What wire to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
It depends on what kind of power you want to run through the coils, and how hot (or cool) of a vape you like- there would be a big difference between say a dual coil build at 0.4 Ohms made with 22 Gauge wire vs the same resistance but made with 26 Gauge due to the surface area and mass.

The 22 Gauge will need more power to provide the same warmth as the smaller gauge.

Also, are big clouds something you are after? If that is the case, a larger gauge will generally be used as it will provide more vapour with the increased surface area.

This is assuming you are using a regulated mod and can adjust power though. A little more info and we can help a bit more. A favourite of mine is 26G though, recently SS316L which has caused my builds to be of a lower resistance to when I used Kanthal of the same gauge.

Reactions: stols001

lovevape88

Jul 27, 2017
It depends on what kind of power you want to run through the coils, and how hot (or cool) of a vape you like- there would be a big difference between say a dual coil build at 0.4 Ohms made with 22 Gauge wire vs the same resistance but made with 26 Gauge due to the surface area and mass.

The 22 Gauge will need more power to provide the same warmth as the smaller gauge.

Also, are big clouds something you are after? If that is the case, a larger gauge will generally be used as it will provide more vapour with the increased surface area.

This is assuming you are using a regulated mod and can adjust power though. A little more info and we can help a bit more. A favourite of mine is 26G though, recently SS316L which has caused my builds to be of a lower resistance to when I used Kanthal of the same gauge.

Thank you for the info, i am using a regulated mod and prefeer to fire at 50 to 60 w. I want a blend og flavour and clouds but flavour are more important than clouds to me :)

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
Thank you for the info, i am using a regulated mod and prefeer to fire at 50 to 60 w. I want a blend og flavour and clouds but flavour are more important than clouds to me :)

Ok, for that some 26G SS316L would work nicely, which is what I like to work with the most. I enjoy vaping at different power levels, but it will be fine for 50-60W at around 0.3 dual coil.

Depending how warm you like your vape you can add or reduce wraps, adding will increase resistance while taking them away will reduce it, which may take you under 0.3 if you like a really cool vape.

I do use the Wotofo Lush myself with this wire, and this is a good tool for building Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

lovevape88

Jul 27, 2017
Ok, for that some 26G SS316L would work nicely, which is what I like to work with the most. I enjoy vaping at different power levels, but it will be fine for 50-60W at around 0.3 dual coil.

Depending how warm you like your vape you can add or reduce wraps, adding will increase resistance while taking them away will reduce it, which may take you under 0.3 if you like a really cool vape.

I do use the Wotofo Lush myself with this wire, and this is a good tool for building Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Thank you so mutch. Only issue i have is that my atty is 22mm so cant have large coils or to lang wraps. I like the vapour medium not to hot :)

The one i liked the most is some prebuilt twisted wire i got from a friend. He dont know what it is since it was leftover from a long time ago.

Is this the one: $2.06 Authentic UD 316L Stainless Steel Resistance Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers - 26 AWG / 0.4mm*10m / 11.3ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

lovevape88

Jul 27, 2017

Thanks :) a friend og mine brought med six of these: $7.30 Authentic Wotofo Parallel FeCrAl Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (25-Pack) - 2*24/28 AWG / 2*0.5mm/0.32mm dia. / 0.55±0.05ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They will last me a month. If its not to mutch to ask can you send me a link to correct wires on fasttech?

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thanks :) a friend og mine brought med six of these: $7.30 Authentic Wotofo Parallel FeCrAl Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (25-Pack) - 2*24/28 AWG / 2*0.5mm/0.32mm dia. / 0.55±0.05ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They will last me a month. If its not to mutch to ask can you send me a link to correct wires on fasttech?

Those are basically Kanthal. So they're basically 24g / 28g fused claptons (two cores in parallel).

Ni80 or SS cores will heat up much quicker, and a SS wrap wire for many produces a crisper taste.

However, the resistance is often lower.

That's a pretty thick wrap being 28g, imo, but should be more durable. It may have a slower ramp-up time. Some people feel thinner wraps produce better flavor, but for me it comes down to how many cores & how wide the wire is.

The thinner the core wires, the faster they heat up. As you approach 28-30g cores, your coils heat even faster.

Stainless fused claptons

& if you don't really know what kind of wire you like, look for a sampler pack

another here
Whatever you're building for, use a tester to build on. Get one of these to hold the coil in place & keep it from bending when you tighten the leads. I'd recommend good, strong flush cutters of some sort to snip the ends off, but please make sure to use eye protection when snipping coil leads (half because of the piece of wire coming off, and half because the blades of even high-quality flush cutters sometimes break off)

Some ceramic-tipped tweezers may also be useful for working out any hot-spots that might be in the coils, or some of the coil master ceramic sticks for springy wires.

If you decide you want to go the stainless steel route, AVS has some really clean SS wire to choose from and has some pretty good instructions for getting them firing evenly. With Fasttech coils, (and reportedly also a lot of their wire) you probably want to clean them because they're often a bit dirty.

EDIT: If you haven't got an ultrasonic cleaner, sticking them in a cup of some hot, soapy water for a little while, then rinsing well should get a fair amount of oil & dirt off.

I use TEMCO wire bought directly from their website with free shipping, it's pretty clean stuff but does need a light dry burn & rinse before use. They also carry SS wire. Seems like the page for their SS isn't working, so I'd try Amazon.

Last edited:
  • Informative

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Hi guys. I want to wrap my own coils but dont know what kind of wire to buy. I am vaping on a wotofo lush 22mm and prefeer 0,3-0,5 ohms dual coils. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
I have the same RBA.

I just did a build with 10 wraps of SS 24awg around a 3.5 mm center. Since I realized wicking might be a problem, I split the coil.

I also made sure each coil was right over the air holes on the bottom (as you know, the Lush has no air holes on its sides).

Then I wicked it so that the air was directed at the coils. I closed off the air holes on the other side and filled that juice well with cotton.

This single coil build makes nice clouds and has great flavor. It only needs about 38 watts, too.
5e21dc7175d53bf5f4d267cbf868963d.jpg
c3406c7eb0f1373e28ed3d9eb8dc9695.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread