Status
Not open for further replies.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
She's good with Hangsen Highway or FA Virginia, Cowboy, or Soho, and unflavored nic mix. It's just a few very sweet flavors she finds to be cloying. I don't vape Desert Ship much unless I'm outside cutting grass or doing yard work.

I've got Highway and Desert Ship, but not any of the others. I'll have to try those in the future, when I'm done testing the ones I just got. Thanks Dave.

snkrumble

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
Port Huron, MI, USA
I can't help you much rumble, as I haven't bought any of the Fasttech juice offerings myself to compare. I have Hangsens RY1 and RY3, but no RY4 so am not of much help. Sorry.
Think I'll take the gamble and buy 30ml of hangsen ry4 flavoring. This hangda I got a 10ml bottle and even in my pods I'm burning through that fast lol gonna need a refill. From what I've seen on Google searches hangda is same thing. Just takes too long to get here about a month or so.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Well, I'm into this Gold & Silver now. Slots, you were right on with you're appraisal of Gold & Silver being weak, as at 7% I'm finally getting some flavor. "Clint" says Howdy Slots, glad to make your acquaintance ;).
Now kick it up to 8%, and your good to go
1210FE~124.GIF

Reactions: 52anddone

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'll let you know when I get it, supposedly Monday (that's what USPS tracking says anyway).

So far I like Highway at 4% but it seems a little thin in flavor, so will up that to 5% and see what happens. If I like 5% of Highway on it's own, then I will add some RY1 to it and compare. I take it that RY1 will add some sweetness ??

Tobaccos need several weeks to mature and develop true flavor. You'll see them darken progressively during that time. After a week you'll get a hint of the final flavor, but wait several weeks before you start adding more flavor. Add too much and you'll end up diluting them with unflavored nic mix. The upside is that once you find out how far to cut the mix you may have two or three bottles of good juice from the one over-flavored bottle!

Highway gets much stronger and more flavorful after 4 weeks steeping. If you like strong tobaccos you will like FA Virginia, too.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Tobaccos need several weeks to mature and develop true flavor.

I asked that same question a while back in this thread and someone (don't remember who now, my memories getting sketchy these days) said that Hangsens Tobacco is ready to go right away, no steep time needed. I guess that answer was a bit of sarcasm that just went over my head at the time. I asked because the only Tobacco I had mixed to that point was Arabic HS, and I hadn't noticed much change in the flavor as I only mixed up small amounts and used that up in about 2 weeks time. Or maybe my sense of taste is not as far along as I thought it was ?? This is the first time I have tried to mix for flavor (the Arabic I was mixing for TH only as my sense of taste had not come in yet when I was testing it). Oh well, I'll figure it out at some point in time, no biggie. Thanks again Dave.:thumb:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Now kick it up to 8%, and your good to go View attachment 666967

I'm at 8% right now Slots (just upped a new 10ml batch) and it seems better now, Thanks for the tips.:thumbs: From what Dave just posted, I might have to decrease all my %'s in the future (if I make bigger batches and let it steep), but right now I have ( I work on (1) 10ml batch at a time for testing purposes);

Arabic @ 4%
Highway @ 4.5%
Desert Ship @ 5%
Gold & Silver @ 8%

EDIT: Those ^^^ are all sole/single flavors, not mixes.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I asked that same question a while back in this thread and someone (don't remember who now, my memories getting sketchy these days) said that Hangsens Tobacco is ready to go right away, no steep time needed. I guess that answer was a bit of sarcasm that just went over my head at the time. I asked because the only Tobacco I had mixed to that point was Arabic HS, and I hadn't noticed much change in the flavor as I only mixed up small amounts and used that up in about 2 weeks time. Or maybe my sense of taste is not as far along as I thought it was ?? This is the first time I have tried to mix for flavor (the Arabic I was mixing for TH only as my sense of taste had not come in yet when I was testing it). Oh well, I'll figure it out at some point in time, no biggie. Thanks again Dave.:thumb:

Based on my limited experience in the last year with DIY tobaccos it's usually a mistake to add flavor to Hangsen or most tobaccos until after about 3-4 weeks. There may be some that mature quickly and I have found a few other brands that I like after a week or two, but most get a lot more robust up to a month or more after mixing.

It's easy to fix if you over-flavor a batch. Just dilute it with your unflavored mix. I try to mix ahead so that I have mature juice to vape while I wait.

I have some FA Cowboy 1% that hasn't changed shades very much at all in 12 days. I've tested it and it's a good vape, but it will turn on by week 3 and fully mature by the end of week 4. Most tobaccos are a waiting game that requires planning ahead to keep mature juice ready to vape.

I like to search out multiple sites for ideas on average percentages and work from the low end upward when I add flavor. If you look at the reviews on DIY flavor vendor sites they are all over the map on percentage recommendations.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
If you look at the reviews on DIY flavor vendor sites they are all over the map on percentage recommendations.

Yes, I've seen that also. I also take into consideration the fact that my sense of taste might not be what others is. When reading these % recommendations I take into account that what someone else can taste, I might not be able to at this point in time or, they might have just gotten off of Combustibles and it's me that has the finer tasting abilities. I try to start at what I figure as the low end and go up from there.

Based on my limited experience in the last year with DIY tobaccos it's usually a mistake to add flavor to Hangsen or most tobaccos until after about 3-4 weeks. There may be some that mature quickly and I have found a few other brands that I like after a week or two, but most get a lot more robust up to a month or more after mixing.

It's easy to fix if you over-flavor a batch. Just dilute it with your unflavored mix. I try to mix ahead so that I have mature juice to vape while I wait.

Thanks Dave, I'll try and remember that as I go along with my mixes.:thumbs:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
I'm at 8% right now Slots (just upped a new 10ml batch) and it seems better now, I might have to decrease all my %'s in the future (if I let it steep)
The %'s I gave you are "after steeping", so you should be OK
Sounds like you and I have about the same number of surviving taste buds. :p

Reactions: IDJoel

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The %'s I gave you are "after steeping", so you should be OK
Sounds like you and I have about the same number of surviving taste buds. :p

After steeping, Good deal Slots, Thank You. It's been about 2 years and 10 months since I quit Tobacco products (after 52 years using them), and I quit Aug. 28th, 2014. I've been hoping that I can still recover more than I have already, but don't know as I haven't seen anyone post that after a certain time frame a person would have recovered as much as they ever will. When I lived in Arizona I worked outside mostly, and for over a decade I took up using "RedMan" chewing Tobacco :shock:, maybe that "RedMan" perverted my taste buds for good. So yeah, could be not many live taste buds left to work with Slots.:(

Reactions: Slots

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
My juices are a lot lighter in color than the same juices I used to order from vendors. Once my taste buds recovered and I could taste the flavors I started mixing on the lighter side of average concentrations.

I would hope that my taster recovers to that point, some day. Mixing on the lighter side is something I like the sound of myself.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Yes, I've seen that also. I also take into consideration the fact that my sense of taste might not be what others is. When reading these % recommendations I take into account that what someone else can taste, I might not be able to at this point in time or, they might have just gotten off of Combustibles and it's me that has the finer tasting abilities. I try to start at what I figure as the low end and go up from there.

Thanks Dave, I'll try and remember that as I go along with my mixes.:thumbs:

I would have to agree with others that your at the high end of the range now for hangsen tobacco flavors so I would wait a few weeks before adding more. I like my hangsen tobacco strong and except for a very few exceptions my max was 7% in the beginning of my vaping journey and now 4 years later it's at 4%.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
After steeping, Good deal Slots, Thank You. It's been about 2 years and 10 months since I quit Tobacco products (after 52 years using them), and I quit Aug. 28th, 2014. I've been hoping that I can still recover more than I have already, but don't know as I haven't seen anyone post that after a certain time frame a person would have recovered as much as they ever will. When I lived in Arizona I worked outside mostly, and for over a decade I took up using "RedMan" chewing Tobacco :shock:, maybe that "RedMan" perverted my taste buds for good. So yeah, could be not many live taste buds left to work with Slots.:(
I quit over 4 years ago and it took me 2.5 to 3 years to recover and start noticing the minor and subtle flavor notes in mixes, but I'm not 100% and don't know if I'll ever recover full tasting sensation and that's after smoking for 45 years. So I would say your getting close to recovering your taste so give it a little more time.

I have recovered enough that I mix tobaccos far lighter then I used to (went from 7% to 4%) and I was never able to enjoy desert and fruit mixes until this past year. Before that they just tasted flat or flavorless but now there's a burst of flavor in them.
You will also notice more flavor, mellowness and smoothness once you start cutting back your nicotine percentage (I started at 24 and now I'm at 9mg).

I would say if you haven't started already now is a good time to start cutting back the nicotine, that will help with flavor coming back. Cut back in 3mg increments every 2 months, I assure you that you will not taste or feel any negative effects. Then simply stop cutting back when you reach a flavor and comfort (Smooth, mild and flavorful) vaping satisfaction point. Also try a few desert mixes so you have a change of pace vape for those times when tobacco vaping becomes frustrating or tiresome.

These are great to start with.

Make Your Own DIY Eliquid/Juice and Candy

These are also very good (Same URL different flavors)

Make Your Own DIY Eliquid/Juice and Candy

I highly recommend the sweet southern tea. It's saved me from many a tobacco frustration fit. I've been vaping it about a year and it's still my go to change of pace vape. The rest are also very good and can all be made at 10% across the board (There those single shot flavorings that are so popular and so inexpensive).

The secret in getting your taste back is lower nicotine and switching vapes constantly with a wide range of tobacco, desert and fruit flavors (Variety). It's not uncommon for me to be seen carrying 4 - 5 different vaping instruments at a time each filled with a different flavor. This allows me to easily switch vapes continuously throughout the day.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You will also notice more flavor once you start cutting back your nicotine percentage (I started at 24 and now am at 9mg).

That happened to me. When I was at 24mg level and buying vendor juice only a few juices tasted anything like I expected. After moving down in steps to 3mg I began to find new flavor in old juices.

The main factor was time since I quit cigarettes. The longer the time the better the juice began to taste.

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I agree with you both danny and Dave. When I started vaping I was at 30mg/ml Nic (using store bought), now I'm at 9mg/ml (using my DIY). I've wanted a change of pace vape for a while now, that's why I went to Hangsens Tobacco's, from my constant Menthol/Mint mixes I use throughout the day. It didn't surprise me when I saw your post that eluded to me being at the top of the percentage range for my Hangsens Tobacco mixes. I'm still hoping that there will come a day when I can use less Hangsens in my mixes and get a great flavor, but after 2 years and 10 months my hopes are getting rather dim. I think I might have killed off a good portion of those little taster buggers for good though.:(

Reactions: Slots

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
After 28 days, my Highway at 4.5% must have got too strong, it lost all of the sweetness I so liked. I went ahead and cut it with some pre-mix and diluted it down to 4% and that sweetness came right back. Funny how .5% made that much difference in the flavor. Who Knew ?? :rolleyes:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I began HS tobac concentrates at 6% a couple years ago and since cut down to 5% and now 4% in my blends. Some has to do with the chance of tobacco concentrates disappearing cause of the regs so having to adapt to stretch out my stock. I have realized over time that I don't need that "in your face" flavor anymore. Enjoying more subtle flavors and finding more background notes in juices I been vaping for ages.
Same with the nicotine, the upgrade of my delivery device the lower my nic went. Been happy vaping 9 with low ohm builds(clapton and singlewire) in STM for a long time but now using SS wire and being able to take huge pulls using TC. I am now making 7 nic juice to accommodate those hits and once I get a headache down goes the nic again. Gezzzz...love the DIY to be able to change whatever in a whim. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread