Good morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Elizabeth, are you a vaper? It's kind of an interesting time to open a vape shop, but if one is needed in your location (you didn't list it) might be useful to talk to some of the vendors on ECF (they have their own areas on the board, if they are approved vendors) to see how they approached it....

Best of luck and welcome to ECF. I wish I could open a vape shop, that would be fun. No point in my location, there are jillions of all types, the vape market is pretty flooded (though as a consumer, I don't mind that at all).

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Have a business plan, and make sure the plan includes expecting the unexpected.

The one thing about being self-employed that the radio and internet ads don't tell you is that "The Boss" is with you 24/7.

When they say "work your own hours" they don't mean 24/7. But that's what it is.

Have enough capital to stay open if you don't pay yourself for two years.

And pray for good luck.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome.

Become as knowledgeable about your product as possible-- this board is a good place to start.

Take a look around your area at other shops to see what they're selling, AKA what they're customers are buying.

A big inventory can kill you, and you can't be all things to all men unless you're made of money. Chances are, you're going to sell a lot more Spinner batteries than $300 custom rigs. It's OK to have a few in the display case for the customers to drool on, but don't bet the ranch on selling a lot of them.

The real money is in the consumables: wick, wire, disposable cartos, coils, juice, etc. Keep a good stock of those. Learn how to DIY your "house juice" and make it tasty and top quality as reasonably as you can set the price. Another option is to find a local brewer who's willing to work with you on it, maybe make you a custom blend or two, or put your labels on, etc. You'll also need some "gourmet" juices from national manufacturers, but hopefully not a lot.

Be careful about whom you hire: you don't want teenage kids who sit in the lounge and blow cloud with their buddies to the point they won't wait on the customers or talk to anybody who doesn't have a 10 zillion watt mod.

If possible, put you "tasting bar/vape lounge" away from the bulk of the customers. You're gonna get some cloud fiends in there, and the tootle puffers don't want that atmosphere.

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
Welcome. Congrats on your ambition. The only prob I see is you have to find a high traffic location with little established competition near you. Kind of late in the game to find that in most areas.
Here’s the problem. A vape shop only survives if you get a constant turn over of new customers. When I first started on July 4, my wife and I were in the vape shop 2 to 3 Times s week. After the first 5 weeks, I haven’t been back there except to buy a little something just as a courtesy for getting me started.
I buy all my hardware and juice online. I get all my info here. Unfortunately, that’s probably how it is for most members, especially the builders and diy gang.
It’s a tough retail business I would think. There’s always a few regulars that will always go for the in person interaction.But I don’t think you’ll keep the doors open without a rotation of new customers. Only my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread