Advice on my 1st hybrid mech? And did you know about mechs when u started or learn as you went?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Question for the OP
Does it look like this when its on the top cap of the mod?
IMG_20170625_120108_064.JPG

If not, don't use it.

DDarko419

Jan 9, 2017
Well I finally decided to take a chance and put a build in my Petri v2 and I put it on the Petri lite and amazingly I managed to get a fantastic vape and not blow my face off lol. Once I screwed it into the hybrid cap I looked underneath and the pin seemed to stick out just enough to be OK to use. At least it seems that way since I've been vaping on it all night without incident (knock on wood). I'm loving this setup and I put a pair of claptons from a demon killer coil kit in there and they ohmed out at 0.31 so afaik that's safe to use on a hybrid with an HB4 for the cell. It has a 30A cdr so that seemed like the best battery I could get in regards to being safe on a mech. I'm pretty proud of myself that I put my 1st build in a mech and it worked out great. I've never had any mech, nevermind a hybrid and I really wanted my 1st one to have a 510 connection but I just couldn't pass up 50% off a dotmod setup lol. So I think my next mech purchase might be that new Tsunami mech kit or maybe the Mage Tricker kit. I really like the look of the resin Geekvape one tho so we'll see.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

DDarko419

Jan 9, 2017
Sounds like they've dropped the ball on Quality Control. That base should have never been paired with a mod, but that's just the way I look at it.
How is the blue one? They are awesome looking setups.
I absolutely love it so far. It's so friggin tiny & light tho. When I got the mod I legit thought the box was empty cuz it weighs next to nothing. It's cerakoted aerospace grade aluminum and I gotta say, pictures realllly don't do it justice. The aqua one that I got is just plain stunning, the gold accents go with it perfectly, it just pops and when u pair it with the gold topcap (not the whole chimney of the RDA, just the very top u pull off) it's a head turning setup lol. I always wanted a Dotmod and after seeing that sale I just had to pull the trigger. I recommend signing up for their newsletter if ur interested in one cuz that's how I learned about their sale. I think most vapers would jump on a Dotmod setup for $105 instead of the $210 it usually is lol

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
wait till you try a copper hybrid setup! There are tons of 22mm 'hybrid safe' rda's and rta's....just make sure the pin protrudes, it doesn't have to stick way out, just enough that the battery only hits the pin and not the housing around it...I have used adjustable 510's in hybrids with no problem, the key is, if you do have to unscrew it a little to make contact, if you push it 'up' into the atty, if there is ANY movement of your positive post or if the pin gives at all, don't use it. I've never had one adjust itself while screwing on, i guess if it was really loose, that could happen...but i've never seen it. have fun, mechs are awesome as long as you pay attention to your battery's charge and don't run them too low, I try to use about 3.4 watts as a bottom cutoff, depending on how well it's vaping....I usually run my hb6's with a .12-.2 ohm build. Just be smart, most stuff happens in the moments of inattention...but these things aren't really 'pipe bombs' in the sense that they don't just explode when you hit the button...if there is a problem and you're paying attention, you will be able to prevent any kind of thermal runaway, let alone an explosion. Keep your gear clean and in good condition, look at your 510 pin every time you screw it into a mech, make sure your batteries are in good condition, common sense things like that.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Well I finally decided to take a chance and put a build in my Petri v2 and I put it on the Petri lite and amazingly I managed to get a fantastic vape and not blow my face off lol. Once I screwed it into the hybrid cap I looked underneath and the pin seemed to stick out just enough to be OK to use. At least it seems that way since I've been vaping on it all night without incident (knock on wood). I'm loving this setup and I put a pair of claptons from a demon killer coil kit in there and they ohmed out at 0.31 so afaik that's safe to use on a hybrid with an HB4 for the cell. It has a 30A cdr so that seemed like the best battery I could get in regards to being safe on a mech. I'm pretty proud of myself that I put my 1st build in a mech and it worked out great. I've never had any mech, nevermind a hybrid and I really wanted my 1st one to have a 510 connection but I just couldn't pass up 50% off a Dotmod setup lol. So I think my next mech purchase might be that new Tsunami mech kit or maybe the Mage Tricker kit. I really like the look of the resin Geekvape one tho so we'll see.

Notice the long ramp up time?
That's because you have claptons on a mech.
They are not intended for mech mods.
Those have too much metal mass to get an efficient vape, and take too long to heat up in a single cell mech.

DDarko419

Jan 9, 2017
Notice the long ramp up time?
That's because you have claptons on a mech.
They are not intended for mech mods.
Those have too much metal mass to get an efficient vape, and take too long to heat up in a single cell mech.
I wouldn't say it's a long ramp up but yeah, it could be better. Thanks for the advice. So u recommend putting some round wire builds in it? What gauge and how many wraps would u recommend? They're small claptons, they ohm out at 0.85 single. And can a clapton have just one core or do they always have 2 or more? Cuz I feel like these only have 1.

Reactions: Izan

DDarko419

Jan 9, 2017
This.. I wish people would stop calling the faux hybrids, hybrids. They really aren't.
Ok, I thought that anything that was direct to battery was a hybrid so my bad. So does that mean a hybrid is when a mech has an RDA that screws onto the top and touches the battery directly without going thru a hole on the top of the mod? Like they would have to be used together as a set? I just know that in all the reviews I watch they always refer to the direct to battery setup as hybrid connections. I'm new to the unregulated scene so please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying my best to learn lol

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
I wouldn't say it's a long ramp up but yeah, it could be better. Thanks for the advice. So u recommend putting some round wire builds in it? What gauge and how many wraps would u recommend? They're small claptons, they ohm out at 0.85 single. And can a clapton have just one core or do they always have 2 or more? Cuz I feel like these only have 1.

Try 5 wraps of 24 with 2.5mm id, should come out around .28-.30
IMG_20170429_172949_185.JPG

Reactions: kross8

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Ok, I thought that anything that was direct to battery was a hybrid so my bad. So does that mean a hybrid is when a mech has an RDA that screws onto the top and touches the battery directly without going thru a hole on the top of the mod? Like they would have to be used together as a set? I just know that in all the reviews I watch they always refer to the direct to battery setup as hybrid connections. I'm new to the unregulated scene so please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying my best to learn lol

A hybrid mod has threading on the atty that only works with said mod.
This one is a good example
2017-06-28-09-23-10--1170028355.jpg

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

I use single strand coils on mechanicals.
I haven't made or used claptons or exotic builds in years.
They look cool, but offer no functional advantage, and are extremely inefficient.
All those high powered 200watt+ regulated devices are designed to fire exotic coils. That's why they exist.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
@DDarko419 Clapton's can have as many cores as you think you can fit in a post hole. Clamp-style attys, as I've seen in a friend's setup, tri-core clapton, core 28g, outer 36g, spaced, looked good, fired good, performed good. Was ridiculously low resistance though. Which makes me wonder whether or not the outside wraps even phase resistance that much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
@DDarko419 Clapton's can have as many cores as you think you can fit in a post hole. Clamp-style attys, as I've seen in a friend's setup, tri-core clapton, core 28g, outer 36g, spaced, looked good, fired good, performed good. Was ridiculously low resistance though. Which makes me wonder whether or not the outside wraps even phase resistance that much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The outside wire offers no resistance. The resistance comes from the cores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
The outside just holds em all together :D

And give it the look that they end up with such as the wavy look of the alien or the spaced look of the staggers fused clapton or the staggered staple coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread