retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I have but one question (I was always afraid to ask ;)). What is the "Search child forums as well" box for? We have child forums here? Or is this some technical term I'm not familiar with? Either way, I find it rather perplexing. :D

Child forums are any subforum under the forum you're searching in.

For example. If you're searching for a post in General e-liquid discussion, there are 3 "child" forums under that forum. DIY eliquid, Liquid Extraction from Tobacco and e-liquid Recipes.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Child forums are any subforum under the forum you're searching in.

For example. If you're searching for a post in General E-Liquid discussion, there are 3 "child" forums under that forum. DIY Eliquid, Liquid Extraction from Tobacco and E-Liquid Recipes.

Thanks, Retired1! Now I'm really, truly unperplexed. :thumb:

Is there a reason we don't call them subforums (subfora), then? You know, just in case ANTZ are lurking? ;)

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The terms are interchangeable.

For you, geeks. :D

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I kinda figured it out, but the word "child" just still doesn't sit well with me, especially here. But I'm technologically challenged and don't know the lingo, so I'll adjust. It's not a problem.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Ooooooooooooo. Speak nerdy to me. ;)

For you, geeks. :D

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I kinda figured it out, but the word "child" just still doesn't sit well with me, especially here. But I'm technologically challenged and don't know the lingo, so I'll adjust. It's not a problem.

Now that I've had some sleep, here's the low down on why we use the term "child" when dealing with "geek stuff". :D

Generally, the term "child" refers to a multiprocessing task that has been forked from its parent. A parent can have multiple child processes, but a child process can only have one parent. In some cases, a parent process can die for some reason or another, resulting in an orphaned process. That process is then adopted by init.

For Winderz systems, instead of forking, child processes are spawned.

So a lot of that terminology carried over to forums when they were first designed, with subforums often referred to as "child" forums.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
In some cases, a parent process can die for some reason or another, resulting in an orphaned process.

Oh no. How sad...
That process is then adopted by init.

Whew! That's better. :D

For Winderz systems, instead of forking, child processes are spawned.

2VzmC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread