Building a mechanical push switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Anybody out there have any idea how to build a fully mechanical switch for a mech mod, or can point towards a tutorial? Preferably in brass, copper or combo.

My attempts to buy one in the uk have have been fruitless so far, so I have been stuck with mosfet dependent switches, which are good but, you know, less satisfying.

Thanks in advance.

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
good morning dutty. do you have a lathe or access to one? open my profile to the media button to see an example of a four piece button that is relatively bullet proof. if you are interested i can dismantle one to show the parts.
tube mechs seem to have fallen out of favor with the majority of modern vapers

Here is a guy on YouTube that I have watched and he builds a fully mechanical box mod. I built one and it works awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Wheelin. Yeah I have seen this video. This switch is what I aspire to, however I don't have the parts yet so I am settling with mosfet switches for the time being. Genius though!

Reactions: Wheelin247
good morning dutty. do you have a lathe or access to one? open my profile to the media button to see an example of a four piece button that is relatively bullet proof. if you are interested i can dismantle one to show the parts.
tube mechs seem to have fallen out of favor with the majority of modern vapers

Hey homeuser. Thanks for your response. Which media is it though. I am having trouble finding the one you're referring to. Extremely interested to see this switch though.

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
dismantled pic coming soon
upload_2017-10-18_8-7-4.png

2 tubes ,2 510s, 2 switches

Thank you. I forgot to mention that I don't have a lathe, but I could gain access to one. This is inspiration though and I really appreciate you going out of your way for me. I'm bowled over by what a friendly, helpful bunch you all are.

Anyway I have a switch design (which I made up), to crack on with today. Wish me luck :)

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
dutty, so let's see it. don't neglect to show us your work. i'm liking the idea of a cardboard prototype mod (at least for proof of concept). but no vaping in the rain:lol:. a few years ago this forum was full of creative individuals making mods and atties out of copper pipe and broken light bulbs and toaster wire. i miss that. twenty buck tube mechs and thirty buck circuit board mods kind of squelched that ingenuity and a rash of battery incidents didn't help. although a box mod kit is not so inspiring to me, it would be way easier to pull off with a minimum of tools (like wheelin's example). the big picture here is ditching the analogs so keep at it.

dutty, so let's see it. don't neglect to show us your work. i'm liking the idea of a cardboard prototype mod (at least for proof of concept). but no vaping in the rain:lol:. a few years ago this forum was full of creative individuals making mods and atties out of copper pipe and broken light bulbs and toaster wire. i miss that. twenty buck tube mechs and thirty buck circuit board mods kind of squelched that ingenuity and a rash of battery incidents didn't help. although a box mod kit is not so inspiring to me, it would be way easier to pull off with a minimum of tools (like wheelin's example). the big picture here is ditching the analogs so keep at it.

OK here it is! (the cardboard box not the switch). That's two Sony 5a's in there with a genuine Druga on top. Unfortunately I have now butchered it for parts. But it served a purpose in that I showed myself that I could do it. Plus it chucked, which was nice.

I agree that the box mod thing is less exciting. I am a cloud chaser and for me it's about the challenge of building on something small and simple, but getting a huge result! If I had more tools I would be building tubes, but as I don't I'm aiming to build multi battery mods to replace the excitement lost through building boxes.

I've just started on a plastic parallel mod. It's only two batteries but I gotta start somewhere. I'll show you in a bit :)

parralel mech 001.png

Reactions: homeuser6

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
"Plus it chucked, which was nice."
that's what i'm talkin about. it will work. now the real work begins. you know, there could be a revision or two along the way like ergonomics or construction techniques. so far so good. my opinion doesn't count for much ,but i'm lovin it.
keep posting
edit
it occurred to me that i should admit that i am biased in favor of anything homemade

Last edited:
"Plus it chucked, which was nice."
that's what i'm talkin about. it will work. now the real work begins. you know, there could be a revision or two along the way like ergonomics or construction techniques. so far so good. my opinion doesn't count for much ,but i'm lovin it.
keep posting
edit
it occurred to me that i should admit that i am biased in favor of anything homemade

I'm actually buzzing that somebody is interested in what I'm doing!

OK some pics for you perusal:

There's my latest (work in progress) parallel box. It's made from the plastic container my royal hunter rda came in. It's a aqueeze but hopehully should be sufficient.

...And the mehanical switch! made from brass screws, copper washers/spacers and a mech recycled spring. I'm busy for a few days now so I may not be able to test it for a bit but I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for your encouragement BTW :)

20171020_074516.png
20171020_074340.png

Attachments

• 20171020_074340.png
    20171020_074340.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread