Is this safe/normal for a coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelui

Jul 24, 2015
Okay, so I bought a Freak Show v2 RDA that came with prebuilt coils, and an Avocado 24 RTA, and I've never built coils before. From what I read the bigger the gauge the wire, the lower the ohms will be, and same for the mm you wrap your coil around. So, I was using Clapton wire with 24 gauge inner, and 32 gauge outer on a 3.5mm coil jig. Well, first I started with 8 wraps, because I thought if it's a thicker wire the ohms will be pretty low, and more wraps will lower the ohms as well. I was shooting for 0.3ohm with a single coil for my Avocado 24. Well, it was reading out to be 0.8 ohms, so I thought, okay, I need to add more wraps. So, I did that, and it went up to 1.24 ohms with 12 wraps. At this point I was really frustrated, and I just cut new wire, and started a new coil. This time I did 4 wraps, and it was 0.46 which isn't as low as I wanted for a single coil, but it's good enough, because 3 wraps doesn't feel very stable. So, after I'm done wrapping the 4 wrap coil, I go to put it in my Avocado 24, and it's vertical! It's not horizontal like most coils. So, then I fiddled with it trying to get it to move horizontally, and it wouldn't do it. So, I gave up, checked for hotspots, put cotton in, and filled her up. Is it safe for my coil to be horizontal? Here's a photo of my coil in the Avocado 24.. please excuse all the tools, I was building coils.

2n0dco.jpg

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
1) So you've probably realized, more wraps = higher resistance. Play with steam engine, the coil wrapping & the wire wizard.
2) Are you running this on a regulated mod? If so, I would suggest not targeting a resistance. Only reason to do this would be to stay under the mod's board max voltage or max amp output (so you can have max wattage at your disposal). You would most likely want to target vapor production (wire mass/surface area) for the atty chamber size. I would guess 3.5 wraps of 24g isn't going to cut it for you in the avocado.
3) Vertical is fine, but the avocado's velocity style posts and layout are made with horizontal in mind. I would say if you are doing vertical you might want to increase your internal diameter and just snip off the top and split the bottom between the two holes. Here is a horizontal single:
b04_s.png

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
1. The longer the wire or the more wraps, the higher the resistance.

2. Most RTAs use horizontal coils.

3. Instead of going with an inner diameter of 3.5, I'd go for 2.5 or 3.0
This way you can add a wrap or two, so that the coil will fit a little bit better between the posts, so you don't have a loss due to the long leads and there's less chance to overstuff the juicechannels with cotton.

4. If you want a lower resistance, build dualcoils. That will cut the resistance in half. But make sure that you build 2 equally long coils, with the same inner diameter.
One 6wrap 24/32 clapton will be at around 0.6 ohms. With dual coils, the resistance will be cut in half, so you have your desired resistance of 0.3 ohms.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
1 length and diameter of wire determine ohm... nothing else. Not core I'd or wraps... 3" of 26awg will always equal the same ohm regardless the number of wraps or I'd wrapped on.

2. the dual holes of the velocity post facilitate a level coil when horizontal installed and equal length kegs for vert coil. It is designed for both.

3... I always start with a smaller diameter and more wraps.... via I get burn wicks I'll increase diameter and reduce wraps or go higher ohm by adding wraps or more wire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Letitia

Maelui

Jul 24, 2015
1) So you've probably realized, more wraps = higher resistance. Play with steam engine, the coil wrapping & the wire wizard.
2) Are you running this on a regulated mod? If so, I would suggest not targeting a resistance. Only reason to do this would be to stay under the mod's board max voltage or max amp output (so you can have max wattage at your disposal). You would most likely want to target vapor production (wire mass/surface area) for the atty chamber size. I would guess 3.5 wraps of 24g isn't going to cut it for you in the avocado.
3) Vertical is fine, but the avocado's velocity style posts and layout are made with horizontal in mind. I would say if you are doing vertical you might want to increase your internal diameter and just snip off the top and split the bottom between the two holes. Here is a horizontal single:
View attachment 668851

How many ohms are your getting off your single coil? I wanted to only do single coil in my Avocado 24, but I'm having trouble getting my clapton wire to reach 0.3Ω on a single coil. Right now I have two horizontal clapton coils in my Avocado 24 clocking in at 0.31Ω with both coils. Each coil is about 0.6Ω on their own. Also they are 2.5mm in diameter.

EDIT: Also, the gauge of my clapton wire is 24 gauge inner, and 32 gauge outer.

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
How many ohms are your getting off your single coil? I wanted to only do single coil in my Avocado 24, but I'm having trouble getting my clapton wire to reach 0.3Ω on a single coil. Right now I have two horizontal clapton coils in my Avocado 24 clocking in at 0.31Ω with both coils. Each coil is about 0.6Ω on their own. Also they are 2.5mm in diameter.

EDIT: Also, the gauge of my clapton wire is 24 gauge inner, and 32 gauge outer.

I think that build was 2.5 inner diameter because the amount of cotton matched the juice holes to the tank (they fit but gave space for air to get back in the tank). It was stainless steel 316l 24/30 gauge clapton 2.5mm id spaced 5.5 wrap. I don't remember the resistance, but the wire wizard says it would be 0.299 Ohms. It was spaced for temp control.

If your single coil is ~0.6 Ohms for ~6 wraps, your core wire is probably Kanthal. Are you trying to reach 0.3 Ohms for some reason? You could do something like 3 wraps, but then your also cutting the coil metal mass in half(so half the vapor production at the same heat flux) which I don't think would be ideal in the Avocado 24's larger chamber. Much of the time I go for more metal, not less.

Maelui

Jul 24, 2015
I think that build was 2.5 inner diameter because the amount of cotton matched the juice holes to the tank (they fit but gave space for air to get back in the tank). It was stainless steel 316l 24/30 gauge clapton 2.5mm id spaced 5.5 wrap. I don't remember the resistance, but the wire wizard says it would be 0.299 Ohms. It was spaced for temp control.

If your single coil is ~0.6 Ohms for ~6 wraps, your core wire is probably Kanthal. Are you trying to reach 0.3 Ohms for some reason? You could do something like 3 wraps, but then your also cutting the coil metal mass in half(so half the vapor production at the same heat flux) which I don't think would be ideal in the Avocado 24's larger chamber. Much of the time I go for more metal, not less.

Actually, my clapton wire at 2.5mm in diameter, and 7 wraps comes out to 0.6Ω for each coil. The reason I want 0.3Ω is because I feel that I get better flavour production at lower ohms. I also noticed at higher ohms, I have to draw a lot longer, and thus I'm wasting more battery life. The lower the ohms, the higher I can go in watts, and the quicker the draws are for me. I don't like taking longer hits not just for battery life drainage, but also because my lungs can't handle longer draws. I guess I'll keep making dual coils then. I don't like how unstable the coils feel at 4 wraps, so I can only imagine how 3 wraps would feel more unstable. I just want to try to conserve my clapton wire as long as possible. I got 30 feet of premade clapton wire, and I don't know how long it will last me. I hoping at least 6 months, but I'm new to building, and RDAs/RTAs, so I don't know for certain how long it will last.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm vaping at 40-45W with these two coils in my Avocado 24. On my RDA I also have dual coils, but they are clocking in at 0.28Ω with both coils in. The coils I have in my RDA are made from twisted wire, with 7 wraps, and each coil is 3.0mm in diameter. I'm just using the stock coils that came with my RDA right now. I plan to make my own coils from plain 24 gauge A1 kanthal wire once the stock coils that came with the RDA bite the dust. Since the Avocado 24 didn't come with stock coils, I had to make my own with clapton wire, but I intentionally bought the clapton to be used solely in my Avocado.

Last edited:

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
So I think your attributing properties to Ohms that only really sometimes work out for you. It's because they are not really a function of the Ohms. Just because the Ohms are lower does not mean you use higher Wattage. It's actually the exact opposite if you are using the same wire(type, gauge, and number of). example:
ss316l 24g 3mm id - 9 wraps at 0.44 Ohms would need 39 Watts (to get a heat flux of 200mW/mm^2)
ss316l 24g 3mm id - 5 wraps at 0.25 Ohms would need 22 Watts (to get a heat flux of 200mW/mm^2)
I would guess the better flavor is not because of the lower Ohms, it's because your cranking the wattage. You should try building to a target heat flux; modifying your build for a desired vapor production to accommodate for your airflow / atty chamber size. The beauty of being on a regulated mod is the Ohms don't really matter (they do in some cases, but I wouldn't worry about that until you run into it). Practice/play with your kanthal wire, it's nice and cheap.

Njsm

May 9, 2017
Alberta, canada
I like your laid back attitude on coil building.

Who cares about ohms. Is it the right size/diameter for the device? Is the airflow cooling the coil properly? Are the coils too close to the chamber and conducting too much heat to the rest of the structure? A properly built and mounted coil (tailored to your device) will work better at lower wattages 90% of the time.

Some of my best builds ohm out around .4 or .5. Alot of metal in most cases.

If you want to ohm out lower....buy thicker wire. 24 gauge kanthal will likely do the job you want.

+1 to the previous poster. Use steam engine if you have a target resistace.

papoes

Feb 25, 2017
View attachment 668851

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread