1st build, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

john1211

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Troy, NY
:) hello John - {lets do this}
here's all of what you will need for a successful attempt at making your own coils
looks overwhelming at first, but it is all simple stuff and easy to use - not sure where you are ABOUT SPENDING BUT
it would be the best to get all this at once from same vendor to get started (MVS is a great outfit) :) total is about $43 bucks

- The Essentials for Rebuilding Coils, Wick, Cotton, Wire & Tools

here's a great site to calc what you want to build (have you heard of them?)
- Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

as you get more skilled I'd suggest to take your game to the next level by improving your gear
get 100% Rayon from Sally's // then USA made wire from TEMCo

- Amazon.com : Graham Cellucotton Beauty Coil 100% Rayon Fibers 40 ft #44130 : Beauty
- TEMCo Stainless Steel Wire 316L Non-Resistance AWG TEMCo Industrial

View attachment 671653

BE SURE to keep us informed of your progress & be sure to ask if ya need to :D:p:)

:evil:
wow, great info, thanks

Reactions: pufZeppelin

john1211

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Troy, NY
:) hello John - {lets do this}
here's all of what you will need for a successful attempt at making your own coils
looks overwhelming at first, but it is all simple stuff and easy to use - not sure where you are ABOUT SPENDING BUT
it would be the best to get all this at once from same vendor to get started (MVS is a great outfit) :) total is about $43 bucks

- The Essentials for Rebuilding Coils, Wick, Cotton, Wire & Tools

here's a great site to calc what you want to build (have you heard of them?)
- Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

as you get more skilled I'd suggest to take your game to the next level by improving your gear
get 100% Rayon from Sally's // then USA made wire from TEMCo

- Amazon.com : Graham Cellucotton Beauty Coil 100% Rayon Fibers 40 ft #44130 : Beauty
- TEMCo Stainless Steel Wire 316L Non-Resistance AWG TEMCo Industrial

View attachment 671653

BE SURE to keep us informed of your progress & be sure to ask if ya need to :D:p:)

:evil:
i ordered the stuff from mvs but they only had 28 awg ss. how will this effect the steamengine profile that you sent based on 30 awg ss?

thanks

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
i ordered the stuff from mvs but they only had 28 awg ss.
how will this effect the steamengine profile that you sent based on 30 awg ss?
thanks

GREAT ! I'm excited for ya :toast:

just play around and don't get too worried about building - best thing is just keep doing it over & over & over & over & over & over & over

did you get the mini TAB 521 (ohm reader) it needs an 18650 battery, that will be your building friend :)

I just staged that steam engine as an example - it is a calculator, you put your values into it and see what comes up
keep doing that till you find a happy solution, then try and build it (probably be very close, but not exact)
I made another:
upload_2017-7-19_13-2-39.png

just make some coils and try your luck at installing them
try a 7 wrap, then maybe an 8 wrap etc.
after you get better at evaluating the coils you make, you can try 2.5mm rod 5,6,7,8 wraps
longer wires make wrapping easier, so don't try and save wire AT FIRST, then later you can get thrifty and skimp ;)
if you don't have a good set of small wire cutters, fingernail clippers work great
make sure your screws are tight enuff, and check them AFTER you have heated the coil several times...
my guess is you might want to shoot for right around 1.0Ω mark (1.2Ω -.75Ω)
but the sky is the limit, make what ever you feel you want

good luck, keep us in the loop :headbang:

- Precision Mini CVS Diagonal Coil Cutters from Youde UD

john1211

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Troy, NY
GREAT ! I'm excited for ya :toast:

just play around and don't get too worried about building - best thing is just keep doing it over & over & over & over & over & over & over

did you get the mini TAB 521 (ohm reader) it needs an 18650 battery, that will be your building friend :)

I just staged that steam engine as an example - it is a calculator, you put your values into it and see what comes up
keep doing that till you find a happy solution, then try and build it (probably be very close, but not exact)
I made another:
View attachment 673119

just make some coils and try your luck at installing them
try a 7 wrap, then maybe an 8 wrap etc.
after you get better at evaluating the coils you make, you can try 2.5mm rod 5,6,7,8 wraps
longer wires make wrapping easier, so don't try and save wire AT FIRST, then later you can get thrifty and skimp ;)
if you don't have a good set of small wire cutters, fingernail clippers work great
make sure your screws are tight enuff, and check them AFTER you have heated the coil several times...
my guess is you might want to shoot for right around 1.0Ω mark (1.2Ω -.75Ω)
but the sky is the limit, make what ever you feel you want

good luck, keep us in the loop :headbang:

- Precision Mini CVS Diagonal Coil Cutters from Youde UD
Thanks again for your help, this is great info.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I practice wrapped and played around with steam engine (and asked lots of questions) prior to my first build. I have that mini ohms reader and it works really well, including (for me) being a stable base (I don't leave it on, in fact, I don't even put a battery in it) to screw my coil(s) down onto the deck, just holding the deck in my other hand was... Well, I'm a bit clumsy and having it sitting affixed to something that doesn't move was helpful. Then it's nice to have the security of knowing what my ohms are before firing up the deck on my mod.

To be fair, my first successful coil was with some pretty heavy lifting by both this forum and my husband, I learned a LOT during the process, one such item learned was that I wanted a BIGGER single post RTA and my husband out of town so I can't get his "help" very easily. :) But, after my first attempt, I think I will probably do fine (I kind of inadvertently chose a very difficult RTA, but it worked out great!) In the end!

I hope it works well for you, but I pretty much guarantee that if you run into difficulties, someone will have the answer for you, which is so awesome:)

I'm not on a mad fixation to go recoiling every tank I have, (yet), I was just thrilled to get an RTA up and working, and learning more about this coil stuff, etc.

Best of luck.

Anna

john1211

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Troy, NY
I practice wrapped and played around with steam engine (and asked lots of questions) prior to my first build. I have that mini ohms reader and it works really well, including (for me) being a stable base (I don't leave it on, in fact, I don't even put a battery in it) to screw my coil(s) down onto the deck, just holding the deck in my other hand was... Well, I'm a bit clumsy and having it sitting affixed to something that doesn't move was helpful. Then it's nice to have the security of knowing what my ohms are before firing up the deck on my mod.

To be fair, my first successful coil was with some pretty heavy lifting by both this forum and my husband, I learned a LOT during the process, one such item learned was that I wanted a BIGGER single post RTA and my husband out of town so I can't get his "help" very easily. :) But, after my first attempt, I think I will probably do fine (I kind of inadvertently chose a very difficult RTA, but it worked out great!) In the end!

I hope it works well for you, but I pretty much guarantee that if you run into difficulties, someone will have the answer for you, which is so awesome:)

I'm not on a mad fixation to go recoiling every tank I have, (yet), I was just thrilled to get an RTA up and working, and learning more about this coil stuff, etc.

Best of luck.

Anna
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread