What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That means the paint is soon to follow. You got all the trim taken care of then? How'd you make out with the stabilizer?

I took an 3-4 hour ride out to near where we picked up the van for the fellow with brain cancer to pick up a drone. A fellow had one for sale that sells for close to $400 that I picked up for $75. It's not a fun flying drone, more of a selfie or video drone although it's going to take me some time to figure it out. It's smaller than my cell phone with the arms folded in and the whole package fits easily in any of my bikes, which is why I bought it.

It's a little easier to maneuver around the trees here. I shot it up above the house tonight and looked around a bit, but I need to get it out in some open spaces until I have a bit more confidence. If I get it stuck in a tree 50 feet off the ground, it will become an ornament. This video is not good but it gives some idea how the woods continues to try to replace me.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsbpMJDHKBmDgrwAyRVrl5fMQ2QvKA

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Nice video. You are surrounded.

The stabilizer worked well but I left the seams on the right side that are high and hard to get to for the painters to do. I have plenty of boards left for them to use. We are getting rain right now but they said depending on the rain that they might start painting Friday. He offered me $100 discount if I paid cash so I'm definitely taking advantage of that.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I don't blame you. High and hard to get to is best left to people used to working on latters and that isn't necessarily safe. The first house I bought had a twin which I rented out and a carriage house that we lived in until I bought a single in the country. I kept the first property as a rental.

The carriage house had a covered concrete porch, the length of the building and about 15/20 foot wide. We came home from visiting friends for almost a week and the answering machine was loaded with calls from the tenant and borough. The anchors holding the roof to the brick gave way and the roof crashed to the concrete. The woman told me her kids had been playing on the porch no more than a half hour earlier. That was the closest I ever came to being front page news. It turns out someone had stored a bunch of wood in the rafters via a cutout that I never bothered to look in. I'm sure that and the fact that the brick was what they call salmon brick which had a habit of deteriorating.

Anyway, I digress. The fellow I hired to rebuild it fixed it so it would stay and didn't build access this time around. The week after he finished he was doing a high job of some sort, lost his balance and broke his neck. He was only in his late 20s. I know when I bought this place I did some stupid stuff but I took a lot of precaution in case I slipped. Getting that pipe stack stained was probably the hairiest. I knew once I finished it, I'd never do it again.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I don't remember if I told you before but when I was 30 I had a ladder slip out from under me and grabbed onto the shingles to try to pull myself up. Well the ladder hit the ground and I fell with my left foot landing on one of the rungs. I had a bad blow out fracture and was on crutches and then in a walking boot for six months. I never put up Xmas lights again any higher than I could reach with a step ladder.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    At the time all I had was a 28' extension ladder and had it on too much of an angle on the front above our garage and it slid down the front of the house leaving me hanging from the shingles. It hit the ground and then I fell. Several years ago I bought one of the werner folding ladders that you can use as a short extension ladder or as an adjustable step ladder. It has really come in handy.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    That's good news, I only wish they'd have moved the date though. That being said, it doesn't appear there has been a slow down in development of new technologies. I didn't know they were planning on playing with the nicotine levels in cigarettes. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." I guess those making the rules weren't around for the last time they encouraged reducing nic content.

I think I need to get rid of the drones, pictures is worth a 1,000 words.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    No, I missed it, screw em, lol. All it was, was a shot of my bald head. The years of throwing a helmet on quickly advanced the hair loss which only bothers me now because I have to think about putting some cover on it if I'm going to be out in the sun very long.

I took a friend for a long ride a couple weeks ago without a helmet and, when we got back, either her or her son talked about whether I was worried about getting sunburned. I said nah, I just tan. That night my head did feel a little hot but it browned up pretty good. Unfortunately a week or so later it started peeling off. You're never too old to learn something new.

Reactions: hittman

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    What a day! I left the house a bit before 9 on a couple hundred mile jaunt to check two wheelchair lifts. However, before I left, there was a call from the daughter in law of my live in from jail in Washington State and she didn't know what happened to her son or the four girls. Needless to say, the emotions were flying until he called back from their house after her call. Now it was about 4:30 in the morning out there and it was haed to understand what exactly happened but her fate should be known in the next hour. My opinion, she needs some psychiatric help, but what do I know. Bipolar comes to mind right now or symptoms brought on by the drugs her doc put her on a few weeks ago.

On the way back from my eight or so hours I stopped for a couple drinks and some food. I also called her other soon to be ex son-in-law, to find out what was said in a convo that the pycho gal had with her former, soon to be, ex-BIL. If you can follow all this you're better than I.

All I know is that I'm getting quite an education on the messed up lives her kids are living. Something was wrong with my family. My parents were together their entire adult lives and me and my sister get along great.

Anyway, I think I found a lift that will work for her nephew who has brain cancer. A construction guy came up with a $7,500+ ramp that would be 30' long with a 5x5 deck off their back door to another 5x5 deck in their back yard right angling to another 18' of ramp, the another 5x5 deck to get him to their back parking. All by Fed code for commercial usage and demanded by the borough.

I've got a better idea. We build a plarform 5x5 or 6x6 that we put on their 12' deep porch and put the wheelchair lift on a 4x4 slab next to the porch. We'll have to dig and pour a cement walk from the front of the house to the back but that's just physical labor and the cost of cement because her sister's ex says he can do it. The town isn't going to like it, but I'm ready for a newspaper war over it, using a dying, nearly 40 year old with an Asian wife and three kids as the weapons. It's going to get interesting.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    What a crazy mixed up mess you have going on there Roth.

My painter called today and they are coming to put up the trim boards tomorrow that I didn't want to do. Not sure how much extra it's going to cost but it'll be worth it.

Reactions: rothenbj

Users who are viewing this thread