tesla nano 120w , awt 18650 batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogyfudge

Aug 19, 2017
hey guys , i bought the nano tesla mod with the smok big baby beast with the awt batteries ,
when i charge up the batteries at full and try to fire the mod at 120 or even 90 it says battery low , second problem is i can't vape over 60 and some times over 40 or even 30 , without coughing and feeling the juice is very hot and of course it hurts my throat , though all the coils i use start from 45 or 50 and best at 60-80 or 45-60 , sometimes i can't even start where the coil should start and i used different juices and its the same , but when i use my revenge mod with the smok tank or even the ngr (i think that what it's called) i can go up to even 120 since its 220w mod so what is the issue here guys ? hope you can help me out because i can't enjoy vaping since the flavor get better at high wattage like 60 or 70 according to the coil .
P.S i didnt try any rda or even the rba coil the comes with the smok big baby tank .

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
hey guys , i bought the nano tesla mod with the smok big baby beast with the awt batteries ,
when i charge up the batteries at full and try to fire the mod at 120 or even 90 it says battery low , second problem is i can't vape over 60 and some times over 40 or even 30 , without coughing and feeling the juice is very hot and of course it hurts my throat , though all the coils i use start from 45 or 50 and best at 60-80 or 45-60 , sometimes i can't even start where the coil should start and i used different juices and its the same , but when i use my revenge mod with the smok tank or even the ngr (i think that what it's called) i can go up to even 120 since its 220w mod so what is the issue here guys ? hope you can help me out because i can't enjoy vaping since the flavor get better at high wattage like 60 or 70 according to the coil .
P.S i didnt try any rda or even the rba coil the comes with the smok big baby tank .

A lot going on here, so I'll break it down.

1) Battery Low warnings. A) I wouldn't even trust a pair of AWT brand batteries anywhere close to 100watts. They are a re-wrap manufacturer, meaning they bought up batches of B or C bin discards from the Big 4 actual battery manufacturers (LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic/Sanyo), batteries the Big 4 didn't want to put their own name on and give an A Bin Spec label to, so the batteries are sub-par to start with, nor do you know if there is a LG HE4 (2500mah 20amp Continuous Discharge Rated) or a Panasonic NCR18650B (3400mah 6amp CDR) under that mislabelled wrapper saying the battery is 35 or more amps. News flash, there is no 18650 on the market over 30amp CDR (LG HB2, HB4, HB6 1500mah True 30amp CDR), so at best those AWT batteries are 20amp Continuous, maybe 35amp at a 1/2 second pulse (key word "MAYBE"). B ) The low battery warning on a full charge at 120watts, well news flash again max watts on an A Bin Authentic 20amp CDR battery from the Big 4 is max 60watts per battery, once you hit that fire button on those AWT batteries the voltage available and the amps available are sagging below what the mod knows will fire that 120watts safely. If the batteries were up to snuff as an A Bin Spec authentic you wouldn't get this warning at a full charge.

Suggestions of batteries for that mod, or any dual battery mod you own
Upto 100watts - Samsung 30Q 3000mah, Sony VTC6 3000mah, or LG HG2 3000mah, all 20amp CDR, that is 50watts per battery
Upto 120watts - Samsung 25R 2500mah, Sony VTC4, LG HD2, HD2C, HD4, Sony VTC5A
Upto 150watts - LG HD2, HD2C, HD4, Sony VTC5A (these 4 are 25amp CDR batteries)
Upto 180watts - LG HB2, HB4, HB6 1500mah 30amp batteries <-- As stated these 3 are the top dogs of amps in 18650 format, any battery says higher than this in its specs is a lie

Suggested Battery Sources
US/Canada/Mexico
Liionwholesale.com
imrbatteries.com
illumn.com
orbtronic.com
RTDVapor.com

EU/UK
fogstar.co.uk (UK)
batteriesplus.co.uk (UK)
nkon.nl (Netherlands)
(*****Do Not Buy off Amazon or Ebay, to high a risk of getting worse than re-wrap, that is getting clones/fakes*****)

Also take a read here
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum <-- This blog has tons of tests and info on vaping batteries, suggest you read some of it, also from his blog current vaping battery chart
img_4813-jpg.643937

2) Vaping wattages for a coil. There is no silver bullet setting, any coil with wattage ranges those are just recommended "Averages" only, not what you need to run them at. The actual juice flavor, PG/VG ratio, Nicotine Strength, air flow, as well as "You" as the end user all play part in what max wattage will be.

*These Steps Apply to "ANY" new coil*
A) Prime the coil properly. Take your dropper and liberally soak/wet any exposed cotton on the sides of the coil, then down into the top of the coil. Key here is not to have juice pool or drip off the coil head, just enough to get wet. Assemble the tank, set aside for a few. Thinner liquids 70PG/30VG to 50/50 this can be 5 to 10 minutes, thicker liquids 20PG/80VG and such can take up to 20minutes. This allows the coil to soak up and saturate properly.
B ) Set the watts on you mod lower than the lowest "Average" rating of the coil, example coil rated at 40 to 80 watts, here you would set the watts to about 30watts to start. Just like you don't go racing a brand new Ferarri without first driving it a month gently to break the motor in properly, the coil head of your tank is the motor of the whole vaping device, you have to break it in gently as well.
C) Without hitting the fire button, take several unpowered puffs, this relieves any excess pressure assembling the tank cause as well as creates the proper vacuum to pull liquid into the coil the tank needs to operate properly.
D) Now in short max 5 second pulls, vape on the device for about 20minutes or so continuous usage, after this if everything is A-Ok, up the watts about 5 more watts, vape at this setting for another 15-20minutes continuous use, rinse and repeat this step until the flavor, heat, throat hit, and vapor production is to you "Your" personal tastes, not Joe Bob Buddy's flavor taste, but "Yours".
E) During Step D, any moment that flavor decreases from the previous setting on a new setting, or feels anemic, and/or almost a dry hit, take the watts down to the previous setting, this is sign that the wicking (cotton) is not keeping up with that watts setting, here the PG/VG ratio also comes into effect (thicker liquids will wick slower than thinner liquids). If you get a burnt, harsh, punches you in the back of the throat charcoal hit, tear out the coil, get a new coil, start at step "A" you've burnt the wicking and destroyed the coil head.

Note- Some flavors like higher heat (custards, bakery flavors, sweet cinnamons, cookies, caramels, vanillas, etc) where others like lower heat (tobaccos, coffees, simple fruit flavors, not very sweetened flavors), as stated above flavor of the juice is a big contributing factor, liquids with high PG get harsher and more throat hit at higher watts, just like higher Nic content gets more throaty the higher the watts. Vape is to hot try adjusting the airflow wider or lower the watts down. Again, no one size fits all silver bullet setting.

boogyfudge

Aug 19, 2017
actually yeah I've noticed that fruity flavors are more soft than something like the donuts or cotton candy , so do you recommend me to go with one of either the lg hb2 or 4 or 6 even if i'm gonna use them on 120w device ? , and i'm sorry i don't understand a lot about batteries can you make it simple why each categorie the Am of the batteries go low i mean at 120w the battery at 2500mAh and at 180w are 1500mAh , and one last think which coil is better the one has more coils or less ? such as smok q2 vs x4 , and also which ohm is better 0.15 or 0.4 and what is the difference ? and thank you

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
actually yeah I've noticed that fruity flavors are more soft than something like the donuts or cotton candy , so do you recommend me to go with one of either the lg hb2 or 4 or 6 even if i'm gonna use them on 120w device ? , and i'm sorry i don't understand a lot about batteries can you make it simple why each categorie the Am of the batteries go low i mean at 120w the battery at 2500mAh and at 180w are 1500mAh , and one last think which coil is better the one has more coils or less ? such as smok q2 vs x4 , and also which ohm is better 0.15 or 0.4 and what is the difference ? and thank you

Well, with 18650 batteries, battery manufacturers have to balance 2 factors, battery energy density (mah/runtime) vs battery throughput or how hard they discharge (amps). Battery density you see in mostly the 20amp CDR batteries with high mah (the 3000mah batteries I listed above like the Samsung 30Q 3000mah) which are not really bad batteries, compared to the LG HB2 with 1500mah but has a throughput of 30amps True CDR. One is sacrificed over the other, other batteries are a balance, like the Sony VTC5A at 2500mah but 25amps CDR throughput. You have to ask yourself, what you are wanting to do, which is related to your coil choices and their wattage requirements. Like I posted if you are not, "regularly" going to run over 100watts or so on a dual battery mod, then you'll need the density more than the throughput, there the 30Q and its competitors will serve you better in the long run. Where if you are going to run consistently in the 120plus watts range, then the Sony VTC5A or the LG HB series will server you better due to their higher amp throughput. Ohms on a regulated mod really don't impact much when talking battery amp requirements, they do have an impact but not as bad as with a mechanical or unregulated mod where lower your Ohms the higher the amps are needed with a mech, with a regulated mod like the Tesla it is the "Set Watts" that impact amps.

Mech/Unregulated single battery tube mod
4.2v highest charge/0.5ohms=8.4amps
4.2v highest charge/0.25ohms=16.8amps

Regulated mod, dual battery series like your Tesla, we use lowest battery charge (lower the charge on the batteries the higher the amps on a regulated mod), and on average a mod shutdown or kicks an error at the 6.4v threshold, and most regulated mods are about 90% energy efficient
100watts set/6.4v lowest charge/90%=17.3611amps needed
150watts set/6.4v lowest charge/90%=26.0417amps needed
180watts set/6.4v lowest charge/90%=31.25amps needed

That 220watt dual battery mod you listed above, as you can see, just by the limitations of the batteries, 220watts is not sustainable the entire charge of the batteries, and if it is an Alien 220watt, it is even worse, about 165watts max due to the Alien discharges down to about 5.6v, so the 220watt dual battery output is technically a lie.

100watts/5.6v/90%=19.8413amps needed

In general, coils, the number of coil wires in a coil head plays a lot in the watts needed, the Q2 dual coil will be more battery efficient and need less power than the X4 quad coil. General rule, triple coil = best flavor, quad coil = the most efficient cloud king, where a dual coil is a balance between those 2, anything over and above these, excluding a single coil, are just overkill and battery efficiency and including battery amp requirements just plummet to dangerous further you go. Without knowing what you are wanting, I can just give general guideline advice, if you want flavor with a bit of cloud you'll want a dual or triple wire coil head with higher Ohms in the 0.3 to 0.6ohm range needing less watts, if you want clouds clouds clouds, then a quad coil head in the 0.1 to 0.2ohm range that uses more watts. More wire mass (metal wire inside the coil) = more watts needed), sorry just the physics of it all.

100 to 120watts or lower is your regular vape
then one of the 3000mah 20amp batteries will suit you better for the runtime (mah)
160 to 180watts then the LG HB2, 4, or 6 1500mah
balance of the two in the 120 to 150watts range then the Sony VTC5A 2500mah

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Good stuff @IMFire3605.

The only thing I can add is that mod manufacturers are building devices with power demand that battery technology cannot yet meet. And they're doing it faster and faster.

A 220 watt dual battery device is a really powerful, really cool device and it would be great if we had batteries that could pump out the amperage it needs without even getting warm.

Truth is, we barely do. Even our best battery pair can't safely do 220w all day,

Tesla is just one of several companies doing this. Smok. Wismec. Eleaf. Innokin.

The thing is, while vaping is a nice little segment of the battery market, right now it's the automotive and power tool markets driving battery R&D. Not us so much.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Good stuff @IMFire3605.

The only thing I can add is that mod manufacturers are building devices with power demand that battery technology cannot yet meet. And they're doing it faster and faster.

A 220 watt dual battery device is a really powerful, really cool device and it would be great if we had batteries that could pump out the amperage it needs without even getting warm.

Truth is, we barely do. Even our best battery pair can't safely do 220w all day,

Tesla is just one of several companies doing this. Smok. Wismec. Eleaf. Innokin.

The thing is, while vaping is a nice little segment of the battery market, right now it's the automotive and power tool markets driving battery R&D. Not us so much.

Yup. If I was going to vape over 100 Watts on a regular basis I'd buy a four battery mod to do it. No reason not to. They aren't expensive and it seems silly to me to push batteries like that, just asking for trouble that you don't need.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Yup. If I was going to vape over 100 Watts on a regular basis I'd buy a four battery mod to do it. No reason not to. They aren't expensive and it seems silly to me to push batteries like that, just asking for trouble that you don't need.

Well... a two battery mod for over 100w is ok. A three battery mod for 200w.

I just received a Pico Dual today, mainly for extended battery life but also to really see what the Baby Beast coils can do. No way I'm dialing that up to 200w.

My instinct for self preservation won't let me.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Well... a two battery mod for over 100w is ok. A three battery mod for 200w.

I just received a Pico Dual today, mainly for extended battery life but also to really see what the Baby Beast coils can do. No way I'm dialing that up to 200w.

My instinct for self preservation won't let me.

LOL, I'm using dual 18650's on a 200W box and I don't even go past 35 Watts for the most part. In fact I diddle around at 12-14 almost constantly. I do enjoy that battery life though...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Well, with 18650 batteries, battery manufacturers have to balance 2 factors, battery energy density (mah/runtime) vs battery throughput or how hard they discharge (amps). Battery density you see in mostly the 20amp CDR batteries with high mah (the 3000mah batteries I listed above like the Samsung 30Q 3000mah) which are not really bad batteries, compared to the LG HB2 with 1500mah but has a throughput of 30amps True CDR. One is sacrificed over the other, other batteries are a balance, like the Sony VTC5A at 2500mah but 25amps CDR throughput. You have to ask yourself, what you are wanting to do, which is related to your coil choices and their wattage requirements. Like I posted if you are not, "regularly" going to run over 100watts or so on a dual battery mod, then you'll need the density more than the throughput, there the 30Q and its competitors will serve you better in the long run. Where if you are going to run consistently in the 120plus watts range, then the Sony VTC5A or the LG HB series will server you better due to their higher amp throughput. Ohms on a regulated mod really don't impact much when talking battery amp requirements, they do have an impact but not as bad as with a mechanical or unregulated mod where lower your Ohms the higher the amps are needed with a mech, with a regulated mod like the Tesla it is the "Set Watts" that impact amps.

Regulated mod, dual battery series like your Tesla, we use lowest battery charge (lower the charge on the batteries the higher the amps on a regulated mod), and on average a mod shutdown or kicks an error at the 6.4v threshold, and most regulated mods are about 90% energy efficient

That 220watt dual battery mod you listed above, as you can see, just by the limitations of the batteries, 220watts is not sustainable the entire charge of the batteries, and if it is an Alien 220watt, it is even worse, about 165watts max due to the Alien discharges down to about 5.6v, so the 220watt dual battery output is technically a lie.

In general, coils, the number of coil wires in a coil head plays a lot in the watts needed, the Q2 dual coil will be more battery efficient and need less power than the X4 quad coil. General rule, triple coil = best flavor, quad coil = the most efficient cloud king, where a dual coil is a balance between those 2, anything over and above these, excluding a single coil, are just overkill and battery efficiency and including battery amp requirements just plummet to dangerous further you go. Without knowing what you are wanting, I can just give general guideline advice, if you want flavor with a bit of cloud you'll want a dual or triple wire coil head with higher Ohms in the 0.3 to 0.6ohm range needing less watts, if you want clouds clouds clouds, then a quad coil head in the 0.1 to 0.2ohm range that uses more watts. More wire mass (metal wire inside the coil) = more watts needed), sorry just the physics of it all.

then one of the 3000mah 20amp batteries will suit you better for the runtime (mah)
Really, my friend, you've done an excellent job in this thread. You may want to consolidate those posts and fake up a blog entry. It would save re-typing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The only thing I can add to the above ^^^^^ wow, by the way :) is that I have a tesla mod, mine is the Steampunk 120, and that sucker has ridiculous power. I had to turn down all my wattages to vape it, compared to the IPV-5 I was using. I don't know what it is, but the tesla I have just produces power very efficiently. Since you don't HAVE to vape in the recommended power wattage on a coil, you can find your sweet spot lower perhaps, and be surprised at Tesla's ability to get more power than other devices. I was really quite surprised at the variance (percentage wise, but I vape low watts. Probably 15-20% less power needed however. It might be something to consider with your new mod if you can vape higher watts on other mods... Once you address the battery issue, of course.

Good luck! :)

Anna

Reactions: Tonee N

boogyfudge

Aug 19, 2017
The only thing I can add to the above ^^^^^ wow, by the way :) is that I have a tesla mod, mine is the Steampunk 120, and that sucker has ridiculous power. I had to turn down all my wattages to vape it, compared to the IPV-5 I was using. I don't know what it is, but the tesla I have just produces power very efficiently. Since you don't HAVE to vape in the recommended power wattage on a coil, you can find your sweet spot lower perhaps, and be surprised at Tesla's ability to get more power than other devices. I was really quite surprised at the variance (percentage wise, but I vape low watts. Probably 15-20% less power needed however. It might be something to consider with your new mod if you can vape higher watts on other mods... Once you address the battery issue, of course.

Good luck! :)

Anna
i thought so also , saying the mod produces more power than my other mod , so when it gets at 30 or 35 it's like 60 on the other mod and i actually started enjoying the flavor on this wattage .

boogyfudge

Aug 19, 2017

thank you so much for the help and all these information are very helpful , you explained it all in a very simple and good way .
that was a much of a help

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread