Status
Not open for further replies.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
I just found out a this evening that V1.5 was available, so I installed it, even after coming here afterward and reading about other people's results. Of course, I would be the one to get different results than what have already been posted. While I cannot (and will not try to) explain why my Captain performs any differently... using two different tanks (named below), My Captain is working equally as well in Power Mode as a Q Mini... with respect to vape and taste. I don't have e-cig test gear like an O-Scope or Meters to connect and reveal the kinds of information that might offer anything close to proof (if that's the way to say it) in comparison to the Q Mini, or how close it might actually be with regard to electronic testing's results, so all I can go by is a comparison to vape and taste, which is exactly what the average vaper will use in reporting their results. Having said that, I'm moving on, being as scientific about it as I can be...

In preparation for Temp Mode with SS316L from Advanced Vape Supply, I let the two devices and tanks sit for at least 30 minutes to get to room temperature, and also between trials in testing while switching tanks around. I locked in the Ohms on both devices before testing so the resistance was normalized and locked on both mods. The Ohms for the single coil read 0.5036Ω on the Q Mini and 0.484xΩ on the Captain (a difference of 0.0196Ω). The Ohms for the dual coil read 0.1730Ω on the Q Mini and 0.159xΩ on the Captain (a difference of 0.0140Ω). I can live with that!

In case you're wondering, the x in 0.484xΩ and 0.159xΩ is there because the Captain only shows 3 decimal place accuracy for subohms. The Q Mini has 4, meaning that the Captain's 3rd decimal is rounded off in comparing the two devices.

The tanks are a Crown 2 with the single coil in an optional Rafale RBA, and a Horizon Tech DUOS Sub Tank with a dual coil in its optional RBA. This tank is something of a Cloud Beast Clone in that Coil Heads are interchangeable. Starting off with the Crown 2 on Q Mini set to 60J, 420°F, and SS316 Mode, the vape and taste are everything one would expect. Using TCR set to 0.00092, vape and taste are the same, as far as I can tell.

To be fair, the Captain already has the Ohms locked to the Crown 2 from before testing began from having taken the Ohms readings above. With the Crown 2 on the Captain set at 60W, 420°F, and SS Mode for the coil, the vape is very disappointing, with very little vapor. With TCR set to 0.00092, the vape is a little better, but not close to the Q Mini, with an increased amount of vapor, but not a lot. With 90W, 490°F, and TCR set to 0.00092, vape and taste are comparable to the Q Mini as set above. With TC set to SS, the vapor is still lacking behind the Q Mini.

Something else that's odd is that the first vape is much better than a second vape is, only a few seconds later. The vapor is lessened to a point with each following vape that doesn't give the coil enough time to cool to some extent. I noticed this in TCR Mode, so I'll have to check this in SS Mode later.

Moving on to the DUOS Sub Ohm Tank, I let both devices and tanks cool to room temp for at least a half an hour, and locked the Ohms into both devices in preparation for testing this dual coil tank. Starting with the Q Mini again and with it set to 60J, 420°F, and SS316 Mode, once again the vape is everything I'd expect, but a little cooler than the Crown 2 because each of the dual coils is only getting 30W. With the coil type set to TCR and 0.00092, the performance is much the same, but I typically use TCR anyway. With the Captain set to 60J, 420°F, and TCR Mode, as expected, there is less vapor for the dual coils than the single coil. Set to coil type SS Mode, vapor production is about the same, if not less. With the Captain set to 120J, 520°F, the Captain approaches the Q Mini. Therefore, I enjoy the Captain in Power Mode.

I have no issues with settings being changed or reset when the battery door is opened for any length of time. TCR still has a Max of 0.00200, as noted before, and a Minimum of 0.00050. I have no issues with the device running away at Max Power, ruining wicking under any conditions, giving a harsh, burnt taste, or the Power not releasing when the vape button is released, although this did happen to me with Firmware V1.3 and SS316L from Youde (UD). I actually heard the cotton poof into a flame that extinguished when I released the vape button. That burned my throat pretty bad. Firmware V1.4 fixed that for me.

Sorry I didn't do any testing with other wire types, but my Captain worked well with TA1 under V1.4, so I assume that hasn't changed. If I rebuild with TA1, I'll report back on that. I haven't used Ni200 in quite a while. I like some form of SS wire these days because of its versatility, with 316L being what I use the most.

Last edited:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Nice write up @100%VG you went a lot further with TC testing than I cared to after it fired full power on my build..
I can only hazard the guess that either there are several versions floating around with various creation dates, with some being much older than mine, or something like Quality Control has failed some of you, if not both. If any of you know of someone who actually received a replacement Captain PD270 234W Box Mod, or if you were able to get one yourself, please let everyone else here know what it took for you to get it. People who received a defective device need help!

iJoy has released yet another device with what may or may not be the same chip as ours. That being the
Genie PD270 234W. It may not be the same chip because it has some geeky panel lights and a flashlight feature. I saw it advertised by name only and went to see what it was. That's when I decided to look and see if Firmware V1.5 had been released.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
iJoy has released yet another device with what may or may not be the same chip as ours. That being the Genie PD270 234W. It may not be the same chip because it has some geeky panel lights and a flashlight feature. I saw it advertised by name only and went to see what it was. That's when I decided to look and see if Firmware V1.5 had been released.
I made a post in that Genie PD270 234W thread to ask if it used the same IWEPAL chip that is in the Captain PD270. The answer was Yes.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I made a post in that Genie PD270 234W thread to ask if it used the same IWEPAL chip that is in the Captain PD270. The answer was Yes.
Well that's another one to avoid.

One guy in the FB group was saying that the "A" battery in the Captain will drain away on its own. Supposedly doesn't matter if it is turned off or left on.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Well that's another one to avoid.

One guy in the FB group was saying that the "A" battery in the Captain will drain away on its own. Supposedly doesn't matter if it is turned off or left on.
The Genie may or may not be another one to avoid. Some of the most common issues that have been reported about the Captain may very well be hardware related, which could have been improved upon in the Genie. I am making an effort to find out for myself. I'll tell ya more about it when I have more to say about this.

As far as Battery "A" is concerned, I don't have that issue with mine. The batteries drain fairly evenly between them. The problem that the FB person has may well be hardware related, maybe due to manufacturing errors. While that is certainly not a good thing, it probably has nothing to do with the IWEPAL Chip itself.

Lande

Aug 17, 2017
Hello. After upgrading my captain from 1.3 to 1.5 I got important issues. I always vape on power mode and I decided updating the device because It was reading wrong the resistances in version 1.3. A 0.55 ohms coil was reading 0.38 ohms. The problem is after updating to 1.5 the watts/volts have become crazy. If I am vaping with my 0.55 coil with 31 watts, it shows the device running at 5.70 volts!!. And you taste .... of course!. If I decrease watts to 19w I get 4.20v :/. Totally crazy. I have downgraded to 1.3, and I was thinking if the same thing was happening in 1.4 version. I just want the mod to read correctly the resistance and run to the proper volts... I could not even find the 1.4 version because they do not have a download history.

Reactions: TrollDragon

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Hello. After upgrading my captain from 1.3 to 1.5 I got important issues. I always vape on power mode and I decided updating the device because It was reading wrong the resistances in version 1.3. A 0.55 ohms coil was reading 0.38 ohms. The problem is after updating to 1.5 the watts/volts have become crazy. If I am vaping with my 0.55 coil with 31 watts, it shows the device running at 5.70 volts!!. And you taste .... of course!. If I decrease watts to 19w I get 4.20v :/. Totally crazy. I have downgraded to 1.3, and I was thinking if the same thing was happening in 1.4 version. I just want the mod to read correctly the resistance and run to the proper volts... I could not even find the 1.4 version because they do not have a download history.
I have V1.3, V1.4, and V1.5 saved on my PC. If you would like to have a copy of them, I could send them to you in email. Send me a PM if you want them.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
The Genie may or may not be another one to avoid. Some of the most common issues that have been reported about the Captain may very well be hardware related, which could have been improved upon in the Genie. I am making an effort to find out for myself. I'll tell ya more about it when I have more to say about this.
A Genie PD270 Kit with 4ml Captain S Subohm Tank in Black will be on its way to me soon. It is in Pre-order now, which is scheduled to end on Aug 25. Once I have it, I will compare it to my Captain PD270 to see if it works any better than the Captain does. I have to say that I am very hopeful that all the input iJoy has been given on the various issues with the Captain has been addressed and skillfully incorporated into the Genie's hardware design. Since it should be using the same Firmware, I don't expect it to have things like an extended range for TCR settings yet, but I certainly expect that issues caused by Hardware have been resolved.

I am also working on a reliable way for people who have a defective iJoy product to be able to contact iJoy, report the issues, get a reply, work out any details, and be given a good replacement that will be processed, shipped, and delivered in a timely fashion. No more slow boats from China! Pioneer4You did this through
KMG Imports & Distribution in Irvine, California with an RMA process. The folks there are professionals and process resolutions promptly. I feel that iJoy should have something similar.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
I'm still working on a way for people to have a reliable way to get replacements for faulty iJoy products. My distributor rep said that he passed this along today...

I would like to be able to give the people in that discussion thread who have obviously been sent a defective iJoy product (the Captain PD270 in this case) a way to find reliable help from iJoy. Something that I could post in the thread that would show them the best way to contact iJoy (or an agent of theirs), report the problems that Firmware cannot fix (or has actually made worse), and get a good replacement sent to them promptly. Something like a step by step procedure. As a made up example, something like this...
  1. Go to a webpage to find the Contact Us page (or an email address, or a Toll Free phone number). Better yet would be a "Report a problem" page, email, or phone number.
  2. Report the details of the problem/s.
  3. Setup an RMA system (if they want one) where customers return the defective product and have a new one sent, or just send a replacement without demanding the defective one back.
This first step would also be posted in the comparison thread, as it will be comparing the Genie to the Captain. A second step that could (and should) be taken by iJoy is detailed below.

I don't know how much of that discussion thread you may have read, but I have seen enough reports there alone to show me that there is a high enough percentage of defective devices to justify the fact that iJoy needs to:

1. Stand up and admit that there is a problem.
  2. Create a reliable way for people to contact them and get a replacement promptly.
  3. Pay some serious attention to Quality Control.
If they don't already have system like this for people with defective products, then it should be created. If they do have one, then it needs to be updated to handle defective devices and send out replacements using the same kind of 4-day delivery that you use for my review products. This should either be handled by iJoy directly, or set up through an agent to handle this for them. Personally, I think it would be great if your company could be in on it as the Agent.

Pioneer4You did this through
KMG Imports & Distribution in the USA. As it is now, when iJoy does send out a replacement, they send them via cargo on a sailing vessel that takes 30 to 45 days for delivery, if the product isn't delayed further or seized by Customs. iJoy has developed a bad reputation. They have too many customers who are very unhappy and need of some very special attention. It is time for them to step up, admit it, and do something about it. I'm sure that as a Distributor, you feel the same way.

For a customer to have to pay the kind of shipping you suggested is totally unacceptable and intolerable. They know they are releasing bad/defective merchandise, and they should not demand the return of faulty product to China. There needs to be official handlers setup to handle this, like KMG here in the USA, and one in however many countries are necessary to cover this to the customer's satisfaction. Frankly, anything less is not even a half-azzed effort.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I'm still working on a way for people to have a reliable way to get replacements for faulty iJoy products. My distributor rep said that he passed this along today...

I would like to be able to give the people in that discussion thread who have obviously been sent a defective iJoy product (the Captain PD270 in this case) a way to find reliable help from iJoy. Something that I could post in the thread that would show them the best way to contact iJoy (or an agent of theirs), report the problems that Firmware cannot fix (or has actually made worse), and get a good replacement sent to them promptly. Something like a step by step procedure. As a made up example, something like this...
  1. Go to a webpage to find the Contact Us page (or an email address, or a Toll Free phone number). Better yet would be a "Report a problem" page, email, or phone number.
  2. Report the details of the problem/s.
  3. Setup an RMA system (if they want one) where customers return the defective product and have a new one sent, or just send a replacement without demanding the defective one back.
This first step would also be posted in the comparison thread, as it will be comparing the Genie to the Captain. A second step that could (and should) be taken by iJoy is detailed below.

I don't know how much of that discussion thread you may have read, but I have seen enough reports there alone to show me that there is a high enough percentage of defective devices to justify the fact that iJoy needs to:

1. Stand up and admit that there is a problem.
  2. Create a reliable way for people to contact them and get a replacement promptly.
  3. Pay some serious attention to Quality Control.
If they don't already have system like this for people with defective products, then it should be created. If they do have one, then it needs to be updated to handle defective devices and send out replacements using the same kind of 4-day delivery that you use for my review products. This should either be handled by iJoy directly, or set up through an agent to handle this for them. Personally, I think it would be great if your company could be in on it as the Agent.

Pioneer4You did this through
KMG Imports & Distribution in the USA. As it is now, when iJoy does send out a replacement, they send them via cargo on a sailing vessel that takes 30 to 45 days for delivery, if the product isn't delayed further or seized by Customs. iJoy has developed a bad reputation. They have too many customers who are very unhappy and need of some very special attention. It is time for them to step up, admit it, and do something about it. I'm sure that as a Distributor, you feel the same way.

For a customer to have to pay the kind of shipping you suggested is totally unacceptable and intolerable. They know they are releasing bad/defective merchandise, and they should not demand the return of faulty product to China. There needs to be official handlers setup to handle this, like KMG here in the USA, and one in however many countries are necessary to cover this to the customer's satisfaction. Frankly, anything less is not even a half-azzed effort.
That is great and I really hope it works out.

99% of the users run the Captain in power mode and never see any problems. High praise amongst the Clouds Bro Clouds crew tuns into very profitable sales. You don't need no TC for 12 coil sub ohm tanks. ;)

I had an "interesting" discussion with one user on the iJoy Fan FB group who says his Captain works perfectly in TC with his Ni80 claptons... :facepalm: Most users first trial of TC is usually on really poor implementations like iJoy's, find the vape to be horrible and immediately switch back to power mode. Telling their friends that they tried TC and it's total ....e, power mode is all you need bro!

We TC vapers are a very small minority in the cheap Chinese mass market game. Anyone who is serious about TC usually end up getting a DNA or YiHi (not iPV) mod or three ;). One gets tired of fighting with non functional TC products from iJoy, Smok, Kanger, iPV and so on...

Saw a SX Mini G Class the other day with a Smok TFV12 on it. I told the guy it was a really nice mod, too bad it's capability is wasted on a TFV12. He told me hits hard and all that temp stuff is for the birds... I smiled and told him to vape on bro, vape on! :lol: :w00t: :lol:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa

99% of the users run the Captain in power mode and never see any problems. High praise amongst the Clouds Bro Clouds crew tuns into very profitable sales. You don't need no TC for 12 coil sub ohm tanks. ;)

I had an "interesting" discussion with one user on the iJoy Fan FB group who says his Captain works perfectly in TC with his Ni80 claptons... :facepalm: Most users first trial of TC is usually on really poor implementations like iJoy's, find the vape to be horrible and immediately switch back to power mode. Telling their friends that they tried TC and it's total ....e, power mode is all you need bro!

We TC vapers are a very small minority in the cheap Chinese mass market game. Anyone who is serious about TC usually end up getting a DNA or YiHi (not iPV) mod or three ;). One gets tired of fighting with non functional TC products from iJoy, Smok, Kanger, iPV and so on...

Saw a SX Mini G Class the other day with a Smok TFV12 on it. I told the guy it was a really nice mod, too bad it's capability is wasted on a TFV12. He told me hits hard and all that temp stuff is for the birds... I smiled and told him to vape on bro, vape on! :lol: :w00t: :lol:
Many of the people who made a video review on the Captain only used it in Power Mode. If you watched reviews by RiP Trippers, he continued using the Captain in his reviews of Toppers for quite a while. He really loved it. He might still do so, but I haven't watched one in a while.

Tracking shows that my iJoy Genie PD270 234W Kit should arrive this Friday. I'm really looking forward to this one. I really hope that iJoy fixed all the hardware issues that the Captain has to release a quality Dual 20700 device. Since my Captain has minimal issues as compared to what I've seen, it makes me think that mine has fewer hardware issues than others. I'm hoping that the IWEPAL Chip can live up to its promises in the Genie.

I'll do the same testing that I did before, but this time, I'll be comparing data using 7 Tanks on 5 or 6 TC Mods, including a Reuleaux DNA 200 and an SX Mini Q Mini. Honestly, some of the things I've seen on the Reuleaux DNA 200 and Q Mini have surprised me. But all of this will be revealed in a screen shot image of an Excel Spreadsheet when the comparisons have been completed.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017

Sadly very true. it's why TC isn't more popular. FWIW many more affordable options work well like the aspire, smoant, hohmtech etc mods. all do a good temp control. FSK, SX mini, and DNA are the 3 best though

eLCruz

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Central Florida
Well ijoy either ships via snail, literally! Or they are lying to customers and not honoring their warranty. On June 21st i submitted a defective mod warranty request. June 24 it was approved and said they would replace. September 7th, nothing!
Anybody have different results, or insight as to how long it takes to get warranty service from this company?
I don't think I will ever buy another product from this company. They don't seem honest, for many reasons...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Well ijoy either ships via snail, literally! Or they are lying to customers and not honoring their warranty. On June 21st i submitted a defective mod warranty request. June 24 it was approved and said they would replace. September 7th, nothing!
Anybody have different results, or insight as to how long it takes to get warranty service from this company?
I don't think I will ever buy another product from this company. They don't seem honest, for many reasons...
I don't know if iJoy is a registered supplier on ECF or not, so you may want to ask an Admin first, but this might be an option for you...
Reviews of Suppliers - Negative
Just be sure to read the first four stickied posts before you begin, and follow the rules. I would ask one of the Admins there first. I see Misty listed there, but if you write to one of them, please wait until you get an answer before proceeding. Good luck.

eLCruz

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Central Florida
If they have fb page , that route sometimes gets better results with some companies.
Tried fb, never got a reply at all. They do reply to emails, but all they say is, " we'll check this for you" for 2 months now. And here I sit with a defective Captain. If you can't check the status of an APPROVED warranty replacement in 2 months, you should not be in that business.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread