so just a quick question about chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihrmaniac97

Jul 9, 2017
Is it new and did you check the scratch code on the box for genuine with warranty?
literally just emailed support and am registered for warranty. if they approve it i'm going to send this one in and get it replaced, but either way i'm going to buy another charger that isn't nitecore. heard there's better brands to get.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

ihrmaniac97

Jul 9, 2017
Google Search shows many complaints of noisy I2 chargers.

nitecore i2 making noise - Google Search
yeah, and i've seen multiple posts about a smell of burning plastic. still gonna get a warranty claim but if the next ones bad i'm not even going to bother with nitecore anymore. Also, i know this is off the topic i posted about, but, hard decision for me, getting a new mod tomorrow to go along with a sense blazer pro. sigelei kaos or ijoy captain?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Typically the buzzing is from a transformer, the piece that converts your AC (wall) voltage down to DC voltage. This is a general observation and not about any particular device/charger. I personally do not like the bay chargers that are available, i've been using a hobby style charger for years without issue.

You beat me to it, Nevin. Hysterisis popped into my mind when I read the OP. Loose windings or other parts in the transformer can cause the buzzing. While it's a common fault it may or may not be a dangerous fault.

We hear buzzing on telephone poles with transformers, buzzing and vibrating in AC relays, and AC noise in radios and TVs. It's annoying, but not necessarily dangerous. It's a symptom of poor potting in transformer circuits. The coils should be dipped in shellac or silicone to reduce noise from vibration.

Still, ihrmaniac97 should probably ask for an exchange or refund. It's an annoying defect.

Last edited:

ihrmaniac97

Jul 9, 2017
You beat me to it, Nevin. Hysterisis popped into my mind when I read the OP. Loose windings or other parts in the transformer can cause the buzzing. While it's a common fault it may or may not be a dangerous fault.

We hear buzzing on telephone poles with transformers, buzzing and vibrating in AC relays, and AC noise in radios and TVs. It's annoying, but not necessarily dangerous. It's a symptom of poor potting in transformer circuits. The coils should be dipped in shellac or silicone to reduce noise from vibration.

Still, ihrmaniac97 should probably ask for an exchange or refund. It's an annoying defect.
i tested my 20700s that came with my ijoy captain and they charged just fine, no bad smell. seems to just be my samsung green wrapped ones. not worried about the buzzing, its only if i'm an inch or a few away from it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
i tested my 20700s that came with my ijoy captain and they charged just fine, no bad smell. seems to just be my samsung green wrapped ones. not worried about the buzzing, its only if i'm an inch or a few away from it.

If it's still in warranty or the 30 day return from the seller, I'd email them and ask for a replacement. None of my Xtar, Nitecore, or Efest chargers make any noise at all. They are totally silent.

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread