Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Regarding seepage from air vents, if you check my earlier posts you'll see I've been struggling with this issue for some time. So many possible causes, it's hard to pin down.

I have 3 K5s. I've replaced every o-ring, including the big ones at top & bottom of tank body, and modified my wicking. 2 of my 3 K5s are now virtually free of any seepage from air vents (and yes, it's seepage, NOT condensation) yet one of them still seeps no matter what I do.

I think there may be some validity to keeping the wick away from the air hole, but the "add more cotton" theory has proven to be B.S. Big, fat juicy wicks are actually more likely to seep. Quorax has a video showing how he wicks his K5s, which is the model I use now.

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2014
Northern Ireland
The stir about a new Euro K5 seems to have died on the vine.
Still no movement on it, Bronze. I'm watching Facebook closely each day waiting on the news breaking. Something must be up. Flo said back at end of June/start of July that they were just awaiting the packaging. That, to me, implied that the Kayfuns were made and ready to go. Can't quite understand what the hold up is.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Try and keep the wick tails as far away from the airhole as possible.

Deep cleaning it has always worked for me, and remember to use a little more cotton than you think is necessary

I definitely needed a good cleaning, took the whole thing apart - cleaning was necessary. Also, there was a little too much wick too close to the edges. It seems to be leak free now.
I am looking forward to going through this thread, lot a smart people on here.

Many thanks

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It seems to be
Famous last words.

I definitely needed a good cleaning, took the whole thing apart - cleaning was necessary. Also, there was a little too much wick too close to the edges. It seems to be leak free now.

Many thanks
Not sure what you mean by "cleaning", but just a routine rinse & blow & dry before wicking obviously clears out the air vents, preventing the leaking/seeping, at least temporarily. But in my case, after a day or two it would start again. Something I've done with two of mine seems to have cured them. I recently re-wicked them because after 4-7 (depending on usage) days it was time, but not because they were seeping. Wish I could tell you what "the cure" was, but it could have been any one (or combination) of 6 different o-rings or just a different way of wicking.

Check out this video of @qorax wicking a K5. I don't use twisted, spaced coils, as he does, but check out 1.27 where he tucks the ends into the wells using his tweezers. This is the method I'm now using. Also, I'm using narrower strips of cotton, about 1/4".

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2014
Northern Ireland

Many thanks
I find keeping the coil quite high (at the same height as the screws) helps to prevent leaking. Everybody is different, but in my experience with the Kayfun 5, making sure there is enough cotton to fill the pockets, prevents leaking. Of course, you don't want it stuffed in completely, but I find if it is too thin and not substantial enough, juice will gush out the air inlets. And as several have mentioned already, try to keep the cotton away from that central air hole. It should broadly resemble a number seven shape.

Juice control should be open 1 full turn if using 50/50 liquid. More if the liquid is thicker.

Keep those deck o rings well lubed and make sure the 510 pin at the bottom is tightened all the way in.

Everybody might tell you different but I can run my Kayfun 5 as I have just described without issue. And even keep it laying on its side in my pocket while sitting down for a long period of time without any leaking.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I took the whole thing apart, soaked it in a Dawn solution, that was was my cleaning. I will be looking at the video.
Thank you.

Famous last words.

Not sure what you mean by "cleaning", but just a routine rinse & blow & dry before wicking obviously clears out the air vents, preventing the leaking/seeping, at least temporarily. But in my case, after a day or two it would start again. Something I've done with two of mine seems to have cured them. I recently re-wicked them because after 4-7 (depending on usage) days it was time, but not because they were seeping. Wish I could tell you what "the cure" was, but it could have been any one (or combination) of 6 different o-rings or just a different way of wicking.

Check out this video of @qorax wicking a K5. I don't use twisted, spaced coils, as he does, but check out 1.27 where he tucks the ends into the wells using his tweezers. This is the method I'm now using. Also, I'm using narrower strips of cotton, about 1/4".

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I took the whole thing apart, soaked it in a Dawn solution, that was was my cleaning. I will be looking at the video.
Thank you.
That's an awful lot of trouble just to stop it from leaking. The only time I've ever cleaned one that thoroughly is when they're brand new. If I'm changing flavors I take the tank apart and clean the glass.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
That's an awful lot of trouble just to stop it from leaking. The only time I've ever cleaned one that thoroughly is when they're brand new. If I'm changing flavors I take the tank apart and clean the glass.

That probably won't be a routine but it needed it. There was "crud" under that bottom "plate" that the bottom positive screw hold in.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Regarding seepage from air vents, if you check my earlier posts you'll see I've been struggling with this issue for some time. So many possible causes, it's hard to pin down.

I have 3 K5s. I've replaced every o-ring, including the big ones at top & bottom of tank body, and modified my wicking. 2 of my 3 K5s are now virtually free of any seepage from air vents (and yes, it's seepage, NOT condensation) yet one of them still seeps no matter what I do.

I think there may be some validity to keeping the wick away from the air hole, but the "add more cotton" theory has proven to be B.S. Big, fat juicy wicks are actually more likely to seep. Quorax has a video showing how he wicks his K5s, which is the model I use now.
Taking the same action expecting a different result may be insane, but sometimes it works. Even though all the o-rings on my one problem K5 had already been replaced, during my last re-wicking I replaced #10 (JFC) and #11 again, took the bottom plate off and replaced #8 (AFC). Raised the coil slightly. This is day 3 with no leaking/seeping! Impossible to know what did the trick. Only thing I did differently was, instead of completely lubing the rings before putting them on, this time I put them on dry and lubed the outer side only. Who knows?

I love these K5s, but can see why many folks give up on them. One really needs to have some OCD to deal with them and they can be more of a P.I.T.A. than a $100+ tank should be.
K5-Parts.jpg

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Taking the same action expecting a different result may be insane, but sometimes it works. Even though all the o-rings on my one problem K5 had already been replaced, during my last re-wicking I replaced #10 (JFC) and #11 again, took the bottom plate off and replaced #8 (AFC). Raised the coil slightly. This is day 3 with no leaking/seeping! Impossible to know what did the trick. Only thing I did differently was, instead of completely lubing the rings before putting them on, this time I put them on dry and lubed the outer side only. Who knows?

I love these K5s, but can see why many folks give up on them. One really needs to have some OCD to deal with them and they can be more of a P.I.T.A. than a $100+ tank should be.
K5-Parts.jpg

All of the above is true, but on the other hand, the K5 is ridiculously simple in comparison to the K4 it replaced ;-) and out of all the high-end atty's in my rotation (okay the K5 is a LE-HE atty, since it "only" costs $100 give or take), the K5 has trumped: Skyline, Hussar, Rose v3, for me. It's mostly been a problem-free experience (for me personally).

More than a year later, I'd rate the K5 as one of the Top 5 best RTAs of all time (again, in my subjective opinion and experience). FWIW I too replace the O rings dry, and only lube the side that's coming into contact with other moving parts. This has always worked well for me. But "always" is limited, because after a year+ use on one K5, I've only replaced the O rings once, and had no problems, using the same methodology as you just did.

Daily drivers ATM (K5, v3 mini, Skyline, Hussar RTA):

What's the strangest flavor of ejuice you've tried?

Picture of Your Setup Part 3!

Last edited:

Mada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Egypt
All of the above is true, but on the other hand, the K5 is ridiculously simple in comparison to the K4 it replaced ;-) and out of all the high-end atty's in my rotation (okay the K5 is a LE-HE atty, since it "only" costs $100 give or take), the K5 has trumped: Skyline, Hussar, Rose v3, for me. It's mostly been a problem-free experience (for me personally).

More than a year later, I'd rate the K5 as one of the Top 5 best RTAs of all time (again, in my subjective opinion and experience). FWIW I too replace the O rings dry, and only lube the side that's coming into contact with other moving parts. This has always worked well for me. But "always" is limited, because after a year+ use on one K5, I've only replaced the O rings once, and had no problems, using the same methodology as you just did.

Daily drivers ATM (K5, v3 mini, Skyline, Hussar RTA):

What's the strangest flavor of ejuice you've tried?

Picture of Your Setup Part 3!
Hussar is my favorite by far. It is very strange 'for me' that it didn't get a lot of attention. It is very simple, amazing flavor, TH and vapor. It never leaked , it holds 5.5 ml, and amazingly it doesn't gunk as fast as other RTA's. After more than 3 years of vaping and trying many RTA's and liquids, i am sure that vaping is so 'subjective'.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC

K5-Parts.jpg
Alas, my one problem K5 still bleeds juice from the air vents after a day or two. I think this one didn't come off the assembly line right. The JFC and AFC have always been loose compared to my other two. Too bad Svoemesto doesn't support their products. I emailed them about this issue several months ago, got an auto reply and never heard from them again. The vendor I purchased from offers a one year warranty, but it's expired. Wish I could just find a new deck for this puppy. Otherwise it will be confined to in house use only.

I guess this is the Mini V5 we have been hearing about. Kayfun Prime RTA. Found this at Origin Vape. Due in September. Strictly MTL, no option for DL with a 1-2mm step adjustable air flow. 2ml tank.
View attachment 679383
Looks like it wasn't supposed to be up yet. It's been taken off of the site.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
JC / AFC loose in K5

If you've dropped your K5's base (w/out anything attached) - pls look for hairline dents. Straighten them up asap. Yes, though it is 316gr SS - it still can be plied with a pair of long nose pliers.

This is b'coz those hairline dents would still enable you to assemble everything up and vape. BUT, they'd tamper with the factory precision set for the JC/AFC. And you guessed it ~ that'd cause leaks.

BT.DT!

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I guess this is the Mini V5 we have been hearing about. Kayfun Prime RTA. Found this at Origin Vape. Due in September. Strictly MTL, no option for DL with a 1-2mm step adjustable air flow. 2ml tank.
View attachment 679383
Oh wow!
I need that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread