Joyetech Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
While i love my penguins the coils are still hit or miss. I've been through about 30 coils so far and id say about 1/4 were amazing, 1/4 would NOT wick for .... and 1/2 would wick decently but would dry up after the second long pull. The SE is more of an obvious cost saving's effort than an upgrade. Looking forward to where the next penguin goes or what other large pods systems come out.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
While i love my penguins the coils are still hit or miss. I've been through about 30 coils so far and id say about 1/4 were amazing, 1/4 would NOT wick for .... and 1/2 would wick decently but would dry up after the second long pull. The SE is more of an obvious cost saving's effort than an upgrade. Looking forward to where the next penguin goes or what other large pods systems come out.

I put a new coil in yesterday, it wasnt wicking great. I poked two holes with a small safetypin (or you could use a sewing needle) through the cotton, all the way through until I saw the point of the needle come out into the coil area. Wicking great ever since and no leaks.

upload_2017-8-18_9-46-19.png

Start at 11 minutes in:

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
I put a new coil in yesterday, it wasnt wicking great. I poked two holes with a small safetypin (or you could use a sewing needle) through the cotton, all the way through until I saw the point of the needle come out into the coil area. Wicking great ever since and no leaks.

View attachment 679723

Start at 11 minutes in:

The cotton adjustment tricks have been going on since day one with the penguin's. People either pull a majority of the cotton up the juice channel or poke holes. I've tried all them the first week or so the device was released and it helped with some coils. Hell, i even started to rebuild and run my own coils in the ceramic housings. (see below or back to about pg 10 of this thread) Regardless of what you do i believe wicking is limited by the design of the coil. It is only absorbing liquid from one side of the coil (the top) and if you continue to vape the juice in the bottom portion of the coil WILL vaporize and the cotton WILL dry out. The "new" liquid being pulled in via gravity and slight vacuum will hit the top of the coil first (for the most part) and most of it will be vaporized before it even makes it to the bottom half of the coil. That dry-ish cotton at the bottom will get ever drier. That's why almost all penguin coils (in my experience with about 30 vaped and dissected) will show the majority if not all the discoloration at the bottom of the coil. Little juice getting down there. It's a poor design unfortunately.
SZlpejc.jpg

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
The cotton adjustment tricks have been going on since day one with the penguin's. People either pull a majority of the cotton up the juice channel or poke holes. I've tried all them the first week or so the device was released and it helped with some coils. Hell, i even started to rebuild and run my own coils in the ceramic housings. (see below or back to about pg 10 of this thread) Regardless of what you do i believe wicking is limited by the design of the coil. It is only absorbing liquid from one side of the coil (the top) and if you continue to vape the juice in the bottom portion of the coil WILL vaporize and the cotton WILL dry out. The "new" liquid being pulled in via gravity and slight vacuum will hit the top of the coil first (for the most part) and most of it will be vaporized before it even makes it to the bottom half of the coil. That dry-ish cotton at the bottom will get ever drier. That's why almost all penguin coils (in my experience with about 30 vaped and dissected) will show the majority if not all the discoloration at the bottom of the coil. Little juice getting down there. It's a poor design unfortunately.
SZlpejc.jpg

I see what you are saying, and it makes sense. But why do some coils work so well?

Reactions: cooladdict

Fredean

Oct 9, 2014
Canada
I have another question about the Penguin, and forgive me if it's completely unrelated to the coil issue.

Since I am getting 479 F from vaping .25 ohm while modded with the 50% airflow (Actual Temperatures inside a Penguin SE | E-Cigarette Forum), am I at risk of inhaling unsafe amounts of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde? And with my chain vaping, I'm probably going up to 500 F...

I'm not too sure I understand the study completely from (and I got lost in the comments section) : New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

Should I just stick to the .6 and try to poke holes inside them since the temperate seems to be lower? Or would poking holes inside the .6 lead to an increase in temperature similar to the .25 ohm for some reason?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I have another question about the Penguin, and forgive me if it's completely unrelated to the coil issue.

Since I am getting 479 F from vaping .25 ohm while modded with the 50% airflow (Actual Temperatures inside a Penguin SE | E-Cigarette Forum), am I at risk of inhaling unsafe amounts of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde? And with my chain vaping, I'm probably going up to 500 F...

I'm not too sure I understand the study completely from (and I got lost in the comments section) : New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

Should I just stick to the .6 and try to poke holes inside them since the temperate seems to be lower? Or would poking holes inside the .6 lead to an increase in temperature similar to the .25 ohm for some reason?
According to Wang, you are getting some nasties at 479.

But dont panic, it is like the "risk continuum" that the FDA just spoke about. Even at 479 you are exposed to far less harm than smoking tobacco. 430 is less risk than 479, and 479 is far less risk than tobacco

Especially if you just recently quit, I wouldnt worry about anything other than staying off the tobacco. Vape whatever works for you. Later on you can experiment with further harm reduction if you want, but right now you have already taken the biggest and most important step.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
I see what you are saying, and it makes sense. But why do some coils work so well?

Even the coils that wick really well dont wick near as well as say most Aspire or Kanger coils. Or even other Joyetech coils. The ones that "keep up" better likely have less cotton. If the Penguin utilized a design where the coil had two inlet ports, one on the left and right on the coil about mid way (vertically) down... thing would wick great!

Flavor is a total different story. I actually like a cool vape and that's great b/c the Penguin, with the coil so far from the mouth piece, vapes very cool. As a result of the distance and temperature the vapor is also not as dense or packed with flavor. I dig how it vapes... a cool, mellow vape that's not drenched in flavor... but man they need to go back to the drawing board on the coil design. They could utilize everything on the Penguin aside from the silicon pod base and redesign that along with a new dual-inlet coil and it would be stellar!

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
@mikepetro @Fredean @snow blind I think everyone is right in their ideas as to why these coils dry hit and burn. Which leaves @mikepetro question as to "why do some coils work so well" and all I can think of is maybe that boils down to individual vaping habits . I'm not a chain vaper, I average at minimum 15 seconds between a vape , usually longer. And my inhale time is never over 3 seconds per. vape. Which is maybe why my 3 coils are all still hitting good, with the one coil approaching 17 days, (flavor is diminishing, vape production still real good) just a thought. I do agree that Joyetech needs to somehow improve it

Reactions: dennism

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
@mikepetro @Fredean @snow blind I think everyone is right in their ideas as to why these coils dry hit and burn. Which leaves @mikepetro question as to "why do some coils work so well" and all I can think of is maybe that boils down to individual vaping habits . I'm not a chain vaper, I average at minimum 15 seconds between a vape , usually longer. And my inhale time is never over 3 seconds per. vape. Which is maybe why my 3 coils are all still hitting good, with the one coil approaching 17 days, (flavor is diminishing, vape production still real good) just a thought. I do agree that Joyetech needs to somehow improve it
17 days on one coil is great, but the real question is how many ml's of juice in those 17 days?

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
17 days on one coil is great, but the real question is how many ml's of juice in those 17 days?
I can't give a honest answer, I went thru 2 tanks (approx 16 ml) and then quit keeping track because I started to just keep the tank 4 ml and above thinking a fuller tank helped wicking , so I'm just guessing after that 16ml . 32 ml to 40 judging by what's left in that bottle of that flavor i'm using in it.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
May I ask? Why are ceramic coils beter? (Newbie here )
The penguin is not a ceramic coil, it is a ceramic housing, the coil is still wrapped in cotton. In my opinion I think ceramic coils give better flavor, and last longer than cotton coils. In my rotation I have a few estoc megas with euc coils and like them a lot.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
May I ask? Why are ceramic coils beter? (Newbie here )
They tend to last a LOT longer than the traditional cotton-wick coils, and the flavor and vapor produced by them is outstanding. They are easy to clean and reuse, too, which greatly extends their life expectancy. I started vaping on ceramic a couple of years ago when Vaporesso release the cCell and I use ceramic or ceramic hybrid whenever possible now. I also get much less spitback (usually none) from ceramic coils. Nothing worse than a mouthful of hot juice, lol! :)

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
The penguin is not a ceramic coil, it is a ceramic housing, the coil is still wrapped in cotton. In my opinion I think ceramic coils give better flavor, and last longer than cotton coils. In my rotation I have a few estoc megas with euc coils and like them a lot.
I agree! Vaporesso does ceramics right! One of my favorite tanks was my VECO Plus with an EUC coil in it but I piffed it to my son who wanted to quit smoking. I told him if he starts smoking again I want my setup back, lol (Predator with VECO). I still use the EUCs in other tanks, though, because I have the Atlantis-style adapter.

But it digress. Wouldn't it be cool if Joyetech came up with a real ceramic option for the Penguin?? Ceramic is an amazing wicking material when it's done right!

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Sheesh, I can't believe how densely these Penguin coils are wound. I can barely push a sharp needle through the cotton without shifting the whole wad inside the ceramic housing. Have any of you tried pulling out the cotton/coil and just re-wrapping the coil a little more loosely?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Sheesh, I can't believe how densely these Penguin coils are wound. I can barely push a sharp needle through the cotton without shifting the whole wad inside the ceramic housing. Have any of you tried pulling out the cotton/coil and just re-wrapping the coil a little more loosely?
Easy to get it out, not so easy to get it back in. The cotton itself is almost like a non-woven fabric, very dense. I have tried rewrapping a coil in rayon but never got it put back together properly.

As for sticking the needle in. Find a drill bit that just barely fits through the coil. Leave the drill bit in the coil while poking your hole, it will help to keep from deforming the coil.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
I have had my penguin now for a month and not a problem with the mtl coil. I am I might add a chain vaper. The coil is still going strong and no issue with dry hits. What I suspect is like with anything else that some one might be cloning them and people could be getting counterfeits. Mine passed verification and I have never looked back, its my car mod. The only thing that peeves me a mite is that the battery charge longevity is all not that great. Having said that it works as a pass through and a short coiled usb cord in the car is cool. It does recharge quick though so I am happy.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
They tend to last a LOT longer than the traditional cotton-wick coils, and the flavor and vapor produced by them is outstanding. They are easy to clean and reuse, too, which greatly extends their life expectancy. I started vaping on ceramic a couple of years ago when Vaporesso release the cCell and I use ceramic or ceramic hybrid whenever possible now. I also get much less spitback (usually none) from ceramic coils. Nothing worse than a mouthful of hot juice, lol! :)
Yep I agree, the Vaporesso was my favourite mod until the Penguin came along. What I like most about the Penguin it the ability to get spare tank cartridges and fill em up and take with you and you do not have to mess about in the car trying to top up your tank just pop in another tank cartridge with a pre installed coil and away you vape. Great idea IMHO. I must have a wee chuckle though, these being sub ohm units, a friend that used to vape 18mg nic put it in the Penguin and oh brother did he not get a bit of a nic OD. PMSL.....6mg 70VG 30PG mix does me well. I would not go higher in nic content in these units. The other thing I have noticed that using an Ultrasonic cleaner you can clean these coils reasonably well and extend their life span as well.

Reactions: cooladdict
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread