Help! I'm vaping cotton!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwight

Aug 17, 2017
Earth
Hi everybody! I really need some help from more experienced vapers. Here is my story. I have been vaping for 3 weeks now. I started with a vista nova tank from vista vapors and apple candy e-juice. After 2 weeks the juice was steeped enough that it was perfect. Absolutely loved it. Then I ordered other flavors like root beer float, a strawberry starburst, a banana. I also bought 2 aspire glass tanks so I wouldn't have to worry about any of the new flavors being a "tank cracker". Most of the time all I am tasting is cotton (from the bvc coil). Even with the apple candy juice that I know has been steeped enough. I have primed and soaked the coil in both glass tanks. I have even put a new coil in one of them and have just been using the one with the new coil. I've been using it for 2 days so I would think that any "breaking in" that it may need has been done. I still get just the taste of cotton 98% of the time. I got more flavor from my e-juice when I used the vista nova which has a silica wick. Someone please help?!?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It could be the wick, but since we don't know which aspire tanks you are using, it's really hard to give an answer without knowing more. Name/model of your tank(s), wattage you use it at, type of coil, etc., as well as how open you have the airflow as compared to the vista nova tank. You will probably be able to improve your experience, but sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error. I know I taste some plastic using one of the Nautilus 2 coils when I first vape it, (1.8 coil) but it breaks in fairly easily.... I do prime it well and raise wattages slowly, and the coil breaks in easily. But it could be a bunch of stuff.

Anna

mwight

Aug 17, 2017
Earth
The tank is an Aspire ET-S Glass. It came with a 1.8ohm Aspire BVC coil pre-installed in it and the replacement coil I put in it is a 2.1ohm Aspire BVC coil. The battery is a standard
900mAh that is not adjustable. Everything is what was recommended on vista vapors website. The Vista Nova wick is 2.4ohm. It's a standard plastic tank clearomizer and it uses the same battery.

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It sound to me like your wick can't keep up with your vape. Try using liquid with a lower VG percentage. Also, take a needle and poke a hole in the coil wick before you install and prime it. The Vista Nova tank you have replaced does use a Silica wick; it's what we call a CE-4 or maybe a CE-5 clearomizer, rebranded for Vista. If all else fails go back to it. Even if you crack one, they're not that expensive. You can also get them cheaper if you order a CE-4 clearomizer rather than pay Vista's price. Welcome to the board.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
You say that all you can taste is the cotton in the wick? What's the flavor like--wet cotton? Never heard of or experienced that before.

What is the vapor production like vis-a-vis the other device?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to the community. As soon as you can afford to get a mod that will let adjust your watts. It will improve your vaping experience. Unsteeped juices smell amazing, but have little flavor. I know nothing about your tanks, sorry no help here. Best of luck figuring it out.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Vertical coils from all brands are notorious to have the wicking far too tight inside the head thus choking juice after its soaked and expanded. Take a long pin, poke and praud all around the top and side of the wicking loosening the wick up some before you put juice to the head. The only cotton taste I know of is burnt cotton and that taste will stick with you for the rest of your life. Breakin taste is cotton that needs to expand fully or either not enough or too much wicking in the head, that should go away after a while.

mwight

Aug 17, 2017
Earth
You say that all you can taste is the cotton in the wick? What's the flavor like--wet cotton? Never heard of or experienced that before.

What is the vapor production like vis-a-vis the other device?

There is definitely more vapor from the Aspire tank. And, yes, it tastes like wet cotton. If you have ever had a tooth removed and the dentist packed gauze pads in your mouth, then you know this taste. But this is a stronger taste, like putting whole cotton balls in your mouth.

So, if it is even possible to take this coil apart and rebuild it, do you think that would fix the problem with the wicking being too tight?

Jonathan Kowalczyk

Mar 22, 2017
Get rid of the tank and buy an RDA, it can look daunting but it is the easiest thing in the world. You learn everything there is to know about your whole vape, you get such a beautiful saturated tasty vape to your exact needs. You can get a nice cheap RDA for fifteen quid or twenty dollars wherever you are. No worry about the tank not wicking or other issues because you can just take the tip off and see everything and judge for yourself. I’ve vaped tanks for five years but getting my RDA changed my experience completely. It is literally impossible to get the flavour, vapour and quality from a tank that you get in an RDA. Seriously ditch the tank you will be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Probably not enough power from your 900mah non adjustable battery to bring out the flavor using a more efficient delivery device.
More vapor = more liquid being vaporized, more liquid being vaporized & more vapor = more flavoring suspended in the aerosol/vapor.
No flavor increase from more vapor produced = need more power.

Rebuilding an aspire bvc is terribly frustrating & usually unsuccessful.

someone will be along shortly to tell you, you must rebuild & use an rba , rda.
Complete hooey. some folks prefer tanks, no reason to carry a bottle & constantly drip & fiddle to get a vape.
There are very few rba's that will work well or at all on a non vv/vw 900mah battery.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
No, but @AlterUrEgo has some good advice. You might pull that coil and jab a pin into all the holes and loosen the cotton. And @Letitia has a point, too. That battery you're using is not going to deliver the kind of oomph you might be expecting.

The reason why is because that BVC coil has a lot more mass than the clearo you had been using. That mass has to be heated through for it to work properly. Your tank is designed to be driven by a battery that's capable of delivering more than a regulated 3.7v.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
The coil in question could be burnt as just today I pulled a coil that tasted so nasty I had to rip it apart and a few forgetting to lower the wattage when switching from the Nautilus X to the Mini caused a serious burnt cotton that was not visible until I did an autopsy. What I saw shocked me! Charred cotton inside that was not visible from the outside or down the coil.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The ET-S arrived with 'game-changing' rumors. It got a few 5 star reviews from the reviewing community who enjoy their commission and fame. Sadly, these folk vape it, say it's good, then leave it in a drawer.
It was a lemon. You can't make a lemon a strawberry royale with self-growing cream and sugar.
It didn't wick fast enough, provided endless dry cotton hits and leaked worse than almost anything seen before.
They are neither on sale or exchanged between friends for backups.
I'm sorry to say this. The original silica wick coil barely worked and using the baby BVC (non nautilus) only improved things slightly. Aspire never designed this clearo for bvc, they just figured it would work with backwards compatibility - the baby bvc was originally for the K1 not the ET-S. The K1 vaped better but had a plastic base that stripped it's threads in a few weeks.

*some of us were there at the time*

:)

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016

My thought exactly, "what does cotton taste like?'. I just had a chew on my shirt and tasted nothing.

Hi Mwight & welcome
I've read discussions about folks who don't like the slight taste they get from cotton wicks as opposed to Rayon wicks, and I've read the comments from folks who don't like the slight taste they get from Rayon as opposed to cotton. These slight tastes though go away after 3 or 4 draws and being as you are a bit of a newbie and from the details of your description I figured this can't be what you are referring to. So I am at a bit of a loss as to what you are describing.

Now if you are talking about the taste of burnt/burning cotton or Rayon now that is a flavor we are all unfortunately familiar with and that problem has been adequately addressed in some of the prior responses.

If we haven't addressed your problem as yet maybe a more details and a better description would help.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everybody! I really need some help from more experienced vapers. Here is my story. I have been vaping for 3 weeks now. I started with a vista nova tank from vista vapors and apple candy e-juice. After 2 weeks the juice was steeped enough that it was perfect. Absolutely loved it. Then I ordered other flavors like root beer float, a strawberry starburst, a banana. I also bought 2 aspire glass tanks so I wouldn't have to worry about any of the new flavors being a "tank cracker". Most of the time all I am tasting is cotton (from the bvc coil). Even with the apple candy juice that I know has been steeped enough. I have primed and soaked the coil in both glass tanks. I have even put a new coil in one of them and have just been using the one with the new coil. I've been using it for 2 days so I would think that any "breaking in" that it may need has been done. I still get just the taste of cotton 98% of the time. I got more flavor from my e-juice when I used the vista nova which has a silica wick. Someone please help?!?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like try some different blenders flavors and see if you get a cotton taste from those. Examples like Capella, Flavor Apprentice cinnamon type, sugar cookie and other bakery flavors.

mwight

Aug 17, 2017
Earth
Smoke_too_much didn't anyone tell you not to chew on your clothes;) Try an actual cotton ball or one of those sterile gauze pads. I guess what I am talking about is that slight taste you mentioned, but it didn't go away. It just went on and on and on. I have been using the same coil for 4 or 5 days now. It's not as bad today and once in a while I get a VERY faint taste of my juice.

I have tried root beer float, pinkle twinkle (which is supposed to be a strawberry starburst), that red-white-blue rocket popsicle. I wasn't sure if those had steeped enough so I went back to my apple candy. From what djsvapour said vista vapor just sold me three lemons. So, it looks like I need to go shopping again and maybe even find a new place to shop at.

What do you recommend? I want something slim not big and bulky. I definitely want a glass tank. I don't want any mods. I've been looking at a vivi nova. There is one that has a metal outer shell. They don't put that on plastic tanks, do they?

Reactions: djsvapour

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
the baby bvc was originally for the K1 not the ET-S. The K1 vaped better but had a plastic base that stripped it's threads in a few weeks.

I've got an Aspire K1 tank sitting right here that I rotate during the day. Maybe older ones used to have a plastic base (IDK), but none of the 3 that I have do. They're all metal, and they work great with the BVC coil...both the 1.6 and the 1.8. I bought 1 to try for a week, then ordered 2 more.

I've also had several newbies to vaping try mine on both a 900mAh eGo and 1,100mAh eGo battery, and they work fine with the K1. You don't get big clouds obviously, but ...it's enough vapor to satisfy.

Reactions: Beamslider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread