pack it rock hard, but it's gotta be full full full.

My first build, I cut the mesh the height of the slot. That's too much, and it was hard to get proper clearance between the deck and the mesh. This led to stray pieces of mesh making unseen contact and fluctuating resistance. About 3/4 the depth of the slots is working great in my second build.

When I wicked the first build, I made sure there was cotton everywhere, but it was loose... I was planning on the cotton expanding as it was juiced up. That's what normally happens, but with this build, you've also got to consider what happens as the liquid is vaporized and the cotton shrinks again. I ended up using nearly twice as much cotton as I expected.

There was a rumor that the mesh included with the FT kit... the first one available... was Ni200 mesh. Of course, I can't speak for all kits, but the mesh in mine was SS. At least, the resistance was as I expected, and it colored when pulsed. Even so, I did my second build with some coarser mesh I had on hand... I think the included mesh is 400, and I think I used 250 the socond time 'round.

The first build yielded a nice vape, but a lot of nasty hot spot hits. The second build, after adding even more cotton after the initial wicking, is performing flawlessly.

I am curious to see how it'll behave in TC. I have a feeling it won't behave at all...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
1. When is comes to the mesh, less is better.

Interesting, mine is just slightly lees then full height and does much better then a reduced height I did try about 1/2 and 3/4, the shorter I got the less I liked the performance, flavor fell off as did density of the vapor.

2. When it comes to the cotton, more is better.

Using cotton in mine is a bit of a balancing act, a little too much and it does not maintain full saturation at higher power levels. I ended up using Rayon, a full thickness (not split) stub of it is very close to perfect diameter and density.

3. The pins need to be twisted a bit to ensure proper contact.

4. It would be helpful if I learned German...

didn't have any contact issues at all with the cheap clone, thus far I've had zero hot spots.

Long story short, throw out everything you know about wicking. The wick needs to fill the deck, and be packed and mounded in the mesh. Make very sure that the cotton is tucked into every nook and cranny and mounded a bit on top. Don't pack it rock hard, but it's gotta be full full full.

You definitely have to make sure your wicking material makes full contact with the mesh cage.

My first build, I cut the mesh the height of the slot. That's too much, and it was hard to get proper clearance between the deck and the mesh. This led to stray pieces of mesh making unseen contact and fluctuating resistance. About 3/4 the depth of the slots is working great in my second build.

This part I guess I'd have to chalk up to the difference in the clones, full height on mine performed noticeably better, the mesh cage was notably more secure in the slots, and has plenty of clearance.

When I wicked the first build, I made sure there was cotton everywhere, but it was loose... I was planning on the cotton expanding as it was juiced up. That's what normally happens, but with this build, you've also got to consider what happens as the liquid is vaporized and the cotton shrinks again. I ended up using nearly twice as much cotton as I expected.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of Rayon for various reasons but in the BT it really works well, pushed in tight, fibers remain straight and not much of a difference between saturated and dry.

There was a rumor that the mesh included with the FT kit... the first one available... was Ni200 mesh. Of course, I can't speak for all kits, but the mesh in mine was SS. At least, the resistance was as I expected, and it colored when pulsed. Even so, I did my second build with some coarser mesh I had on hand... I think the included mesh is 400, and I think I used 250 the socond time 'round.

The rumor was confirmed by both the manufacturer and Fasttech staff. The potentially dangerous error was corrected quickly, glad yours shipped with SS. Mesh density didn't seem to have much effect in my playing around.

The first build yielded a nice vape, but a lot of nasty hot spot hits. The second build, after adding even more cotton after the initial wicking, is performing flawlessly.

I am curious to see how it'll behave in TC. I have a feeling it won't behave at all...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mine has been doing surprisingly well in TC mode, I figured same as you that it would not. I've used it on DNA, FSK, Yihi, and Ijoy based chips so far and have had stellar results. Power mode 35-160 watts with Rayon, cotton floundered at the upper end and did not work well.

The system really lets you dial in your preferred vape from relatively cool, to relatively hot. I'm not a fan of throat hit, and using some juice which is normally relatively harsh for a test ended up in a very smooth vape.

Some other pluses for me is the complete lack of popping, spit back, and other such anomalies. Dry burn reminds me of torching mesh for a Genny, cleans up really well. Gunking of the mesh also seems to take much longer then coils, I have some juice which ends up in a really nasty gunked coil after just a few ml, I've put a fair amount of juice through mine so far and build up seems quite a bit slower then a coil.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Yeah, Skyline was OK, but just not for me, had and sold 3 of them. But yea, it may take them a while to put out a BT, or maybe they may pass on it. Seems not all that much enthusiasm over the BT. As long as Shenray doesn't screw it up it will probably be the one to get. Everyone on Facebook who has gotten the newest Shenray Genius AKA Gel lite are having issues with the centerpost snapping due to over drilling the depth of the 510. Small but dumb things like that are Shenray's (SER) downfall.
What didnt you like about it ,
Only thing i can find is that its not got a metal base around glass tanks bottom for removing the base whilst its still got juice , other than that , everything else im liking seem like my kind of Atomisers style,
have you tried the Squape x dream its quite good with the single coil deck
Or Taifun GTv3 ,
The mini GTv3 is probably best Version, got 2 good clones and one authentic before TDP landed ,

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
What didnt you like about it ,
Only thing i can find is that its not got a metal base around glass tanks bottom for removing the base whilst its still got juice , other than that , everything else im liking seem like my kind of Atomisers style,
have you tried the Squape x dream its quite good with the single coil deck
Or Taifun GTv3 ,
The mini GTv3 is probably best Version, got 2 good clones and one authentic before TDP landed ,

My airflow requirements are beyond what the Skyline is able to meet even without any insert at all, and once you open it up that much it is lacking in flavor. +limited build space. I tried it mostly due to the huge amount of hype. Yes it a nicely designed atomizer, looks nice, good vape, but as the old saying goes not all its cracked up to be. Not sure dis-like is a good description it ticks all the boxes except the above, I liked it OK, just not enough to keep them.

I have both Xdream, and GT3 like both

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I can't seem to locate the 430 mesh seller, perhaps they changed to 316.
Here's were I got the idea
"SS430 is used for weaving mesh due to its magnetic properties. All of the wires in this range are also used in our mesh products."
From this page:
430 Grade Stainless Steel Wire - 0.44mm (440 Micron - 25 AWG)
Hey but they're Crazy so.....................

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I got my $12 one from FT today, it's needing some attention as to how the top part of the deck (positive) fits against it's negative counter part underneath it. Getting short some times.
And later:
A little Dremel action and a smaller o-ring between the decks under the positive post and it's now doing pretty good. I Dremeled out the juice fill holes on the under side of the negative deck slightly...now it fills a bit easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread