Vaping setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa Creto

Aug 19, 2017
Hello all,

I have bought a setup, but i don't think it is enough for me.

Mod - joyetech evic vtwo mini (75W)
Head (atomizer) - Aspire nautilus 2; iCon RDA (with custom coils that give 0.12ohm)

So... the past two weeks i have been using the iCon RDA and found it to be very demanding in terms of care. I change cotton every second day, coils just once during this period... which is today (the end of the second week). I love the vaping pleasure that it gives me, but it is not so comfortable for a busy week (good that I'm on vacation these two weeks). My main issues are that the RDA and MOD get heated very fast, thus stopping me from vaping during the cool down time, very high power consumption, high liquid consumption (which is not much of an issue) and mainly the uncomfortable constant opening and pouring of liquid (not suitable while driving). Having all this in mind i was looking up the squonking part of vaping... but as you might guess, i have been wondering about spills and any related issues. My question, or rather advise seeking, would be related to the proper setup. I am willing to completely change the gear i use, just so that i get the best clouds and flavour. Should i change the MOD to a squonking one (what would be a good one), is there any reson to look for more watts or should i buy a new head (atomizer) that would be suitable to my want/need.

Please advise me on how to proceed. I want cold vape, big clouds, much flavour and if possible less power drain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Massa Creto
cb3da30d6038ee6333be7a9f9a3d37ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
This is just my opinion, but it's an experienced one so take it for what it's worth. I think you're pushing that battery to its limits. The 30Q is as good of a cell as you can buy, but there are very few 18650's that can drive a mod at 75w all day, every day.

I know nothing about liquid feed systems (squonkers). Somebody else will have to address the relative merits of them.

But if you're willing to completely change your setup, you might consider a dual battery mod. Using high drain batteries (like the 30Q), you can easily push your device well north of 100 watts and get very little heating of the mod itself. The heat of the atomizer at that wattage depends on the build.

Massa Creto

Aug 19, 2017
This is just my opinion, but it's an experienced one so take it for what it's worth. I think you're pushing that battery to its limits. The 30Q is as good of a cell as you can buy, but there are very few 18650's that can drive a mod at 75w all day, every day.

I know nothing about liquid feed systems (squonkers). Somebody else will have to address the relative merits of them.

But if you're willing to completely change your setup, you might consider a dual battery mod. Using high drain batteries (like the 30Q), you can easily push your device well north of 100 watts and get very little heating of the mod itself. The heat of the atomizer at that wattage depends on the build.
Would you mind recommending a suitable MOD to fill my thurst for Power... (size is not a problem, I think...)

N.B. the 30Qs (more than one in stock) are a recent addition to my "collection" of batteries and untill today i was driving it at around 50W. This could last up to 2 hours with my vaping, so i have 4 constantly charged batteries ready to be placed on this small (by my opinion) mod. In the picture are the two types I use for now.
ea0d9719522846d86efada0690ad5e9a.jpg

Milan381

Aug 18, 2017
Serbia
There are many good dual 18650 mods,DNA ones,or even the buget ones like Smoant,Wismec or any other.You really cant go wrong with 80% of modern mods.With dual battery setup it should give you about a hole day of vaping at 50-60W...depending on batteries and your style of vaping.I wouldnt recomend vaping any higher than 30-35W on a single batt mod since your vaping time is gonna be really bad,it will use to much of a battery life and stress it...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Both great cells!

The Pico Dual is my favorite, but I'm partial and biased to the Eleaf brand because they've always performed as advertised for me and they're not terribly expensive. Tesla, Innokin, Smok, Wismec, Joyetech... all make good dual cell mods and all have a significant number of users here.

Smok and Wismec have had some quality control issues of late with their devices, but that could be due to the fact that they sell a LOT of devices. I have no idea if they're more likely to misbehave.

There are also 3- and 4-battery mods available, but those monsters are beyond my needs. I'm good with my single and dual cell devices.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Love my little Pico Squeeze, simple and doesn't leak(will only hold a 22mm RDA w/BF. But if you're looking for low maintenance, cool flavor and cloudy then a Smok Alien w/ Freemax Fireluke tank. IMHO.
Hth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Let me suggest you buy a cheap regulated squonk mod-- a CoV Wraith, for example-- and give it a whirl. You can get 60 watts out of one with a good battery and squonking whilst driving is infinitely preferable to dripping while driving, not to mention much, much safer.

Another very viable option is a Kanger Dripbox 160. This is a 2-battery regulated mod, a bit more expensive than a Wraith. I don't have one but I hear good things about them. Be aware most squonkaholics-- me, for example-- don't think much of the proprietary atomizers that come with the kits and like to change them to a better RDA with a BF pin. Depending on what you want, this can easily cost more than the mod and several weeks of juice. Still, a small and inexpensive rig will let you test it enough to see if you like the idea.

I tend to agree squonking gives the pleasure of a dripper with (99% of) the convenience of a tank. However, there are some excellent flavor tanks out there as well. I like both the Serpent SMM and the Augvape Merlin (both single coil rigs and easier to build than dualies) and these offer, IMHO, superior flavor and-- properly coiled-- very good cloud-osity as well. For dual coil RTAs, I am partial to the Augvape Boreas, but they're getting hard to find and are now out of production. The Boreas is a massive machine, holding-- I forget-- 8 or 10 ml of juice.

Finally, yet another option is an RDTA, essentially a RDA build on top of a fluid reservoir, and you let the wick tails droop down into the tank. (It's kinda-like a Genesis style tank, with a modern deck layout and intended to be wicked cotton/rayon rather than a Stainless Steel mesh or ceramic rod.) Take a look at an iJoy Limitless. I have 4 or 5 of them and they're very sweet. There are also other options in the RDTA field, of course.

Welcome to the board. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Please advise me on how to proceed. I want cold vape, big clouds, much flavour and if possible less power drain.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Looks like you will want to do some compromises, all of your criteria may be at odds with each other.
DL at high wattage often times generate's a hot vape. Could try a longer drip tip to help cool the vape. RDA's with built in {top cap} heat sinks.
As to flavor could read:
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
Batteries:
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Vaping 101: Battery Safety

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I want cold vape, big clouds, much flavour and if possible less power drain.

Welcome @Massa Creto !

My first thought is the difficulty in finding gear to provide a cold vape, big clouds, and less power drain. I'll leave recommendations for one set-up that does all 3 to others.

But what might get you started in the right direction is the Smok GX2/4 kit. The mod configures in dual or quad battery mode and changing between the two is quite easy. Dual mode should get you through most of a full day staying at or below 60-70 watts and quad mode about double that. And should you decide to get a little crazy and start pushing to 150 watts, I would think (have to just think cause I've never gone there :shock:) quad mode would get you through at least a day.

The kit comes with the Big Baby tank that for me provides nice clouds and flavor at around 60 watts. It's not what I would call a cold vape, but it's not what I would call hot. Since that tank, or most tanks will not get you through the whole day, pick up a second Big Baby (or other tank of your preference) to carry with you. If you are like me, it is also handy for changing up flavors.

We all have our favorites in tanks and RTA's, so that will take some trial and error. But the mod itself should fill all your needs. Good luck!

Massa Creto

Aug 19, 2017
thank you all for the provided suggestions and warm welcome... I will do some scouting this week in order to check what is available at my local area and will let you know the outcome of the intel gathering... after that i hope to buy at least a new mod... if anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know :)

KC0YNU

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
McPherson, Kansas
Massa Creto, just remember most of us here went through a bit of trying different mods and tanks to find what just works for each of us. We all are attempting to aide you in your search so you do not have to spend so much time/money on things that do not work.

Massa Creto

Aug 19, 2017
Massa Creto, just remember most of us here went through a bit of trying different mods and tanks to find what just works for each of us. We all are attempting to aide you in your search so you do not have to spend so much time/money on things that do not work.
this is the main reason i am going in to forums... i prefer to ask people with experience... Thank you all again for all the wonderful feedback you provide... i will follow-up on this when there is an update on my side... ;)

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Massa Creto & welcome
I have lots of Evic mini's and have never had any of them get hot from use. I'd look to your atty for the heat problem and I suspect it is your coils causing the actual problem. Large fancy coils take a lot of power to heat up and give off a lot of heat when they get up there. If your coils are too close to the metal walls of your atty (can't quite tell from your pic) then the heat gets transferred. Try a smaller simpler coil in your atty and the heat thing will likely go away and you'll get longer battery life too.

Massa Creto

Aug 19, 2017
Ok... so here is an update on my current situation... as there was a bundle of heads to choose from... i decided to go with the trial-error method... This is my 3rd head/atomizer since i began vaping (second month in to it)... Just bought the low budget Eleaf Lemo 3... the nasty liquid i bought along the head ruined my first experience with the atomizer... the 30 minutes that followed were also very displeasing... it leaked a few times... but now i returned home and reconnected each part to ensure no leakage will occur and it doesn't exhibit the previous behaviour. I use the atomizer with the prebuilt coils (coil heads), since it has the option to use double coil setup. Vape clouds are not as thick as the the ones I got used to the last two weeks, but still enough of them... Taste is good (once you put a better liquid inside)... Currently running it at 36.3W, 3.30v, 0.30 Ohms and takes about 10A when fired... I hope to buy my 4th head/atomizer next week... so i will have an update on this...

Let me know what is your opinion on the head and if there is any tip/trick/warning... :)))

Best regards,
Massa Creto
abc36c96c444beccf7a4dd0863f59223.jpg
8e8a000b74bd4c7a5975415e50311175.jpg
244a9fa0a8f70138e0ff3a7388815ac4.jpg

Massa Creto

Aug 19, 2017
Update: turns out i am pleased with this eleaf lemo 3 solution at least for now... it produces pretty nice clouds and the taste is rich... the tank capacity is large enough to fill it only 3 times throughout the whole time i am awake (about 16h). the liquid i use is Ammo Arcus Doré 3mg.

next up is the mod...
c79eaf0f328ee88dc58d29cbfceb7a30.jpg

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Currently running it at 36.3W, 3.30v, 0.30 Ohms and takes about 10A when fired... I hope to buy my 4th head/atomizer next week... so i will have an update on this...

Here's a tip - the amps your screen shows are the amps at the coil, not what's being drawn from the battery. At 36.3 W you'd be getting to about 12.6 A. The formula for amps on a regulated mod is:

Wattage/3.2/0.9

The 3.2 is your battery's voltage at cutoff (where you get the low battery warning and it stops firing). The 0.9 is a 90% efficiency factor, as mods aren't completely efficient. If you want to get further into it, there's a great explanation here:

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

You might want to poke around Mooch's blog for bit. You can learn a lot about batteries there. As far as that goes, I expect you've already done some reading about batteries - you've clearly made some good choices.

Welcome to ECF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread