Boxer Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenwhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Saint Cloud,MN.
Just checked the status of my order, and my blue Boxer clone is ready to ship! Unfortunately, one of the items in the order still has 2 days to go before it's in stock. Was surprised to see FT actually beating their forecast wait time for the Boxer.
My purple one is waiting for packaging.Very happy,as I thought I was going to have to cancel and order from 3f.Glad they aren't doing the ETA yo-yo dance on this one lol

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
My order is ready to ship from ft, except the black boxer. Says the 27th:(.
crying-peter-parker-what-do-you-mean-my-vapemail-hasnt-left-china-yet.jpg

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Thanks for the video @Ben85. It does not appear to be an expertly crafted mod but it certainly appears to be more than worth the price charged. The bottle looks especially poor, but that’s easy to fix. Everything else looks very workable.

I’m glad I went for the kit – the atty looks like it might be a somewhat decent performer.

Mine is ready to ship but is being held up by a glass bell cap a friend asked me to order for him. Nuts!

Reactions: b.m.

teyres

May 28, 2015
Received mine today. works pretty good. Bottle is a piece of crap which was to be expected, so I swapped it out with a lukkos silk.
Quick question for those more familiar with these mechanical squonk boxes, is it normal for a tiny spark to happen where the switch contact touches the metal piece directly above the feeder tube?

Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Received mine today. works pretty good. Bottle is a piece of crap which was to be expected, so I swapped it out with a lukkos silk.
Quick question for those more familiar with these mechanical squonk boxes, is it normal for a tiny spark to happen where the switch contact touches the metal piece directly above the feeder tube?

Yup, it's normal. In most mechs you can't see it, this type you can.

stephenwhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Saint Cloud,MN.
How is the fit and finish of the mod? Is the 510 adjustable? I've got two on the way,but after seeing the video and reading what someone wrote about his that it was junky,I'm getting a little worried that I just wasted $30.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
looks ok to me....in all honesty, the authentic looks just as janky. 3d printed mods for $150+ baffle me.

Me too. And injection molded parts like this can look better because there's a whole range of textures possible.

I just don't get why we don't yet see higher end plastics in molded mods. Always seems to be fairly low end stuff like ABS, when stronger and tougher resins would be only pennies more. I'd pick plastic over metal more often if that were the case.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
You think the metal bottle cap on the lukkos touching the hinge could be a potential issue? The lukkos bottle is a bit fatter than the bottle provided with the boxer

57A119FE-BFCB-478D-98DD-D4D9C9089167_zpspgtitqqw.jpg

These are positive down, right? Just make sure your battery wrap is good where the bottle cap touches the side of the battery. A bare battery could easily short across the cap.

teyres

May 28, 2015
How is the fit and finish of the mod? Is the 510 adjustable? I've got two on the way,but after seeing the video and reading what someone wrote about his that it was junky,I'm getting a little worried that I just wasted $30.

tbh yeah it feels cheap but I dont own any other plastic mods to compare it to, but the finish is nice enough. the 510 is adjustable.
the only thing suspect to me in the early stages of stuffing around with this thing is the atty sits a wee bit crooked on the 510. nothing major but theres definitely more of a gap on one side of the atty

teyres

May 28, 2015
These are positive down, right? Just make sure your battery wrap is good where the bottle cap touches the side of the battery. A bare battery could easily short across the cap.
nah its touching the switch side. posted a pic but it doesnt seem to be showing up. ill try again
57A119FE-BFCB-478D-98DD-D4D9C9089167_zpspgtitqqw.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5295.JPG
    IMG_5295.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 73

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
Me too. And injection molded parts like this can look better because there's a whole range of textures possible.

I just don't get why we don't yet see higher end plastics in molded mods. Always seems to be fairly low end stuff like ABS, when stronger and tougher resins would be only pennies more. I'd pick plastic over metal more often if that were the case.

ABS is tough enough, PC is what NASCAR windshields are made of. What is stupid is the painted PC on the Frankies. The unpainted PC and ABS frankies I have show zero signs of wear after use that scuffs up painted, plated, or even anodized metal mods. PC will wear better than stainless steel. Plastic is non-conducting, lessening the chance of a short. Plastic is light weight. Plastic rocks. Plastic can be made in any color in the spectrum. Painted plastic is just plain stupid.

So, is the Boxer painted, or colored plastic?

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
ABS is tough enough, PC is what NASCAR windshields are made of. What is stupid is the painted PC on the Frankies. The unpainted PC and ABS frankies I have show zero signs of wear after use that scuffs up painted, plated, or even anodized metal mods. PC will wear better than stainless steel. Plastic is non-conducting, lessening the chance of a short. Plastic is light weight. Plastic rocks. Plastic can be made in any color in the spectrum. Painted plastic is just plain stupid.

ABS is tough enough, but not rigid enough for a design like the Boxer. Yes, polycarbonate would be much better, molded color not painted. I agree that's idiotic.

I've been arguing for more clever plastic designs for years, yet still there are very few. o_O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread