Kayfun V3 or V5 - can it vape 50/50 or 60/40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Tried it. Though most of the dimensions are right, the Machining is poor. Couldn't get it to reliably wick.
Somehow I do not believe in "poor machining".
Today Chine has better equipment a better prepared workers compared to garage industry of Germany (do they use cheap Turkish labor?)

Reactions: RainSong

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 19940485" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
Somehow I do not believe in "poor machining".
Today Chine has better equipment a better prepared workers compared to garage industry of Germany (do they use cheap Turkish labor?)
Wait... you believe no brand Chinese machining outperforms German machining?! GERMANY? The country that makes everyone else's turbines because a ten ton spindle rotating at 30000 rpm is simply too dangerous for anyone else to play with?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
So I bought the "Russian 3.0" and it was a German tank. The machining was excellent, and it appeared to be a FAR more complicated clone-ish version of the Kayfun, one of them, (I have not and will not be purchasing an original) apparently. The build quality was unbelievable, as was the number of pieces and O-rings and complications they were able to shove into ONE tank. But I have purchased some Kayfun clones and the quality of the build and the materials isn't the same. Not even close. That being said, for the price, these are excellent tanks and I'm quite sure when I build them (waiting for my first, biggest single post RTA after playing with "the Russian") the vape quality will be excellent, and they look good side by side, but they don't have quite the precision and solidity that "the Russian" does. But, that doesn't mean they won't be a better vape (for me) either, once I wick them.... someday soon.

But I mainly knew the "Russian" came from Germany because I researched it, quality materials, and also the German Tendency to stuff 50 pounds of things into a 5 pound bag. "The Russian" is a tank I do NOT plan to lose my user manual on, I'll just put it that way. It's a great vape, but clones can be as well. "The Russian" was not a popular tank, hence how I purchased it for $28 dollars when it originally retailed for over 100. After spending one Saturday with the husband setting it up, I know why. :D

That being said, when I decided to buy the Kabuki, I sprung for the real thing, because I had a feeling I would LOVE it and wanted to support a company who was able to do such amazing things with Nautilus coils (and I like the Nautilus 2 to begin with). Some stuff, I'll pay for, some stuff, I'll try a clone first to see if I even am likely to enjoy it. Usually from FT, and then I have to try and figure out what clone it is I ordered by going way back in the Wayback machine of my emails and orders. I still have one thing from FT that arrived that I have no memory of ordering and no clue, really, what it is. That was an error. :(

So, German machining is excellent, but design also plays a role IMO, and the fact is, many clones are excellent, and do provide a reasonable, or even great vape. I wouldn't buy a Kayfun without trying a clone first I think, just because I'd want to be sure that I could use it and enjoy it consistently before POURING my $$ into that. If I do love it? IDK, I haven't bought anything else and I plan not to (other than coils if needed) until I hit my 6 month mark.

I do think there's a role for clones in vaping, and a role for "Brand name" as well.

Anna

Anna

Reactions: RainSong

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Wait... you believe no brand Chinese machining outperforms German machining?! GERMANY? The country that makes everyone else's turbines because a ten ton spindle rotating at 30000 rpm is simply too dangerous for anyone else to play with?
Do not confuse turbines manufacturing with "artisan" tank manufacturing. So yes, I do believe in our field Chinese manufacturing is at least on par with German one.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm not saying there's no role for clones. I have a kayfun 3 clone and a Russian clone that work great. I don't even own any non clone rdas except a pharaoh 25 and a pulse, both of which are Chinese. My issue is specific to the kayfun 5 which is one of the most complicated and high tolerance design tanks that exists.

As to the German thing it has more to do with German technical school education than turbines. That was just an example. Germany has a very very long history of fanatical excellence in machining. The graduation requirements are frankly terrifying. Germany does have a problem with machining, but its one of over qualification. This is how Nikon put zeiss out of business. They produced designs that worked well but did not need the level of machining that only Germany could produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread