How is vaping in public recieved in your country/area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm in AZ too, heh, the laws around here are interesting. Technically, it's vape anywhere, though of course I imagine that will change, given time. TECHNICALLY vaping is exempted from any tobacco laws. Truly, I could walk into a crowded theater and vape, openly. (I wouldn't) I wouldn't because folks here in Tucson (including the local law enforcement) seem to think the laws vary WILDLY depending on their personalities and what kind of day they are having, so it's just... Not a good idea. The homeless are allowed to live in the "parks" and they smoke cigarettes there all the time not to mention everything else, but it's good to know that "technically" I can vape in AZ's parks, too. Only EXCEPT in the process of mentioning that to whatever officer is having a bad day, I'd probably wind up with an "resisting arrest" charge, and they'd drop the vape one, but then I'd have to deal with being unruly and paying my lawyer tons of money or using a public defender and neither option appeals. :) Maybe as I age I am growing more law abiding, it's just hard to do when the laws "in play" vary wildly from situation to situation.

Le Sigh. At least I can manage my life without "vapeeverywhere" really, I can stop vaping and put it away....

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Conversely I did run into this yesterday. I just got a new apartment. I went to see it and I was walking around. Vaping. Nodding. Gets to signing the application. I get to the bottom of the page and there is a disclaimer that is in 10% grey 5pt font at the bottom of the page

This is a smoke free / vape free community
There would be no "social uncertainty" for me.

"Aw shucks, you should told me that earlier, 'cause then I wouldn't have wasted your time or mine. Good Bye!"

Brad888

Jul 28, 2017
Texas
I never had anyone say anything but people tell me I look scary. I'm not, but I guess people judge books by their covers.

Not the last time I was on a plane, but the time before I was vaping and didn't realize it wasn't allowed. Nobody said anything to me about it. The ability to get my nic fix on the plane sure made flying suck a little less.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I tend to vape pretty much when/where I want. It annoys my woman when I do it in the store because, she says, she doesn't want to get thrown out. Me pointing out it would be me who got thrown out, not her, and that I'd prefer not to spend my hard-earned money in a store that won't let me vape-- both obviously true-- does not seem to affect her certainty any. Or her annoyance level.

Reactions: stols001

AkiraFZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
I am from Japan. Not many people are vaping here in Japan but I start to find some vapers at smoking areas in Tokyo. Vape is treated in Japan, I think, as same as smoking cigarettes because vaper and smoke look the same from non-smokers or smokers. So we vape at designated smoking areas even though we think they are different.

As I don't travel outside of Japan so often, I would like to know how vape or vapers are treated in other countries. Is the vaping allowed at the non-smoking areas? Are there different rules applied for vaping and smoking?

Please let me know if this thread is irrelevant for this forum.

Last edited:

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Besides the stupid TPD restrictions that have been put in place vaping is very tolerable in my town, in fact most pubs let you vape which is a must for me as I chain vape when I'm drinking!
There's none of the rules like not vaping in parks, you can vape pretty much most places except for buses & places like hospitals.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
In Ontario Canada vaping is considered a healthier alternative to smoking by the government but still considered smoking to most. The Ontario government actually set up dedicated "vaping areas" at a few govt buildings which I thought was cool. Vaping indoors is pretty much a big no no.

Nicotine eLiquid is illegal but never inforced/policed except importation via mail. There are vape stores everywhere.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man, I'm in the USA so I have no idea at this point how vaping is treated. Also, laws vary state to state. Technically I can "vapeanywhere" but I don't. My job was tolerant if I didn't blow clouds (this was a reservation) so things were a bit different, though HR informed me it was a writeupable crime. I can't imagine any of my coworkers turning me in, they wanted me to quit smoking.... In AZ, vape does not fall under any local laws, though private businesses can do what they want.

Anna

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Is there any problem getting vape gear and juice in Japan? Some countries have nasty limitations on allowing vape gear at all that make staying in the smoking area the least of your headaches.

Believe for the most part, vaping is pretty lax in Japan like most US/EU regions, just the vaper has to be considerate of others and the laws of the country of where you can and can not vape. The one limitation I do know of with Japan is in regards to liquid imports from out of country, think it is like a 100ml or 120ml limit per shipment and/or month, would have to have some like @Spencer or another person that lives in Japan to clarify it in more detail

Personally OT, like @stols001 I'm in AZ of the US, pretty lax, some restaurants and other businesses are throwing up No Smoking/No Vaping combo signs, no vaping in Gov't facilities, after that it is dependent on the small business owner. Though watch out for the Tempe, Mesa, and Chandler tri-city region, have heard stories of especially in Tempe they can ticket you for vaping while walking down the side-walk, they have some pretty Nazi/Draconian regulations over there, vaping shop businesses have to register as a tobacco vendor and get a city tobacco vendor license to operate there.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Personally OT, like @stols001 I'm in AZ of the US, pretty lax, some restaurants and other businesses are throwing up No Smoking/No Vaping combo signs, no vaping in Gov't facilities, after that it is dependent on the small business owner. Though watch out for the Tempe, Mesa, and Chandler tri-city region, have heard stories of especially in Tempe they can ticket you for vaping while walking down the side-walk, they have some pretty Nazi/Draconian regulations over there, vaping shop businesses have to register as a tobacco vendor and get a city tobacco vendor license to operate there.

Ticketing for smoking on a public sidewalk??? Can they ticket you for smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk?

Reactions: AkiraFZ

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think attitudes towards vaping in the US have been trending negative because of a smear campaign by the people who benefit from tobacco taxes but that might change now that the FDA says they intend to keep vaping around so smokers have an alternative when nicotine is removed from cigarettes.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Ticketing for smoking on a public sidewalk??? Can they ticket you for smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk?

It's happened, as I said, its basically the east side of the Metro Phoenix Area, especially Tempe, you should see some of the goofy laws they have in the books in that part of town. Basically the first I heard of it was back during the mech/sub-ohm boom, and a lot of things to do with ASU's main campuses there. It's probably the most Nanny area of Phoenix, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread