• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

So...is this forum closed down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
If you mean all the locked threads in this subsection... that's a parameter of the forum software to auto-lock a thread after a set period of inactivity. The staff has this one set pretty short (90 days or so maybe?), but you'll see the same result in many other subsections as well.

As to "why"... this is a UK created and admin'd board, where religion is simply not a part of one's day to day life in any way like here in the US. Hence... a specific "religious vapers" section for those who do wish to discuss their faith.
It is, by default as it were... an "atheist" forum.

Keep in mind... atheism is rightly compared to "not collecting stamps". I'm a "non-stamp collector".
Outside of activism, academia or debating theological issues... there's not much to discuss. So we don't. :D
But as you see... if you create a discussion topic, and there's interest... you'll get replies. In other words... no, this section is not closed down.

------

And if you want a political debate/discussion/argument... the forum keeps that contained to what's called "The Outside".
You'll find it listed in a subsection near the top of the main page IIRC.

Be warned... it's not moderated, and complaining about getting ..... slapped is not allowed. :D
Enter at your own risk. :)

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
How about instead of an atheist forum the mods retool this as an atheist/agnostic/nonreligious forum? For lack of better terms I can be described as an agnostic atheist Buddhist of the Mahayana tradition. I can also be described as nonreligious. What do you say, mods?

This section was created for specialized social groups to discuss things related to the subforum topic and possibly vaping. Generally, things that wouldn't otherwise be permitted in the general vape related forums. The forum rules still do apply in the Social Forums.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
If you mean all the locked threads in this subsection... that's a parameter of the forum software to auto-lock a thread after a set period of inactivity. The staff has this one set pretty short (90 days or so maybe?), but you'll see the same result in many other subsections as well.

As to "why"... this is a UK created and admin'd board, where religion is simply not a part of one's day to day life in any way like here in the US. Hence... a specific "religious vapers" section for those who do wish to discuss their faith.
It is, by default as it were... an "atheist" forum.

Keep in mind... atheism is rightly compared to "not collecting stamps". I'm a "non-stamp collector".
Outside of activism, academia or debating theological issues... there's not much to discuss. So we don't. :D
But as you see... if you create a discussion topic, and there's interest... you'll get replies. In other words... no, this section is not closed down.

------

And if you want a political debate/discussion/argument... the forum keeps that contained to what's called "The Outside".
You'll find it listed in a subsection near the top of the main page IIRC.

Be warned... it's not moderated, and complaining about getting ..... slapped is not allowed. :D

Ah, OK, I did not realize that threads were automatically closed. I do have to comment that you are spot on with a few things in this post. I think it's funny that I have to use a special word to describe my lack of religious beliefs. I'm a non golfer as well as an avid non stamp collector. And I doubt that I'll complain about a poster tearing down my opinions, as attempting to destroy them is my second logical process immediately following their origin.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
To be more clear, this is my process:

1) *sploof* happens
2) I form an opinion
3) I, internally, attempt to rip that opinion to shreds
4) Failing that, I do research to see if I can find more ammo to rip that opinion to shreds
5) If I still fail to rip that opinion to shreds I present it to others, to see if they can rip it to shreds

Reactions: stols001

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
To be more clear, this is my process:

1) *sploof* happens
2) I form an opinion
3) I, internally, attempt to rip that opinion to shreds
4) Failing that, I do research to see if I can find more ammo to rip that opinion to shreds
5) If I still fail to rip that opinion to shreds I present it to others, to see if they can rip it to shreds

That would be skepticism.
Many of us skeptics are atheists, but not all. And many atheists are skeptics*.

But they're not synonymous.

* eta: to clarify... one can be an atheist and still be convinced of UFOs/ET abductions; Bigfeets; Apollo Hoax; 9/11 Inside JobbyJob; Astrology and/or the Tarot; etc.
That's not skepticism. :D

Last edited:

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
That would be skepticism.
Many of us skeptics are atheists, but not all. And many atheists are skeptics*.

But they're not synonymous.

* eta: to clarify... one can be an atheist and still be convinced of UFOs/ET abductions; Bigfeets; Apollo Hoax; 9/11 Inside JobbyJob; Astrology and/or the Tarot; etc.
That's not skepticism. :D

Yes, believe me, I'm aware of the meanings of both terms. I was responding to Jim_MDP's comment:

Reactions: stols001

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Yes, believe me, I'm aware of the meanings of both terms. I was responding to Jim_MDP's comment:

Who? :D

I get it. Without a quoted portion in your post, I was defaulting back to the thread topic re: religion/atheism.

To your actual intent... despite their beliefs to the contrary, most of The Outside's bickering discussion is not skeptical but rather endless partisan point scoring. Ie: boring. YMMV.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Who? :D

I get it. Without a quoted portion in your post, I was defaulting back to the thread topic re: religion/atheism.

To your actual intent... despite their beliefs to the contrary, most of The Outside's bickering discussion is not skeptical but rather endless partisan point scoring. Ie: boring. YMMV.

True enough. I save partisanship for sports teams or other subjects where tribalism can be a lot of fun. But it does get tiresome to start my posts with, "Ok. Assuming that the universe exists..."

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Is there a forum for those of us who don't collect stamps to discuss which stamps we're not collecting and strategies to avoid compiling a stash of stamps? Asking for a friend.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Hmmmm, shutting downthi s, but keeping the Christian vapers forum ?
I didn't realize that vaping is in the bible.

So you resurrected a year old thread to make on off handed comment that does not apply to the site at all? Nowhere does it say we're closing this group down.

Is there a forum for those of us who don't collect stamps to discuss which stamps we're not collecting and strategies to avoid compiling a stash of stamps? Asking for a friend.

There is. And fortunately, it's not on ECF either.

Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread