Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
The high point of this cheapo Icarus clone is several very nice pieces of anodized aluminum. Unfortunately, those nice pieces fit too loosely, and with otherwise sub-par components, the mod simply didn't work well. Rather than scrap it, I used the frame and made new doors and button, swapped in a few better components, and tuned it all up.

8nIvgiG.jpg

IMG_20170922_010039_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMG_20170922_010048_picmonkeyed.jpg

IMG_20170922_010211_picmonkeyed.jpg

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Is the inner part of the body insulated? Or is just the contact insulated? I'm assuming the battery goes in positive down like most of these style mods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Right, the contact strip is insulated, and positive down for the battery.

Reactions: EddieAdams

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
So many modders and no-one has given me info on how to revive and polish old derlin.. Almost seems top secret. Ive see modders scuff and dirty white derlin while making mods. At the end it looks flawless. Whats the secret?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
I've heard you can use Micromesh in various grits to get a nice finish on Delrin.I have 2 that i got a decent polish on with a simple 4 sided nail buffer,it cost like $3 at Walmart haha.

Reactions: NGAHaze

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
So many modders and no-one has given me info on how to revive and polish old derlin.. Almost seems top secret. Ive see modders scuff and dirty white derlin while making mods. At the end it looks flawless. Whats the secret?

Flitz? The stuff is amazing for putting a shine on things.

p_749001168_1.jpg

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
I've heard you can use Micromesh in various grits to get a nice finish on Delrin.I have 2 that i got a decent polish on with a simple 4 sided nail buffer,it cost like $3 at Walmart haha.
You mean that 4 side color buffer thats used for nails? I think my wife has one laying around the house..( evil grin) What do you use with it?
Im looking for the magic fix... I mean i seen modders scuff sh...up with the files and the end result is like magic.
I have read so many things but i want the sure thing. Not looking to mess my sh..up...

Reactions: b.m.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
You mean that 4 side color buffer thats used for nails? I think my wife has one laying around the house..( evil grin) What do you use with it?
Im looking for the magic fix... I mean i seen modders scuff sh...up with the files and the end result is like magic.
I have read so many things but i want the sure thing. Not looking to mess my sh..up...

Yeah those are the ones.I just used it by itself,i didn't use anything else with it,i also didn't use all 4 sides.The 2 roughest sides i skipped over and just the finest grit side and the smooth buffing side.I didn't get a great shine,but it took the swirls and such off and gave it a sort of a dull shine.I probably could have worked it more and got a better polish,but the swirls were the main reason i did it anyway.

Itasquonker

Oct 11, 2017
Hi Everyone, I've been a big a fan of this thread for awhile.
I'm not sure if this counts, but here's an Evic AIO and Dripbox that i took apart/combined to make my FrankenSquonk. So far works pretty well...easy to fill. The squonk hole is small though. When I get a chance I'll 3D print a the door with larger opening. View attachment 594419 View attachment 594421 View attachment 594423 View attachment 594425 View attachment 594427
This is awesome! Do you have some more pic of the modification? How does it fire now (isn't it like the billetbox where below the tank there's the positive connection of the atom/head?) Great job!

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Another subject that I dont see modders posting much on is types of paint used on mods. Its more like trial and error....
What paints are good to use on die cast, aluminum and derlin mods? Enamele, ceramic or acrylic?

After painting a few bottem feeders I learned that oders will seep into the bottles. So what are the best paints to use that will work well, endure and most importantly not smell bad..... Is there an oder neutralizing processes after using paints that smell?

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
honestly when it comes to mods I don't think paint really has any place on them. paint is just never going to be durable enough unless you really baby the mod. now powder coating on a metal mod may not be so bad I guess, but even there it's prolly only a matter of time before it starts to get chipped and scratched.

for mods I would say it's far better to do something that is more durable, like anodizing for a metal mod, or dying for some plastics.... delrin can be dyed with cloth dye in boiling water and this will at least give some penetration of color into the material and be much more durable than a paint that is only going to lay on top and try to stay stuck on something that almost nothing really sticks well to.

if you do insist on painting a mod then I would suggest that only for the more harder materials like steel and some of the high grade aluminums... paint on plastic can of course be done but really it's just not going to be so durable in most cases. if you are going to try to paint plastics then I'd recommend at least using a paint that is specifically designed for plastics, that will at least give you your best chance of it lasting a bit at least. I'm NOT looking to put anyone down who does paint a mod, I'm only sharing my own personal opinion and of course there will always be exceptions to the rule too, it's actually not impossible to do paint that can be durable but that is going to take some trial and error and the right prep work...

Bdubd

Nov 27, 2017
Cincinnati
hey guys, this thread is specifically for custom built or highly modified bottom feeders.... I've seen many cool custom made bottom feeders throughout the years here on ECF but each one has there own thread that gets seen a bit by a few, then gets buried and fades away... I've seen some really cool builds but now if I wanted to find any of them I couldn't. many of us start out in the reo forum but then when we start to get into anything outside of the reo we can no longer comfortably discuss it in reoville because lets face it, reoville is paid for and sponsored for reo's, not custom mods...

we have a thread here for high end mechanical mods and we have a thread for high end VV/VW devices, well here is a place to discuss anything custom bottom feed, weather you built a masterpiece yourself or have modified an existing bottom feeder, reo or not... post it up. have questions bout building a bottom feeder? post it up... this thread is for home made or modified bottom feeders and anything that has to do with building or modifying a bottom feeder. this thread was created to have a place to discuss all things bottom feed as up until now there really was no one go to thread for building and modifying bottom feeders

I'l add some pictures of my bottom feeders later because this thread is not about my bottom feeders it's for every one of you custom bottom feeder builders out there... so lets see what you've got :D
Here's mine I just printed it today . It's my First time trying it.

Attachments

• IMG_20171201_121920.jpg
    IMG_20171201_121920.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread