Dire need for help mixing inavera!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
I find myself in a situation where all i have are concentrates and bases, all my previous diy mixes have gone south.
It is now illegal here to sell eliquids that taste of anything but ashtray or pure nic.
Me and my gf really want to get back to vaping and quit smoking but i never got my diy working.
The taste was always off, might taste ok for a day or 2 but then bad.. i have made all sorts of mixes but i never got a rich taste thats enjoyable to vape.
Always a light or dull taste that gets you back to smoking. Mixing ratios have been around 1-3%.
Today i took my stuff out of the box and started testing some of the liquids i had made a month ago and nope.. not good enough to actively vape.

Here is a list of what i have so if anyone knows of any working recipe id highly appreciate. I use 60-70%vg.

Everything is inavera:
Eucalyptys & menthol
Cool mint
Menthol
Two apple
Banana
Strawberry
Mango
Vanilla cream
Caramel
Liqorice
Yummy classic bubble gum
Wild strawberry
Donald bubble gum
Exotic
Pear
Anis
Custard
Biscuit
Creme brulee
Nougat
Fresh mint
Raspberry

Also have some ethyl maltol and sharp taste.

Thank you very much for any info you can share.

If it makes any difference our setups are:
Aspire pegasus + geekvape ammit rta
Kangertech subox mini rba
coils range from 0,5 to 0,7ohm .

Lähetetty minun NEM-L21 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Last edited:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
My love of INW Custard has apparently defeated my impulse to run from this thread, an occurrence I'll no doubt live to regret...

Simple Eggy custard base;
INW Custard 6%

Or...Vanilla Custard;
INW Custard 4%
INW Vanilla Cream ?%

(I don't have Vanilla Cream, so I must leave the amount of that up to you. I would start at 2%, adjust up if desired. My recipe uses 3% Shisha Vanilla, which is just enough to give the custard a slightly sweet vanilla-ness without eroding its eggy note. If you want the eggy note less, or gone, Shisha Vanilla will do the job at higher ratio, though why would you want that? :) )

Adding 1% INW Biscuit will introduce a somewhat bready, yeasty, "crispy" note, but it will also obliterate some of Custard's finer elements, yielding a more dry, less rich(sweet), flatter custard. If you want a custard base to build fruits and other elements upon, rather than a Center Stage custard, the Biscuit might be helpful.

You have several potentially workable flavors to combine with such a custard base, my top three picks would be caramel, strawberry, and raspberry. Sadly, I have neither INW Strawberry or Caramel, so cannot advise on ratios for those, but I'd recommend no more than 0.50 % to start for the Raspberry, as it is extremely strong stuff.

Precaution: You have INW Wild Strawberry. I advise you test it solo at 0.50% to see if it's something you like. Personally, I get musty, floral "green" notes from it that I don't like. It is extremely strong, pungent stuff. It doesn't play well with other flavors, wiped out everything I mixed it with, though if you can get the ratio right, it might be good combined with your other strawberry.

INW Creme Brulee is a lovely flavor. As of yet I've only vaped it standalone and mixed it with tobaccos (it mixes wonderfully with FA Glory). Its complexity defies my ability to describe it, so some cut and paste reddit quotes that I generally concur with will have to suffice. You can figure out a use for it based on those:
"Inw creme brulee: I use it at 3-5% in 50/50 or 70/30 and this .... is delicious. Tastes like burnt sugar caramel flavor, semi thick eggy (not so much as FA meringue)custard, with a sweet well rounded vanilla flavor blended somewhere in the middle."

"The vanilla is sweet and almost fruity in a sense. I almost taste something that like FA mango or coconut on the exhale. They might share some constituents in small amounts. The flavors are all blended together well."

Good luck. :)

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Or...Vanilla Custard;
INW Custard 4%
INW Vanilla Cream ?%
Mmmm yes. I'd go 3% and 3% or 4 and 2 for more eggy. Delicious. Also make up some 3% Pear separately. You can add it to your custard mix as it pleases you. I can't give you a recipe, I just kind of wing it. I usually add a drop or 2 of Amaretto to it as well, but you don't have that on your list. Maybe some creme brulee or caramel instead.
Exotic is good by itself at 3 or 4%.
I don't like the peppermints, but some people enjoy raspberry and mint together.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Now that jambi and glasseye broke the ice with some terrific simple suggestions, I'll add that there are lots of good flavor-forward combo possibilities in your stash. Strawberry-Banana-Vanilla Cream comes right to mind. Fresh Mint-Pear also sounds interesting. Two Apples+Eucalyptus & Menthol+Anis (or Liqorice) is a wild-side possibility too.

Strawberry-Raspberry-Crème Brulee?
Banana-Mango-Bubblegum?

Stick with your 1-3% ranges, small bottles for testing...go wild!

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
Thank you all so much for the tips!
I will be making something tomorrow!
On a sidenote, doesnt custard need a fairly long steep?

allso I have played with the two strawberries and actually managed to make a decent mix. But that taste only lasted a day or so until it changed.
Steeping didt help eighter.
I think i will try to make a menthol + something for s&v until those custards are done.
I will let you guys know what happened

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Thank you all so much for the tips!
I will be making something tomorrow!
On a sidenote, doesnt custard need a fairly long steep?

allso I have played with the two strawberries and actually managed to make a decent mix. But that taste only lasted a day or so until it changed.
Steeping didt help eighter.
I think i will try to make a menthol + something for s&v until those custards are done.
I will let you guys know what happened

Personal opinion, at two weeks INW Custard is as good as it's going to get, though I've vaped it fresh and it's good that way too. It's one of those flavors that will darken in color to tell you it's ready.

What did you do with the two strawberries?

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
I mixed the wild and normal strawberries at around 0,5-2% each ( notes are somewhere).
As a s&v it tasted actually really good after a few attempts.
It was a nice wild strawberry but the normal strawberry gave it a bit more strawberryness if that makes any sense.
We both liked it and vaped it.. but then the next day as we started vaping it again the taste was way off and never got back to what it was right after mixing.
I am vaping one of those strawberry mixes i made over a month ago right now and it tastes kinda like the strawberry has gone bad.
Not nearly sweet enough and a bit like some alcoholic drink that has strawberry in it ( in a bad way). But not in a way that would suggest cap off steeping is needed.

Reactions: jambi

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
So i made a few small experiments and here is the outcome:

Custard 3%
Vanilla creme 1%
Strawberry 1%
Eggy.. some floral taste. Not very pleasant.

Custard 4%
Vanilla creme 0,5%
Raspberry 0,5%
Eggy with a hint of catpiss.. not very pleasant :D

Exotic 3,5%
Tastes kinda ok.. but would like the taste to be wider, very light "thin" weightless flavour.

Creme brulee 4%
Lots of eggyness, has more weight than any of the others.
I think i could vape this.
Still not very rich flavour but atleast its strong enough to satisfy.

I honesty dont know if my pallette is just bad. i have vaped godly liquids before but i just cant get these to taste like anything.

I will be doing more experiments and posting more results.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
if anyone knows of any working recipe id highly appreciate. I use 60-70%vg.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Could read:
Inawera Shops DIY Recipes
Might want to try the ECF search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Could type in "Inawera recipes".
Here is a quick look into DIY, might like to visit:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
http://diyordievaping.com/category/latestnews/beginnertips/
http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diyordie-concentrates.html
DIY E-Juice Resources: Over 100+ DIY E-Juice Resources – E Juice Makers
How to get started mixing your own DIY e liquids.
Could read the stickies in this forum:
DIY E-Liquid

Reactions: dobroeutro

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
I did search a LOT but actually usable recipes are extremely hard to find.
Like in the inawera diy thread, it had one recipe i could do in all 17 pages.

I did a fair share of reading and youtube watching to get started on this diy stuff.

But i never did. I never could make an enjoyable adv.

Now i am stuck with what i have.
After i have used these concentrates i can not order more. It is against the law to sell eliquids that taste of anything else than pure ashtray or flavourless.

So i am in a nasty situation where i would very much need a working adv but wasting any of the concentrates in missed attempts will only push me to keep smoking. I need to quit smoking and get rid of nicotine addiction with these bottles i have in hand.
We both do with my gf.

Thank you for the input , i will try that donald bubblegum + ethyl maltol today :)

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Custard 3%
Vanilla creme 1%
Strawberry 1%
Eggy.. some floral taste. Not very pleasant.

Custard 4%
Vanilla creme 0,5%
Raspberry 0,5%
Eggy with a hint of catpiss.. not very pleasant :D

Exotic 3,5%
Tastes kinda ok.. but would like the taste to be wider, very light "thin" weightless flavour.

Creme brulee 4%
Lots of eggyness, has more weight than any of the others.
I think i could vape this.
Still not very rich flavour but atleast its strong enough to satisfy.
You might want to try those again in a week or two. Custard and tobacco need time to develop properly.

Reactions: IDJoel

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
Yeah i will, just posted the first impressions.
Gf liked the donald bubblegum + em enough to want it for work tomorrow. Awesome id say.

I did some experiments with custard+vanilla creme+caramel and it felt like an amazing base, like an upgraded creme brulee.
Just made another 10ml but added 3 drops of banana to it.

This feels like something i will like a lot!
7 drops of custard
2 drops caramel
3 drops vanilla creme

Will see how it ages but off the bat its the best i have ever done.
Just needs something like banana or mango and some fine tuning.

Again, thank you guys so much for the effort.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Stop smoking a couple months and you'll probably like the lighter mixes or even find them too strong. A light vape to me is pleasing and more like smoking, as much about texture as flavor. I know you're not there now, but it may help to have some sense of proportion and where it's going. As you're finding, going for strong flavor is where it gets tricky.

The purpose of steeping is essentially to get rid of odd flavor notes that are sticking out at first to you and you're liking, as well as allow full mixing and flavors to develop and increase. Mixes have to be for after steeping because they become stable.

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
    Yeah i know the basics of steeping. Like i said earlier im just giving first impressions.
    I always try the liquid after a good shake, then let it steep for a few days and taste again.

If could stop smoking for 2 months there would be no need for me to vape.
    After a good 16 years of smoking and a bit of a stressful situation in life ( just moved, new job, 2 kids, short in money etc) just quitting sounds like an awesome idea but the first weeks would be unbearable to everyone. Thankfully i have some juices to be made and so hopefully the quitting will become more pleasant :)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Yeah i know the basics of steeping. Like i said earlier im just giving first impressions.
    I always try the liquid after a good shake, then let it steep for a few days and taste again.
    I do the same thing; that is, mix, and taste fresh. My thought is, how do I know "how" it is changing, if I don't have a starting point? I do not expect a finished, or perfect ready-to-vape result. But, more of a "Okay; this is what we are starting with. Where is it going to end up?"

I try to taste the new mix at least two more times, during the first 3 days, and then twice more during the first week. Then, if it hasn't already stabilized, at least once a week until it no longer seems to be changing.

Each time I taste test, I write down my perception of what I am tasting, so I can compare it to previous tastings. Is it getting better? Worse? How is it changing. What notes are getting stronger, or weaker? What might be missing, or unnecessary, in future mixes (but never making adjustments at this time).

Sometimes, I find that I like a particular mix "fresher," at some point prior to it stabilizing. "Mix X is best between 3 days, and two weeks. After two weeks, mix becomes flat, and loses most of its depth. Much less interesting/pleasing. Don't make more than what I expect to use in two weeks!" is just one such recipe note.

So, "Taste away!" I say!:D
    If could stop smoking for 2 months there would be no need for me to vape.
    After a good 16 years of smoking and a bit of a stressful situation in life ( just moved, new job, 2 kids, short in money etc) just quitting sounds like an awesome idea but the first weeks would be unbearable to everyone. Thankfully i have some juices to be made and so hopefully the quitting will become more pleasant :)
    Don't be afraid to mix your nicotine a little higher than you think you need. I tried quitting, the first time, in 2010 with one of the early Volcano cig-a-likes, and it was a dismal, unpleasant, failure. with a max of 18mg/mL "cartridges" available, and a low vapor production; I could get neither the nicotine, nor the chest "hit" my body needed.

Two years later, someone introduced me to different equipment, and higher nicotine, and quitting happened almost unintentionally. I started with 24mg/mL nicotine content, and thought about reaching for a cigarette (I hadn't thrown out my last pack) several times an hour, but simply chose to take one more puff from my vape. All was good until the next craving... then another puff. After a couple of days, I really didn't have conscious thoughts about cigarettes, unless I was doing something, and didn't vape for an extended time. Then, it was just a matter of reaching for the vape instead of the cigarettes. Within a week, I had to cut down to 18mg/mL, as I was finding the 24mg/mL to be too much.

After about 3 months I dropped to 12mg/mL, later to 9, and finally to 6mg/mL. I have been 100% cig-free for over two years. I hover now in the 4-6mg/mL range for the most part. But, like most human beings, I have those rough patches, and I won't hesitate to jump back up to 9-10mg/mL, to get me over the hump. Usually, I can go right back to my 4-6mg/mL, within 2 or three days. But, even if I need the 9 for a week, or more, it is never a chore to drop back down when life settles back down.

I have become convinced that tobacco addiction is much less about the nicotine, and much more about all the other poisons they put in. Once that was gone from my system; quitting became very obtainable.

I apologize; I did not mean to derail the original topic of your thread. I only wanted to offer you hope that you can quit. Stay positive; and quit just one cigarette at a time. (I never told myself that I couldn't smoke ever again; just that I would wait one more hour... then one more... Before I realized it; I wasn't thinking about "not smoking" anymore.:D) I wish you all the best!

Herramorkkis

Aug 19, 2017
    Thanks for sharing your story, i know the struggle!
    I have tried nic chewing gums, pills that you put under the tongue (none of these worked at all)
    The expensive medicine that goes by the name "champix" here in finland actually worked miracles but was way too expensive (around 250€ a pack that lasts 2 months) and so i slipped back to smoking.

I started vaping some 3 years ago and for a long time i only needed my morning cig, somedays i did not smoke at all.
    After a bit over 6 months of vaping and some issues with coil/wick/bad liquids, i got back to smoking.
    After that i have tried vaping 3 times , everytime a half assed attempt with the same stuff.
    Now before the new laws came out i ordered completely new equipments and liquids.
    It worked again, i did not need to smoke. I vaped expensive liquids with a thirsty tank. I needed to get to know how to make my own liquids.
    2 weeks before the new law took place i was doing some research and saw an info message telling me that after 1st of july all ecig internet sales are forbidden. And it is forbidden to sell liquids that taste other than tobacco or just pg/vg/nic.
    There were other things too like tanks cant hold more than 2,5ml liquid etc.. well you get the point , the ultimate vapekiller law.

So i rushed to buy as much concentrates i could, flavours that seemed like i would like them.
    For the next 2-3 weeks i tried to make something we could vape.. but when we ran out of premium liquids our vaping stopped.
    I felt like i had failed myself and my gf. I still have no idea what went so wrong, why wasnt a single one of the dozens of things i tried even decent.
    I know i can quit smoking with vaping, i have done it before. But the vape needs to be pleasant. If it feels like warm mist with a hint of a taste somewhere it just will not be enough to overtake smoking.

Awesome to hear vaping got you from smoking, big thumbs up!

Reactions: IDJoel

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Tobacco flavors can be awesome but vary greatly from horrible to the best vape there is. Since you have other flavorings, you can also make flavored tobaccos with that. Some combinations can get very strong, something like a weak fruit or creamy mix + 10-25% tobacco ejuice can be intense.

Flavoring may still be available, they're not just used for vaping.

Vapor doesn't feel "like a warm mist" it's much more enjoyable than that to me. However find most setups have poor flavor compared to what is possible and the main reason they have any at all is using large amounts of overflavored juices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread