1 Mile High

westhc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
WOA! You're A Hippie!

Never wore flowers in my hair. Moved to SF in 1971. Moved to Ashbury St. in 1973 I think.
Neighborhood transitions. By then where I lived was and still is called Ashbury Heights - walk 2 (somewhat long) blocks uphill from the corner Haight/Ashbury which is considered part of the Haight neighborhood.

During its heyday, which culminated in 1967’s infamous Summer of Love, young dreamers converged in the Haight by the thousands. Historians deem the neighborhood the birthplace of the hippie movement, marked by peaceful protests and psychedelic experimentation. The era’s greatest luminaries, from Jerry Garcia to Allen Ginsberg to Jimi Hendrix, all lived nearby.

Then the movement waned, and the area began to decay along with it. “By the fall of 1967, Haight-Ashbury was nearly abandoned, trashed, and laden with drugs and homeless people,” blogger Jon Newman wrote in his essay Death of the Hippie Subculture. “With the Haight in ruins and most of its residents gone, it was simply unable to operate as a hub for music, poetry and art.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread