Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Can someone show me how much cotton to use for a 3mm coil. I get to where my vape tastes off/funny. I’m a chain vapor too and also any wicking technique I should use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need a bit more info than that.

What kind of coils are you using?
What kind of wire?
Tank or RDA?
What kind of cotton?
What wattage or voltage?
What juice?
VG/PG ratio?

Answer these and I bet someone will chime in and have some other questions but as of right now, answers to these questions will help us help you.

Reactions: Letitia

Ndowens

Jul 22, 2017
We need a bit more info than that.

What kind of coils are you using?
What kind of wire?
Tank or RDA?
What kind of cotton?
What wattage or voltage?
What juice?
VG/PG ratio?

Answer these and I bet someone will chime in and have some other questions but as of right now, answers to these questions will help us help you.

I am using coils I make. 28g kanthal wrapped around 24g ss316l wire

I use organic cotton pads
Using juice from a local vape shop
Tend to get juice that’s 50/50
It is the SMM tank rta

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
ok, first thing that I see that is gonna give you a bad day is your clapton... 28g Kanthal wrapped around 24g SS316... that wrapping wire is WAY to large. It is gonna act like a massive heatsink, causing your core wire to have to get BLAZING hot and is just going to give you a generally bad vape.

I would go with different coils, perhaps 28G parallel kanthals. I dont have your tank, so I dont know what can fit in it, but sort out the coils a bit first.

Ndowens

Jul 22, 2017
ok, first thing that I see that is gonna give you a bad day is your clapton... 28g Kanthal wrapped around 24g SS316... that wrapping wire is WAY to large. It is gonna act like a massive heatsink, causing your core wire to have to get BLAZING hot and is just going to give you a generally bad vape.

I would go with different coils, perhaps 28G parallel kanthals. I dont have your tank, so I dont know what can fit in it, but sort out the coils a bit first.

Ah. Well first time I made them it tasted fine but maybe it burnt the wick faster so that may be what it was. I knew the general on how to make Clapton. Bigger in center and smaller wrapping

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
ye, clapton basics are bigger core smaller wrap. I personally wouldnt use anthing bigger than 36 for the wrap. on basic single core 24g or 26g claptons I prefer 40g for my wrap. you really dont want lot of mass in teh wrap as electrically that is not conducting. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance, and in this case that is the core wire. As the core heats up, it in turn heats the wrapping wire. so if your wrapping is to large it is acting as a heat sink so in order to get a decent vape your cranking the power way up to allow the core to heat the wrap decently.

My first clapton was 22G core with 24G wrap. didnt work at ALL. at times i could actually see the core wire getting red hot in spots while the wrap was still heating up. that is not what you want. at all.

Ndowens

Jul 22, 2017
You will want to have it snug and tight on the coil. And make sure you fluff up the ends pretty well too. The ends should not be too long. just past the wick hole should be good. Also make sure that hole is not stuffed as it will choke the wicking.

Basically what Matt does in his video..

I’ve tried it snug and if I do that I get a nasty taste, even if I do a basic coil.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
All I can tell you is what I'm doing with mine. AVS .3 fused clapton 3id, coil placed so middle of coil a bit above af. Wicked same as SMM vid. When I had .25id parallel placed coil directly middle of af and left wick tails slightly longer. I'm sorry I just don't know how else to help you. Good luck, great rta.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Agreeing with what others have said about your coil. 28g is much too thick for an outter clapton wrap.

If you don't have any thinner wire to try, maybe try making a standard coil, and see if that's any better. If so, you know your problem for sure.

If you wicked this the way Matt did, it should preform well. I'm using a 0.3 ohm triple-core fused clapton (40g outter wrap) and it works flawlessly wicked the way Matt advised.

If you're still having wicking issues after switching to a standard coil, you'll know it's your wicking technique. This RTA doesn't require a lot of cotton at all, just remember that.

Reactions: Letitia

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
If you have to do claptons, do like dual 24g or even 28g with 40g clapton wire. If you do 24g w/ 40g clapton, 3mm ID, 4 wraps (all KA1) that will put you right around .2.

I would say do a simple single strand dual coil of 24g KA1 on a 3mm ID 4 wraps will put you at .2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petabread

Kaimaikid

Verified Member
Jun 4, 2017
New Zealand
I'm using SS 316L 26ga/30ga clapton coil ID 3.omm 6 full wraps = 0.5ohm - biggest thing I found is the wicking makes all the difference between a nice vape and dry hits - you must thin out the wick ends so when they go through the holes they aren't too thick as they do swell up when juice is applied also not too tight or too thin when it goes through the coil - it should be able to slide through the coil without too much resistance...

Hope that helps

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
I’m really considering trying a RDA like the troll v2 as well but I did get closer yesterday with the wicking but it started to dry out a bit again so going to redo it with thinner cotton

Did you have the slightly better luck with a different build in the SMM, or are you still using the clapton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread