Bench Test Results: Which lasts longer? VTC6, 30Q, or HG2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Here are the results for an abusive life cycle test of three popular 3000mAh batteries. The Sony VTC6 was the best performer in my original testing but does it have a weakness? Is it a cell that can't take abuse? The datasheet specs seem to indicate that it might have a shorter cycle life than the other two.

Bottom Line: The VTC6 started with the highest capacity but the 30Q had the smallest loss of capacity after 50 abusive charge-discharge cycles. The HG2 was the loser in these tests, having the lowest starting and finishing capacity.

IMG_5603.jpg

The VTC6 starts out as the better performer, by a little, and might be the better choice if you aren't using your batteries hard. The 30Q, while not performing quite as well as the VTC6 at the start, would be the better choice if you habitually abuse your batteries, i.e., discharge and charge them hard.

30Q's won't drop in capacity as far or as fast as the VTC's over the long term, retaining about 5%-6% more capacity than the VTC6. Not a huge difference but it could be noticeable.

While the HG2 is still a great battery it's just not quite as good as the other two. It's still a good choice for regulated mods though at about 60W, or less, per battery. It didn't lose quite as much capacity as the VTC6 but its lower overall performance left it with the lowest average capacity at the end of the testing.

Which to choose for the way you vape? You'll have to decide yourself but you won't go wrong with any of any of these batteries.

Test Conditions:
    Eight 30Q's, eight HG2's, and four VTC6's were tested. Each battery was subjected to fifty charge-discharge cycles at rates designed to accelerate their aging. Charging was done at 4A to a cutoff of 4.20V @ 200mA. Discharging was done at 15A continuous down to 2.50V. This brought the temperature of each cell up over 80°C for each cycle. Each battery was only rested for sixty seconds between charging and discharging. I estimate that this accelerated life-cycle testing aged each battery the equivalent of at least 200 cycles.

Last edited by a moderator:

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    The 30q gets my vote also. Highly unscientific test results from me is that they seem to last longer than my LGhg2's after several months of usage. Both are still good batteries and cost the same. The Sonys cost more at every vendor I've checked and since there isn't markedly better performance from them I don't see a reason to buy them.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I have several older HG2's and VTC6's, and 4 new 30Q's. All are good for my 10W vaping style, but the 30Q's do seem to have the edge on the others. They are my newest cells.

For my low range amp draw it's a tossup as to which is best. They are all good at 10W drain at 2 to 4 amps.
    New cells (of comparable specs) will always have an edge over older ones. Cells lose a bit of capacity with each cycle, and they also lose a bit as they age, even if not cycled at all and stored optimally.

I too am a relatively low-power vaper, using mechanical squonkers, mostly a single coil at around 0.75 ohms, but some dual setups, never below 0.5. Back in 2014 I bought a bunch of VTC5s and (original baby blue) 25Rs. These cells had comparable performance when they were new. But now, at roughly 3 years of age, the VTC5s clearly out-perform the 25Rs.

Is it fair to extrapolate that experience with previous generation cells to the newer VTC6s and 30Qs? Probably not, but personally, I'm buying VTC6s now. :)

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    New cells (of comparable specs) will always have an edge over older ones. Cells lose a bit of capacity with each cycle, and they also lose a bit as they age, even if not cycled at all and stored optimally.

I too am a relatively low-power vaper, using mechanical squonkers, mostly a single coil at around 0.75 ohms, but some dual setups, never below 0.5. Back in 2014 I bought a bunch of VTC5s and (original baby blue) 25Rs. These cells had comparable performance when they were new. But now, at roughly 3 years of age, the VTC5s clearly out-perform the 25Rs.

Is it fair to extrapolate that experience with previous generation cells to the newer VTC6s and 30Qs? Probably not, but personally, I'm buying VTC6s now. :)

My LG HG2's are the oldest, probably two years in rotation. The Sony VTC6's are newer by a year. The Samsung 30Q's are just a month or two old.

Even at 10W I don't get much more than a day vaping, but my puff counter on the Alien is at 1592 puffs since day before yesterday. I've been though a pair of 30Qs and I'm 1/4 down since late last night on a pair of VTC6's. Puff count trumps the clock time if it's stuck to your fist!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    My LG HG2's are the oldest, probably two years in rotation. The Sony VTC6's are newer by a year. The Samsung 30Q's are just a month or two old.

Even at 10W I don't get much more than a day vaping, but my puff counter on the Alien is at 1592 puffs since day before yesterday. I've been though a pair of 30Qs and I'm 1/4 down since late last night on a pair of VTC6's. Puff count trumps the clock time if it's stuck to your fist!
    I evaluate battery capacity/performance primarily based on what portion of a squonk bottle I can vape before I want a fresh battery (and I always refill the bottle when I swap out the battery).

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey @Mooch...
    I noticed that a lot of people have complained about the 30q getting dented on the negative terminal of the battery. Has that been fixed in the revised versions? Or did you face that issue with your testing too?

Revised versions?
    I'm not aware of any revisions to the 30Q. I'm sure they make small adjustments as necessary but no commercial/industrial application dents the battery so they aren't going to increase the metal thickness for us. :)

I've never had one of my batteries dent.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2017
    Revised versions?
    I'm not aware of any revisions to the 30Q. I'm sure they make small adjustments as necessary but no commercial/industrial application dents the battery so they aren't going to increase the metal thickness for us. :)

I've never had one of my batteries dent.
    This is your page right in the attached pic?
    I know you found those pics from somewhere else, but could this have been caused by any vaping products? Or chargers?
    I see that you've stated that if this happens then it's very dangerous to use those cells, so that made me wonder if this is a common occurrence or not?

ef31768458541e9d036971c85c4bc504.jpg

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This is your page right in the attached pic?
    I know you found those pics from somewhere else, but could this have been caused by any vaping products? Or chargers?
    I see that you've stated that if this happens then it's very dangerous to use those cells, so that made me wonder if this is a common occurrence or not?

ef31768458541e9d036971c85c4bc504.jpg

I think it's my page, yes. :)
    Those aren't my batteries, my statement stands. :)

It's possible that any vaping product that applies too much pressure can dent the battery, yes.

It can be dangerous, an important distinction.
    The denting has to be bad enough for that battery, and the situation, for it to move from possibly dangerous to actually dangerous. There is no data on acceptsble dent size, depth, etc., available as no denting is acceptable for any of the other commercial/industrial applications for these cells.

I don't know how common it is but I'm guessing there are at least thousands of cells like those in that picture being used by vapers.

cigatron

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    I evaluate battery capacity/performance primarily based on what portion of a squonk bottle I can vape before I want a fresh battery (and I always refill the bottle when I swap out the battery).

Same here, I've always used ml of juice vaped as an indicator of battery capacity and battery health.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Damn mooch now im torn i just want batteries that wont require me to charge everyday oh well suppose either 3 here wont be bad as I'll rotate between my vtc5s till they die throw in my next pair charge the vtcs5s wait till my new pair does to charge those

Or get a three, four, or five battery mod.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread