Issues with tfv12 v12-Q4 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueguy

Apr 20, 2017
I bought a box of these coils after the ones that came on the box burned out. Every single one I've gotten since then taste burned in about 4 days. I'm not new to vaping I know I'm priming it right, and firing it on the right settings. I even popped them out to look at them and found the cotton doesn't look burned. So anyone have any ideas?

• Optimistic
Reactions: 393stroker

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
There are a whole buncha reasons one might get a burnt taste.
Without knowing the details of what you're using any answers would be 30 different guesses.

Power device, power range used, mode?
Airflow setting?
Eliquid used, pg/vg ratio, colored/dark or clear, sweet, nic mg/ml?
How are you priming the heads? a few drops or thoroughly saturating the wicking material?
Starting a new head off at a lower power & gradually working your way up, or, zapping them with the power you were using with the previous head?
Are you using the power range printed on the head as guide or using you're own sense of taste to find appropriate power level?
All o rings & seals in place & undamaged?
Is there an old o ring stuck in the base?
Did you dump the eliquid in the tank before replacing the head(s) that gave a burnt taste?

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I bought a box of these coils after the ones that came on the box burned out. Every single one I've gotten since then taste burned in about 4 days. I'm not new to vaping I know I'm priming it right, and firing it on the right settings. I even popped them out to look at them and found the cotton doesn't look burned. So anyone have any ideas?
Welcome and glad you joined. Might be time to look into RBA = Rebuildable Atomizers. 4 days on a premade coil is not unheard of for sub-ohm'g.
Could check out:
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
What is an Atomizer? E-Cig Terminology Simplified
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners

Reactions: stols001

Heavy10mm

Aug 10, 2017
If you are paying $10 for Baby Beast coils I suggest you find a new supplier because I pay around $3 each for authentic OEM coils.
Why you want to make me feel bad, man . I order them online now, but that's the standard price in shops in my area. I didn't have time to wait for a delivery, so I didn't really have a choice.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Why you want to make me feel bad, man . I order them online now, but that's the standard price in shops in my area. I didn't have time to wait for a delivery, so I didn't really have a choice.

Not trying to make you feel bad trying to help you because almost 4 times the price is overcharging. I support my Local B&M's but not ones who overcharge like that.

Heavy10mm

Aug 10, 2017
Not trying to make you feel bad trying to help you because almost 4 times the price is overcharging. I support my Local B&M's but not ones who overcharge like that.
I know. I was just kidding lol. $3/coil would be great though. I think I'm getting them for like $6 now, and I'm never sure they're authentic.

I do appreciate the help though. I was just kidding, but that doesn't always come across in text. Thanks man

Reactions: SteveS45

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I know. I was just kidding lol. $3/coil would be great though. I think I'm getting them for like $6 now, and I'm never sure they're authentic.

I do appreciate the help though. I was just kidding, but that doesn't always come across in text. Thanks man

Made me feel bad when I was only trying to help. :blink:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes. Build when you are ready. Right now I'd focus on getting your setup working right for you. You can always start reading/looking now though, learning how to build and run a coil will probably help you isolate what is going on with your coils, it could certainly be bad coils/batches, but it could also be user error.

That said, on max VG with the wrong kind of juice, I can kill off a coil in about 4 days.

You know you *might* be able to reuse your coils more than once right? Some people are having success boiling them for about 20 mins, then drying very well, I use very hot tap water (but I have a crazy water filtration system) and leave my coils sit/soak for 12 hrs, then rinse/clean and set outside to dry for 12 hours... I can use them at least twice that way, sometimes 3 times... Coil life may decrease as you go.

Many folks say use distilled water, and that's often a good idea, I would've used it except we have a CRAYZEE water filtration system under the house with like 9 filters the Engineering husband rigged up.... This part of Tucson has HORRIBLE water.

That might help offset your coil cost until you get to rebuildables.

Best of luck, :)

Anna

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016

So when you pulled the coils to look at them did you actually pull it apart or just look down the holes? Singing on the cotton can hide underneath the coiled wires. If that's the case you may be a bit high on your power setting and it is only causing a problem with an extra long draw or after 4 days your cotton is becoming less efficient. Either way there is too little juice and the cotton gets burned.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
A suggestion to extend coil life is something I do often which is keep drawing when you let off the power button which helps cool the coil and draws liquid into the coil like a fresh prime for the next hit. I do this especially with a new coil on my Pico with the Melo III Mini which has a tendency to vapor lock and I need to loosen the top to let air in until the coil is broken in well.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread