Throat Problems, had to quit, hate that, looking for support...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
First and foremost .... Welcome to the ECF. We will try to help

I personally am afraid we will start seeing more posts like this. I have been saying for a while now that when we do start seeing them it will most likely be caused by vaping e-liquids high in flavoring and those that vape massive amounts of it. Most pre-made e-liquid has way to much flavoring.

Way back before I started making my own I would dilute the e-liquid I purchased. I could turn a 30ml bottle into a 120ml bottle and the flavor was still almost to much. Since I had to do that with pre-made It just made sense to me to just go full on DIY. I've not bought any pre-made for at least 5 years. Won one but couldn't vape it after getting used to my own mixes.

It could very well be that your body is finally rebelling against all that flavoring in your Halo e-liquid. I won one of their contests. I couldn't vape the e-liquid I received without diluting it down to just a few drops of it mixed with unflavored.

You also haven't said how you pull the vape in. Do you do a straight to the lung hit (DL) or do you hold it in your mouth first and then pull it down into your lungs (MTL)? I personally do what I call a mouth through nose hit (MTN). I never pull it down to my lungs. I draw it into my mouth, hold it for a second or so and then let it out through both mouth and nose. I actually try to keep it out of my throat.

If you want to keep vaping it is possible that you just need to make some changes in the way you do it and the e-liquid you use to do it. There is no right or wrong way. The right way for you is the one that works for you.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Absolutely, I've had that thought...

I didn't mean to state the obvious, and, your condition sounds too severe to fiddle around with various liquids attempting to figure it out / find relief.

One red flag, if you'll excuse the term, is your support links, they have zero credibility, not based on anything scientificly or medically supported.

Some folks on a vaping forum just have zero tolerance for anything negative being said about vaping, the use of links like those are met with skepticism making it difficult for some folks to take your posts seriously.

I've said it numerous times,, I know as many folks that have tried and just flat can't vape due to some type of a reaction as I know folks that do vape everyday.
I also know many long term vapers that had to quit I guess from an increasing intolerance to one or more ingredients over time.

Halo is another popular company that uses huge amounts of flavorings & sweeteners in their liquids. Yup, even the ones advertised as subtle, very light flavor or non sweet.
Halo considers their standard liquids pg/ vg ratios proprietary information they are unwilling to share, strangely they do say their high VG line is 30pg / 70vg.

I have a sensitivity to high VG liquids, I do not vape any liquids that don't specifically state PG/VG ratio.

Last edited:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I can't and won't speak on your health issues, that's something you have to work out with your dr. I do want to say a word on your expense issue. I was vaping 1-2 weeks when I realized there was no way I would save any money over smoking if I continued to buy "premium" liquid and factory coils. As soon as I found out I *could* make my own liquid and coils I knew I wanted to, and as a result my liquid and coils cost next to nothing. Good luck on figuring out what's wrong.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have the same symptoms when I use any liquids with more than 50% PG. PG can be quite irritating for some. For me, its awful. I get a sore throat, itching, just a general "raw" feeling.

If I were you, again, just my uneducated, un scientifically backed suggestion, is Id cut down a bit on the nic level, try some 50/50 unflavored liquid and see if that helps.

You might also drip a few drops on your tongue to help with the nic fits.

I dont know if you already did, but I did not see any info on what gear, and settings you are using.
Dirty coils, dirty gear can hold on to lots of bacteria and if youve had a cold or flu they might be festering in there. Also, some people use the same coil for a long time, some say months? Are you sure they are really clean? I cant use a coil for longer than about 30mls worth. I can taste a difference even though I constantly dry burn and wash and scrub with tiny micro brushes.

Again, this might even be something completely different, not even related, but irritated by the PG.

Neighbors plant some night blooming Jasmine? Pampas Grass blooming, new pet? Neighbor using a new weed killer, all those things can be causing problems and of course the Halo 90% PG does not help.

If you are vaping more than 20mls a day and using high wattage and low resistance, 5 years of that can be causing too much heat.

Gerd, Acid Reflux is a horrible thing to live with and it gets worse as one ages. Ive been taking 40mg Omerprazole for years, and it helps, but when stress hits me, fear, eat the wrong foods, etc,.... It makes me very sick and cant keep anything down.

You mentioned a Hiatal hernia, that is very painful and related to the Acid reflux/ GERD. It all means that gastric liquid is leaking from the stomachs sphincter and going up your throat. Very caustic, and combined with the high PG, you are not doing your self any good.

Definitely keep communicating with your doctor. Try the unflavored 50/50 mix and check on your atomizers, make sure they are clean and change the coil more often.

You mentioned beer, thats one of the worst for gastric problems. Also drinking beer usually means a few beers to that also aggravates the stomach by filling it more than needed once combined with food. Lots of beer drinkers end up with gastric problems because when you drink you eat, over eat and tend to eat foods that are fatty and spicy which leaks up and starts the damage. THat is what caused mine. Combo of beer, spicy foods and over eating.

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
if I'm reading correctly, the e-liquid has been a constant for longer than the problem has existed. (no? .. . maybe?)

One thing that can cause rather severe sore throat (and, I believe, swelling) is Nickel sensitivity.
Perhaps OP switched coil/wire composition, or brand, a couple years ago? . . . six months ago? Nichrome and SS wires have substantial Nickel content. (others too? IDK. Kanthal doesn't.)

Most folks that I know of figured out that it was the Nickel causing their sore throat rather quickly (benefits of forum participation, in part) and stopped using it. I've no idea what 2 years of continued exposure might look like. I do believe that prolonged exposure, with such a thing, will only make the symptoms progressively worse.

factoids not pertinent to topic:

Nickel sensitivity can also present (just btw and fyi) in the dietary realm as skin problems (itchy, "eczema"-type, blistery, yada). Certain foods need to be avoided.

Also, cigarette smoking can lead to permanent Nickel sensitivity (or so I read). So, it's not unlikely that ex-smoking vapers would have a bit higher proportion of such problems ( . . . higher than the average 10-16% of the population).

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
...I was really tired last night - forgot to move this to Health, Safety and Vaping :)

(I had a crazy afternoon and yeppers, my throat is closing up...doing the "F F F F" breathing exercises to relax it)

Reflux is a nasty devil !!

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
I posted this is another thread a few weeks ago, but thought it might be helpful here.

I was "diagnosed" with copd 4 years after I stopped smoking and started vaping. I started at 24mg and have been at 6mg for the past 3-4 years.

I was extremely frustrated and questioned the diagnosis, as I wasn't having any lung issues per se, went to the pulmonologist, etc. put on 3 inhalers with no relief.

Fast forward to this year, still unconvinced I have copd, and breathing issues have progressed to the point I don't have a life. Feel like something is struck in my throat, noisy breathing, all the same type of issues. Now I find out I have "silent reflux" along with a sliding hiatal hernia.

Here's the kicker - silent reflux happens at night, no other symptoms and it's often misdiagnosed as copd. Noisy breathing, hoarseness, trouble breathing. It also erodes the esophagus and with strictures causes narrowing and inflammation - MAKING IT HARD TO BREATH. The sliding hiatal hernia also pushes against the diaphragm which is next to the lungs.

Mint/menthol is also a trigger have had to drop that type of flavorings entirely.

Doc prescribed 40mg of omiprezole a day, and to help the throat/esophagus inflammation I picked up some minuka honey.

I've been on the omiprezole now for a little over 4 weeks, my sleeping has improved, breathing is much better (though not back 100%) I'm learning to stay away from trigger foods late in the day. I also don't pick up the vape first thing in the morning and I'm amazed at the difference and how it can get mis diagnosed.

hth!]

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
My wife and I have different issues. However, we both cut down store made liquid drastically with 80% unflavored.

I cannot tolerate high VG because it makes me gunky with my COPD. So I use 80% PG.

My wife cannot tolerate PG...sore throat and blisters. She uses 95% VG and 5% DW.

And yet we've been married for 42 years. Go figure.

plasma800

Aug 25, 2017
I wanted to circle back to this.

I did go see an ENT, and he did the ole' scope up the nose routine. By the way, if anyone has to have this done, opt to NOT take the spray up the nose. I did it this time with no deadening spray, and it was actually WAY more pleasant.

Anyway, he didn't see anything alarming.

I did a barium swallow (again) and am waiting any results there, but early indications show nothing.

I caved on quitting, and have started vaping again.. however, this time I changed the rules.

The rule I have set for myself is: I will only vape on the toilet. No kidding, no vaping anywhere else, not in the car, not in the garage, not at my computer, not in front of my family. The things stays in my toilet room, and that's that.

I'm now going to need to a see a hemorrhoid doctor.. just kidding, but not really.

I bought some Kai's virgin vapor, not realizing it was 100% VG, and it looks REALLY THICK. I haven't opened the bottles, I'm nervous to try them in my stupid apsire 2 tank and BVC or whatever coils. Thinking they might be too thick to work in this mod, so I'm continuing on halo for now.

I'm interested in making my own, but have zero idea how to go about this.

Next I'm back to a gastro doctor to see what's up there. I've been really careful with the foods, but suspect the gerd is a a problem still.

Recently, i've gone SUPER careful on the food, and that seems to improve things. I was careful before, but now i'm UBER serious about it.

Also bought some manuka honey and making tea from it with Candula drops.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I did the scope through the nose thing as a smoker, not pleasant.

Just an FYI, if you do want to try that new juice, I have to use max VG because I'm sensitive to PG. I will sometimes add a few drops of H20 to my tank, to thin it a bit. The Nautilus and the tiny BVC coils-- I make sure I prime that thing thoroughly and actually keep inhaling a couple seconds after I finish with the fire button. I find it wicks juice up nicely and consistently into my coil. I have not run into wicking issues using this method. I'd say my coil life is slightly decreased, but I've never had a dry hit using this method, even in the 1.8 coil, though I do prefer the 1.6 for vaping (and on occasion, the 0.7).

So, you may be able to go ahead with your trial of the new juice, regardless. Best of luck with it!

If you want more PG, the easiest way to start DIY might be to order a small bottle of PG and switch your Max VG to whatever you want-- you'd sacrifice a bit of flavor and a bit of nicotine, but you might find the right ratio for yourself....

Anna

Reactions: DQuit

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm going to make some observations here. First, you have an already existing condition that is completely and 100% unrelated to vaping that, of all things means your lower esophageal sphincter is weak or relaxes inappropriately. You are stating that this is suddenly happening in spades (worse than ever before) especially when lying down. You have other conditions, again, unrelated to vaping, which also gives you problems and can exacerbate the problems your now complaining of.

This is good to know, and 1) should have been made clear in the first post.

So what your saying is that you quit vaping and found a marked improvement in symptoms that are initially caused by things unrelated to vaping.

This means, that something in your vaping is exacerbating already existing conditions. Good to know. From here, it's a matter of finding out what exactly is causing those symptoms to exacerbate which might be in your vape juice. You can tick off the list one by one. Remove PG, does that help? Remove Nicotine. Does that help? Remove flavorings. Does that help? I'm sure you can see the pattern here. You need to find out what properties, or what brand, of e juice is causing the exacerbation. It's something, and it's probably new. Did halo change where they sourced a particular ingredient? Don't know.. But something is causing your already existing medical problems to exacerbate. So your job is to find out what that thing is, if you want to continue to vape.

That said, I smoked like I vape, meaning I smoked at the computer, in the bathroom, in the car, everywhere... I smoked. I was not the person to be relegated to the out of doors to smoke. I didn't often visit non smokers because of it and rarely ate out due to it.

I had serious withdrawals from smoking even though I vaped the same way, literally everywhere..

I have also quit vaping, twice, although I'm back to vaping atm. The thing about vaping is while you got over the more serious aspects of the addiction involved in smoking, it replaces the habits you learned over the course of years; the hand to mouth habit, nicotine intake, etc. Shopping for vape gear also becomes somewhat of a habit too.. But those are HABITS (not addiction there is a difference) that you simply still have to learn to overcome, if you are to quit vaping.

It's MUCH easier to quit vaping than to quit smoking, your problem is that you've gained more habits in vaping than you ever had while you smoked because you never smoked indoors.. so instead of replacing one habit with another, you made gains. ( Again, we are talking habit here which is different than addiction).

What you need to do is first taper your behavior... getting off nicotine prior to quitting vaping might help you, then stop vaping indoors, relegate yourself to only vaping outside. Replace the hand to mouth habits with things like water. I found putting a bottle of water where I keep my vape to be helpful, and then taking a sip of water instead of vaping. Exercise more. Find other things and other ways to occupy your hands...

It gets easier. But your brain makes pathways and you have to retrain your brain to do other things instead of what your doing now...

Last edited:

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I bought some Kai's virgin vapor, not realizing it was 100% VG, and it looks REALLY THICK. I haven't opened the bottles, I'm nervous to try them in my stupid apsire 2 tank and BVC or whatever coils. Thinking they might be too thick to work in this mod, so I'm continuing on halo for now.

You can thin the VG with some distilled water. Don't use tap water or de-ionized water. I really feel like Halo is among the most strongly flavored retail eliquids, and wouldn't be my personal choice with a problem like this. DIY is not hard, and offers the opportunity to control every aspect of your juice. We can help with suggestions and ideas if you decide to go that way; just post in the DIY section!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it were me trying to isolate, I'd start with unflavored DIY, I'd mix a high PG and a high VG. I'd vape each to see which exacerbated my sx. You could try 0 nic as well, if that's your desire.

Easy to get those first supplies, most DIY wholesalers are going to give you decent ingredients, you might start with Nude Nicotine or Nicotine River but there are a bunch of them. Some of the pinned threads in DIY might help you, but you could easily get small amounts of PG, VG, and a nic base as well as a few bottles and some measuring equipment fairly inexpensively. Then, if you find an unflavored vape that works for you, you can try different single flavors (this would appear to me to be JUST like trying different foods) to see what, if any, flavors exacerbate your condition.

If it were me, I'd be doing this post haste. It's really easy with a decent juice calculator, or you can mix by weight...

Good luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread